• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is It Wrong to Vote for the Lesser of Two Evils?

• Members

I see where you're coming from, and I don't think the man is perfect. I'm glad he's of the mindset to let Israel do what Israel wants, but I wish he'd go further than that and still believe in sending them financial aid. "I will bless them that bless thee." I think his policy towards Israel is still better than the other guy's though.

I still stand by what I've said before, he's the best option out there right now.

Israel themselves have stated that financial aid would be unnecessary if America were not giving their Arab enemies all around them billions of dollars a year in financial aid. Israel has a booming economy and is one of the most hi-tech nations in the world. If all aid were cut off to everyone, Israel would shine bright as her economy, military and technological prowess greatly outdoes any of their Arab neighbors, even combined.

An end to all financial aid and cutting the strings holding Israel back from doing what's in her best interest would be the best blessing America could give to Israel.

• Members

Swathdiver, I'm no expert on politics. My opinions are worth just what you're paying for them (as I've said before in this thread). That said, I'd answer your question like this. Rick Santorum has no glaring "personal" or character faults. His faults (as far as I can tell) seem to be that he would not be an effective leader because he lacks experience and would be in way over his head in Washington (and would never be able to implement any of his good ideas). He would, in short, get run over by the "big dogs" and would be a do-nothing President. In the relatively little I've seen/heard/read about him, I get the idea that he would be a weak leader. Now, is my perception accurate? Maybe; maybe not, but that is the general perception about Santorum, and because of this perception, he would not be electable against Obama. He looks like a schoolboy; the others are definitely "the adults in the room" compared to him. People (in the general election) IMO would not feel confident voting for Santorum. So, nominating Santorum would be handing the election over to the greater evil. (From what I can tell, his opinions on policy are along the same "party line" as most of the other Republicans.)
Again, I could be wrong.

Except for the grayed out comments above I think this described Obama four years ago. Where I have grayed out Santorum I believe Obama could be inserted.

• Members

I believe very few of you would have agreed with God, calling Moses to be the leader, calling David to be the king, nor calling Jeremiah.

Ex 4:10 And Moses said unto the LORD, O my Lord, I am not eloquent, neither heretofore, nor since thou hast spoken unto thy servant: but I am slow of speech, and of a slow tongue.

No, you would not have seen any leadership material in Moses.

1Sa 16:1 ¶ And the LORD said unto Samuel, How long wilt thou mourn for Saul, seeing I have rejected him from reigning over Israel? fill thine horn with oil, and go, I will send thee to Jesse the Bethlehemite: for I have provided me a king among his sons.
1Sa 16:2 And Samuel said, How can I go? if Saul hear it, he will kill me. And the LORD said, Take an heifer with thee, and say, I am come to sacrifice to the LORD.
1Sa 16:3 And call Jesse to the sacrifice, and I will shew thee what thou shalt do: and thou shalt anoint unto me him whom I name unto thee.
1Sa 16:4 And Samuel did that which the LORD spake, and came to Bethlehem. And the elders of the town trembled at his coming, and said, Comest thou peaceably?
1Sa 16:5 And he said, Peaceably: I am come to sacrifice unto the LORD: sanctify yourselves, and come with me to the sacrifice. And he sanctified Jesse and his sons, and called them to the sacrifice.
1Sa 16:6 ¶ And it came to pass, when they were come, that he looked on Eliab, and said, Surely the LORD'S anointed is before him.
1Sa 16:7 But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.
1Sa 16:8 Then Jesse called Abinadab, and made him pass before Samuel. And he said, Neither hath the LORD chosen this.
1Sa 16:9 Then Jesse made Shammah to pass by. And he said, Neither hath the LORD chosen this.
1Sa 16:10 Again, Jesse made seven of his sons to pass before Samuel. And Samuel said unto Jesse, The LORD hath not chosen these.
1Sa 16:11 And Samuel said unto Jesse, Are here all thy children? And he said, There remaineth yet the youngest, and, behold, he keepeth the sheep. And Samuel said unto Jesse, Send and fetch him: for we will not sit down till he come hither.
1Sa 16:12 And he sent, and brought him in. Now he was ruddy, and withal of a beautiful countenance, and goodly to look to. And the LORD said, Arise, anoint him: for this is he.
1Sa 16:13 Then Samuel took the horn of oil, and anointed him in the midst of his brethren: and the Spirit of the LORD came upon David from that day forward. So Samuel rose up, and went to Ramah.
1Sa 16:14 ¶ But the Spirit of the LORD departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD troubled him.

