• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Horse Meat

• Members

There was a thread on horse meat a few months ago, but I cannot find it now. I was reminded of it when I was in France yesterday as I was glancing through the publicité of a hypermarché. I came across and item for horsemeat, the origine was given as Argentina or Canada or Mexico or Uraguay.

When I looked in a meat cabinet, they had Rumsteck (rump steak) to grill and roasting joints, all with the origin: Canada.

Edited by Invicta

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think we had tongue during the war when we were children. You had to eat what there was in those days.

I have seen tête (head) in French supermarkets, but I am not sure what amimal the head was from. It was not actually the animal's head, but a preparation in some sort of jelly.

In France we also see in the freezer, escargots (snails) cuisses de grenouilles (frogs thighs) brochet (pike). I have never seen pike in the shops here, but I have heard that some restaurants serve it.

• Members

I would have to be exceedingly hungry to even consider trying cow tongue! My Dad grew up in a much different time so he has ate those, pig brains and other things I don't even want to think of.

I just don't believe I could hold it in my stomach even if able to chew it up & sallow.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

When I was a kid, another, older boy at church kept telling me how good 'cow tongue' was. So I got my Dad, who was a meat cutter, to bring one home from the market where he worked. The weekend rolled around and we headed out on our planned camping trip to roast that thing over an open fire...( I think Mom refused to cook it anyway). It was the first boy, the pastor's son, and myself. Well, we got our fire going and put the tongue on wrapped in tin foil but it started raining. All we had was a small pup tent so the first boy and myself headed over to a neighbor's to borrow a tarpaulin. While we were gone, the pastor's son had eaten almost all of that cow's tongue. HAHA Must have been good! I got a small piece of it and, thought the taste wasn't too bad, it was tough as shoe leather and kind of rubbery. That was my first and last cow tongue.

• Members

I known much of its in our head because of our upbringing. I don't believe I could overcome my upbringing & tried the cow tongue.

I recall one day during the days I had a country store. One day I had a box of some type of hot sausage on the counter by the cash register. One customer that came in & had a few items laying them on the counter picked up one of the hot sausages putting it wilt the rest of the items. While I was ringing it up he picked up the hot sausage reading off its ingredients out loud. I don’t recall the ingredients, yet as he read them off I thought, that will turn his stomach & he will not buy it.

Yet, instead of turning his stomach he stated, “That sounds real good, believe I will get about 4 of them.” I was quite surprised.

I like Vienna sausages, & as long as I don’t think about the ingredients, they’re OK, but if my mind gets on the ingredients, that’s it, no more Vienna sausages for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

My wife wants to take me to Calais, France, next week for my birthday (Actually, I will take her as she no longer drives.) While there I will try to remember to bring back a horse steak to try, if I remember.

• Members

It will likely taste like horse steak!

And you stated, "I will try to remember to bring back a horse steak," how could you forget a horse steak?

You will be amazed at what I forget. I am nearly at my dotage.

• Members

Some of the 'exotic' meats I've eaten....
Deer, buffalo, elk, squirrel, quail, dove, wild duck, wild rabbit, wild hog, gopher tortoise, softshell turtle, river mussels, crawdads, alligator, and cow's tongue and various 'mystery meats' at Chinese restaurants. Have a go at it, Invicta, you can do it! :)