• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

This is hard...

• Administrators

I just found out that my Dad is going to be hospitalized. Mom took him to the doc today because he's been struggling to breathe, along with some other things. He's got water on the lungs, from the tumors - which have grown in both size and number. So, they are putting him in the hospital, I suppose til they get the water off. But then, when he gets home, they will be setting him up with hospice. So it won't be long now...

His birthday is Feb. 9...and I've felt for quite a while now that he wouldn't be here much past that. Please pray for strength for my Mom. I wish so much that I could be there, but I can't right now.

I haven't been on here much lately - just usually scan through things quickly. I may be absent for a while now...

• Administrators

Thank you for the prayers. Just wanted to update on the situation. Because of the filled lungs, the doc wanted to drain them. He was thinking about waiting until Monday, but decided to do it yesterday. They had given my Dad a blood transfusion (he's had a few of those,when his count gets low). The count went down instead of up, which was a concern.

They began the procedure to drain the water from his lungs, and got 2 liters out...but not water. It was blood! No wonder his counts didn't go up. The doc said that tumors tend to weaken the area in which they reside, and so this is probably the reason for the leakage of the blood into the lungs. They actually could have gotten more than 2 liters, but they didn't have any other containers to put it in.

My Dad was breathing easier last night (I guess!!), so I'm hoping he had a relatively restful night. I haven't talked with anyone yet, because of the time difference. They will be keeping him in for observation until at least Monday. They want to see how quickly the lungs begin to refill, so they know if they need to put in a drain for my Mom to do every couple of days, or if he can just have it done every couple of weeks.

He is still slated for hospice. They will be coming into the house to take care of Dad. Apparently they asked all kinds of questions yesterday, making sure about things. Their pastor was there with them, and after the questions were done, he told my Dad that he needed to remember that, if my Dad felt that things were changing in his body, he can always stop the process.

We know that God is in control, and that we each have an appointed time to die. My Dad is ready to face His Lord, but still not ready to leave, if that makes sense. That tells me that his time is getting closer, but isn't quite yet (I believe that he will receive dying grace to prepare him and us for the end). We know that God can choose to raise him up, even now. We are praying (my hubby and I) that God will draw all of us (and especially my parents) closer to Him through this, and that He will draw the family closer together. We are also praying for healing. I know, I know. Cancer kills. But, truly, we believe that God can still heal. And we also believe that, should God choose to take my Dad at this time, He will have answered the prayer for healing...because my Dad will be eternally healed.

As to the family, there have been 2 of my siblings who have been on the outs with each other for a few years. One has tried to reach out to the other and been rejected each time...but...the other day they finally spoke on the phone. Granted, only for a couple of sentences, but contact has been made, and my Dad believes that one of the results of this cancer will be the healing of the family. I pray and hope so, because if hurts me to see them on the outs, and it hurts me because of how it hurts my parents.

I do appreciate your prayers, as do my parents and my siblings. My son is having a really hard time dealing with this. That's his pappy, and he hasn't seen him in a while. I would appreciate prayer for Josh, too.

• Members

Indeed the Lord can heal cancer and the Lord can extend ones life for any amount of time and we know not a one of us will die until the Lord has said the time is now.

While the Lord didn't heal my Mom of cancer, He did bless her with longer life, and near the end He blessed her yet again by granting her a temporary boost of wellness so she could leave the hospital, go on hospice and die at home as she wished. By the grace of God my Dad was holding her hand, standing by her side when she took her last breath.

It's a difficult thing to deal with and I pray for you and your family.