• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Video: What's the Big Deal about the King James Version of the Bible? By Sam Gipp

• Members

John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

To which "Scriptures" does Jesus tell the Pharisees to search?

Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Is the Alexandrian text "the word of God"?

1 Corinthians 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

1 Corinthians 15:2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

1 Corinthians 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

When presenting the Gospel, it must be "according to the scriptures"!

• Members

Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. In order to be saved, one must believe that Christ died according to the Scriptures, that He was buried, and that He rose again according to the Scriptures.

What christ is the Alexandrian text translations presenting? One that lied? Can't be the one that died according to the Scriptures. One that was a sinner like us? Can't be the one who died according to the Scriptures.

Sorry, I just don't buy it. The christ of the ATT's is a different christ,

Do you think that a person headed for hell is going to stop you from telling them how Jesus can save them from hell and ask what text are you using? No, all they want to know is how to be saved. I got saved from a TV show and he did not even read Scripture. I got saved because I believed that Jesus died to pay for my sins, that He was buried and resurrected three days later and the only way I can be saved is by Him. I did not hear Scripture to believe that, after I got saved and began reading the Bible that is when everything else fell into place.

I teach 4 year olds about Jesus I cannot quote multiple verses of Scripture to them word for word. You mean to tell me they are not saved because I did not quote word for word Scripture to them?

We grow in Christ as we learn of Him after we are saved, thousands of people are presented the Gospel, the death, burial, and resurrection of a sinless Christ. You do not need Scripture to believe that. Anyone who is saved, even someone who just got saved 5 minutes ago can tell someone how to get saved not knowing word for word Scripture. My 4 year olds can tell someone about Jesus.

The Holy Spirit guides us, now if they corrupt it and preach another Gospel, then I agree, they are not presenting the truth, therefore, they would not be saved.

• Members

Doesn't matter. If I am presenting a Jesus from a text that presents him as a liar or a sinner, then that is not the Jesus who saves. I may as well be trying to lead him to believe in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy.

It is impossible to lead anyone to Christ without the Scripture. Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God.

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

• Members

It is impossible to lead anyone to Christ without the Scripture. Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God.

The scripture is the "word of God" but though the "word of God" will never contradict the bible it does not always have to be scripture.

Examples:

"Luke 3:2 Annas and Caiaphas being the high priests, the word of God came unto John the son of Zacharias in the wilderness."

"Acts 6:7 And the word of God increased; and the number of the disciples multiplied in Jerusalem greatly; and a great company of the priests were obedient to the faith."

"Acts 12:24 But the word of God grew and multiplied."

"Acts 19:20 So mightily grew the word of God and prevailed."

"1 Thessalonians 2:13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe."

"Revelation 19:13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God."

There is the living Word of God, Jesus Christ, there is the written word of God, and there is the spoken word of God which can either come from God directly, or from a messenger. When someone is accurately presenting the gospel even without scripture to the extent they are presenting the gospel accurately they are speaking the word of God. Much like the way the KJV, because it is a faithful translation, is still the written word of God, despite the fact that the scriptures were not initially given in English.

As Christ said:

"John 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth."

And as the apostle John said:

"1 John 1:5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all."

In a very real sense all genuine truth is the word of God and vice versa, thus "the heavens declare the glory of God" etc.

• Members

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

• Members

If I came to you with the ESV and showed you that Jesus Christ died on the cross, was buried, and rose again, and told you that if you placed your trust in this Jesus in order to be saved, I would be misleading you. The Jesus of the ESV is a liar and not qualified to die for any man's sins.

If you placed your trust in that Jesus of the ESV or the Jesus of any other Alexandrian text translation, you would be just as lost as them man who rejects the Jesus of the KJV.

A liar cannot save you no matter if he did die and come back to life.

A Jesus who is not virgin born cannot save. A Jesus who is not God cannot save.

We must believe in the Jesus of Scripture in order to receive eternal life. Any other Jesus will take us to hell.

• Members

If I came to you with the ESV and showed you that Jesus Christ died on the cross, was buried, and rose again, and told you that if you placed your trust in this Jesus in order to be saved, I would be misleading you.