And no, you would never think of making this very young boy king, he was just the opposite of Saul.

Jer 1:6 Then said I, Ah, Lord GOD! behold, I cannot speak: for I am a child.

And I don't believe you would have approved of Jeremiah either.

• Members

Israel themselves have stated that financial aid would be unnecessary if America were not giving their Arab enemies all around them billions of dollars a year in financial aid. Israel has a booming economy and is one of the most hi-tech nations in the world. If all aid were cut off to everyone, Israel would shine bright as her economy, military and technological prowess greatly outdoes any of their Arab neighbors, even combined.

An end to all financial aid and cutting the strings holding Israel back from doing what's in her best interest would be the best blessing America could give to Israel.

Isn't that what Mr. Paul wants to stop, stop handing money to those countries, isn't that what many Christians say they want to stop? Yet most of them think he is a joke & lunatic while supporting those that will keep on keeping on handing out our money supporting Islam countries?

• Members

I believe very few of you would have agreed with God, calling Moses to be the leader, calling David to be the king, nor calling Jeremiah.

Ex 4:10 And Moses said unto the LORD, O my Lord, I am not eloquent, neither heretofore, nor since thou hast spoken unto thy servant: but I am slow of speech, and of a slow tongue.

No, you would not have seen any leadership material in Moses.

1Sa 16:1 ¶ And the LORD said unto Samuel, How long wilt thou mourn for Saul, seeing I have rejected him from reigning over Israel? fill thine horn with oil, and go, I will send thee to Jesse the Bethlehemite: for I have provided me a king among his sons.
1Sa 16:2 And Samuel said, How can I go? if Saul hear it, he will kill me. And the LORD said, Take an heifer with thee, and say, I am come to sacrifice to the LORD.
1Sa 16:3 And call Jesse to the sacrifice, and I will shew thee what thou shalt do: and thou shalt anoint unto me him whom I name unto thee.
1Sa 16:4 And Samuel did that which the LORD spake, and came to Bethlehem. And the elders of the town trembled at his coming, and said, Comest thou peaceably?
1Sa 16:5 And he said, Peaceably: I am come to sacrifice unto the LORD: sanctify yourselves, and come with me to the sacrifice. And he sanctified Jesse and his sons, and called them to the sacrifice.
1Sa 16:6 ¶ And it came to pass, when they were come, that he looked on Eliab, and said, Surely the LORD'S anointed is before him.
1Sa 16:7 But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.
1Sa 16:8 Then Jesse called Abinadab, and made him pass before Samuel. And he said, Neither hath the LORD chosen this.
1Sa 16:9 Then Jesse made Shammah to pass by. And he said, Neither hath the LORD chosen this.
1Sa 16:10 Again, Jesse made seven of his sons to pass before Samuel. And Samuel said unto Jesse, The LORD hath not chosen these.
1Sa 16:11 And Samuel said unto Jesse, Are here all thy children? And he said, There remaineth yet the youngest, and, behold, he keepeth the sheep. And Samuel said unto Jesse, Send and fetch him: for we will not sit down till he come hither.
1Sa 16:12 And he sent, and brought him in. Now he was ruddy, and withal of a beautiful countenance, and goodly to look to. And the LORD said, Arise, anoint him: for this is he.
1Sa 16:13 Then Samuel took the horn of oil, and anointed him in the midst of his brethren: and the Spirit of the LORD came upon David from that day forward. So Samuel rose up, and went to Ramah.
1Sa 16:14 ¶ But the Spirit of the LORD departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD troubled him.

And no, you would never think of making this very young boy king, he was just the opposite of Saul.

Jer 1:6 Then said I, Ah, Lord GOD! behold, I cannot speak: for I am a child.

And I don't believe you would have approved of Jeremiah either.

Jerry, you are including yourself in all those "you" references above aren't you?

• Members

Swathdiver, I'm no expert on politics. My opinions are worth just what you're paying for them (as I've said before in this thread). That said, I'd answer your question like this. Rick Santorum has no glaring "personal" or character faults. His faults (as far as I can tell) seem to be that he would not be an effective leader because he lacks experience... Again, I could be wrong.