So, you say if something that is the truth comes from a less than ideal source that somehow makes it no longer the truth? Your wrong. Balaam was a false teacher that is most likely in hell, yet he spoke the word of God on several occasions. Caiaphas the high priest spoke the word of God in John 11:49-52 though he was a major player in the crucifiction of Christ. The truth remains the truth unless something is added to it or taken away from it that changes it. At what point do you draw the line? If someone was to secretly write "Jesus was a liar" in the back of your copy of the KJV without you knowing would that false statement now written in your bible mean someone couldn't get saved from reading your copy of the KJV? Silly I know, but not much more silly than you claiming the source one hears the gospel from determines whether or not a person is saved rather than simply repentance and faith toward God in the heart through the truth of the gospel itself regardless of the source.

• Members

This is my last comment on this matter, yes, it is possible to be saved without Scripture, I got saved without Scripture and if you tell me that I am not saved because I did not hear Scripture at that time then you are wrong. If you are trying to say that the kids in my Sunday school class are not saved because they did not hear King James Scripture word for word than you are also wrong. Believing in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ and accepting Him saves you and only believing in Jesus Christ and accepting Him saves you, Scripture confirms your salvation. Yes, the KJV is the true Word of God, but like I said earlier, no one is going to stop you and ask you what Bible version you are using.

What a person needs to hear from the plan of salvation is 5 things, 1. I am a sinner 2. The price for sin is death and hell 3. Jesus died to pay that price, He was buried and three days later arose, to give us victory over death. 4. God has a gift, that gift is eternal life through Jesus Christ. 5. To receive His gift you need to believe the last four things and ask Jesus to save you.

"That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." - John 3:15-18.

There are a lot of churches out there that are ignorant to the fact that they have the wrong Bible, but they know the Gospel, they have just been misguided. You have no right to say that someone is not saved because they were quoted Bible verses that did not come from the King James Bible. That must mean that people before the King James was published are not saved either. It is not our job to question anyone's salvation, but to guide them once they are saved.

Edited by byhisstrength

• Members

So, you say if something that is the truth comes from a less than ideal source that somehow makes it no longer the truth? Your wrong. Balaam was a false teacher that is most likely in hell, yet he spoke the word of God on several occasions. Caiaphas the high priest spoke the word of God in John 11:49-52 though he was a major player in the crucifiction of Christ. The truth remains the truth unless something is added to it or taken away from it that changes it. At what point do you draw the line? If someone was to secretly write "Jesus was a liar" in the back of your copy of the KJV without you knowing would that false statement now written in your bible mean someone couldn't get saved from reading your copy of the KJV? Silly I know, but not much more silly than you claiming the source one hears the gospel from determines whether or not a person is saved rather than simply repentance and faith toward God in the heart through the truth of the gospel itself regardless of the source.
The fact is, the ESV paints Jesus as being a liar, therefore, the statement in that translation that Jesus died, was buried and rose again the third day is false. It was not a lying Christ that died, was buried and rose again, but rather a sinless Christ.

One cannot lead another to a saving faith by pointing them to a false Christ.

• Members

This is my last comment on this matter, yes, it is possible to be saved without Scripture, I got saved without Scripture and if you tell me that I am not saved because I did not hear Scripture at that time then you are wrong. If you are trying to say that the kids in my Sunday school class are not saved because they did not hear King James Scripture word for word than you are also wrong. Believing in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ and accepting Him saves you and only believing in Jesus Christ and accepting Him saves you, Scripture confirms your salvation. Yes, the KJV is the true Word of God, but like I said earlier, no one is going to stop you and ask you what Bible version you are using.

What a person needs to hear from the plan of salvation is 5 things, 1. I am a sinner 2. The price for sin is hell 3. Jesus died to pay that price, He was buried and three days later arose, to give us victory over death. 4. God has a gift, that gift is eternal life through Jesus Christ. 5. To receive His gift you need to believe the last four things and ask Jesus to save you.

"That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." - John 3:15-18.

There are a lot of churches out there that are ignorant to the fact that they have the wrong Bible, but they know the Gospel, they have just been misguided. You have no right to say that someone is not saved because they were quoted Bible verses that did not come from the King James Bible. That must mean that people before the King James was published are not saved either. It is not our job to question anyone's salvation, but to guide them once they are saved.

I guess the Word of God is false then, since it says faith comes by hearing and hearing the Word of God. One cannot be saved apart from the Word of God else the Word of God is a lie.

• Members

By the way, the price for our sin is not hell.

Jesus died on the cross for our sins. He paid the price for our sins. If one dies and goes to hell, he or she goes to hell with his or her sins already paid for.

The price for our sin is not hell, it is death.

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

• Members

The fact is, the ESV paints Jesus as being a liar, therefore, the statement in that translation that Jesus died, was buried and rose again the third day is false. It was not a lying Christ that died, was buried and rose again, but rather a sinless Christ.

One cannot lead another to a saving faith by pointing them to a false Christ.

I think you are being a little extreme about this.

• Members

There is a following of IB "believers" that I have crossed paths with on a few occasions. They believe that if a person was saved in a charismatic, pentecostal or any other denominational church besides their own then they were never saved in the first place. They also teach that if the gospel was NOT preached from the KJV 1611 AV, then it was a false gospel and a false Christ and thus a false conversion and the person was never saved. They use a warped doctrine twisted to suit there own agenda to convince believers that without the work of repentance their salvation is a lie - that it is repentance PLUS faith that saves and not faith alone that saves that then leads to repentance.
They are usually as hard and unforgiving as their doctrine and as un- Christlike as a person can get in character when confronted concerning this false doctrine.

Salvation is simple! Made that way to confound the wise regardless of who preaches it, what bible is used or what church you were in when you were saved - if you preach Christ on the cross - His death and resurrection - man's separation from God through sin - God's reconciliation to man through the FINISHED work of Christ - Christ who took man's sin upon Himself to save those who BELIEVE once and for all ETERNALLY - Grace not works, then you preach the truth and they that hear it have heard the truth.

• Members

If I handed a lost person a Bible that said Christ died on the cross for that man's sin, but that also stated that Christ was a liar (which most Alexandrian Text Translations do), then I have given that man a false gospel... telling him that a lying Christ died on the cross.

That lying Christ had no business going to the cross as he was not qualified to die for my sins or anyone else's sins.

The Bible you teach Christ out of has a lot of bearing as to whether you can lead one to Salvation or not. If the christ of that Bible is a liar, or sinful in any way, that Bible cannot lead one to the Christ that saves because it doesn't portray that Christ.

• Members
I got saved from a TV show and he did not even read Scripture. I got saved because I believed that Jesus died to pay for my sins, that He was buried and resurrected three days later and the only way I can be saved is by Him. I did not hear Scripture to believe that, after I got saved and began reading the Bible that is when everything else fell into place.

I was saved without fully understanding that Christ's death on the Cross was to atone for my sins. Took about 3 years for it to sink in because they don't teach it in Catholic and modern-charismatic churches.

My salvation was genuine that afternoon because I made repentance towards God, asked Him for forgiveness of my sins and put my trust, my faith in Christ Jesus. That day, Wednesday, June 13, 2007, I stopped living for myself and began living to please the Lord. For about 3 years I carried an NIV bible with me and read it cover to cover. But the Holy Spirit went to work on me and in time, through my own studies did I learn that my version was corrupt and that the Received Text was the genuine article to be relied upon. Shortly thereafter, after prompting by the Holy Ghost and lots of prayer I uprooted my family and moved an hour north and joined a Scriptural New Testament Church, an Independent, Fundamental, Soul-Winning, Baptist Church! Praise God!

Shortly before my wondrous salvation, I did not know any genuine Christians nor was I aware that any were living around me. There was nobody to turn to, only the local Christian bookstore and Christian radio and television. The bookstore recommended the NIV and the 700 Club quickly garnered our attention and appreciation. Even with the NIV I soon learned that the goings on at the 700 Club were unscriptural, same with the Catholic Church and later with Calvary Chapel. But boy ohh boy did my sanctification really accelerate with the Kings James Bible and mentoring with the Godly men of our IFB Church and other local church pastors through studying their writings!