Santorum is an experienced politician and has worked in private industry before. He's arguably more conservative then either Gingrich or Romney both politically and in his private life. He's a man of morality, character and honor and is not afraid to tackle unpopular subjects which is why he probably lost re-election. I believe he would govern to the left of Reagan and to the right of George W. Bush. My major beef is the same as the Lord's, he's not Christian but Catholic and therefore very likely unsaved though he professes belief in God and the Savior.

A Christian man in fellowship with God does not have to be an "experienced politician". Surrounding themselves with Godly people and in constant prayer, one will lead and govern a nation just fine.

Ohh, forgot to add that Santorum picked up 3 states tonight in the primaries. Edited by swathdiver

• Members

Santorum is another big government neo-con, not an actual conservative.

Amazing that in 1960 Christians were rightly warning of the dangers of voting for a Catholic yet here we are five decades later and most Christians are flocking to a Catholic (either Gingrich or Santorum) while all but a few of the rest rally to a Mormon. All the while, Christians failed to give their support to one of the Christian candidates. That's very telling about the state of Christianity in America today.

• Members

Ohh, forgot to add that Santorum picked up 3 states tonight in the primaries.

Yeah, I saw that! That's great for him. I tell you what...I'd sure vote for him over Romney and Paul. I've been skeptical of his electability, but I'm open to being convinced. His religion doesn't bother me at all (as far as politics goes). I like his ideas on policy. Edited by Annie

• Administrators

Swath, just so you know, RSantorum is not all that conservative. He backed Arlen Specter against Pat Toomey...and Specter was PA's Ted Kennedy (politically, not morally) . And he does not have a very good record on gun rights. And, if you are true to things you've said before, his Catholicism is more than a beef to you, it's a deal-breaker...(I do think he would govern to the right of Dubya, but I don't know that he'd be left of RR.)

If Santorum wins the nomination, we will vote for him. I'm glad that he swept things yesterday - I think it put a dent into Romney's "inevitability." But something else I can't shake from my mind: I feel like the America people are being toyed with. I do think things are going on behind the scenes that are controlling a lot of what we "see" in the primaries. One person jumps up, another dives, and then it turns around...I just have the feeling that the "powers that be" are trying to weary us to the point where we will accept Mitt just to get things to stop...and by accepting Mitt, we cede the 2012 election to BO (even George Soros has said that Romney and BO are the same...)

Jerry, if America were a theocracy, your accusations that we wouldn't support Moses might be valid - even though that is a broadbrush that just isn't true. It may be of some people, but it definitely is not of all people. But America is not a theocracy, and people have the right to choose the reasons they vote or don't vote for someone. Lack of experience is a credible reason, and as Dave pointed out, we got BO in 2008, who decidedly lacked experience in anything by rabble-rousing - er, excuse me - community organizing. And not voting at all isn't in the least bit laudatory for a person who strongly proclaims the ills of government...

• Members

Swath, just so you know, RSantorum is not all that conservative. He backed Arlen Specter against Pat Toomey...and Specter was PA's Ted Kennedy (politically, not morally) . And he does not have a very good record on gun rights. And, if you are true to things you've said before, his Catholicism is more than a beef to you, it's a deal-breaker...(I do think he would govern to the right of Dubya, but I don't know that he'd be left of RR.)

If Santorum wins the nomination, we will vote for him. I'm glad that he swept things yesterday - I think it put a dent into Romney's "inevitability." But something else I can't shake from my mind: I feel like the America people are being toyed with. I do think things are going on behind the scenes that are controlling a lot of what we "see" in the primaries. One person jumps up, another dives, and then it turns around...I just have the feeling that the "powers that be" are trying to weary us to the point where we will accept Mitt just to get things to stop...and by accepting Mitt, we cede the 2012 election to BO (even George Soros has said that Romney and BO are the same...)

Jerry, if America were a theocracy, your accusations that we wouldn't support Moses might be valid - even though that is a broadbrush that just isn't true. It may be of some people, but it definitely is not of all people. But America is not a theocracy, and people have the right to choose the reasons they vote or don't vote for someone. Lack of experience is a credible reason, and as Dave pointed out, we got BO in 2008, who decidedly lacked experience in anything by rabble-rousing - er, excuse me - community organizing. And not voting at all isn't in the least bit laudatory for a person who strongly proclaims the ills of government...

Wasn't Specter a defector (Specter the Defector) after the Repubs voted him in he turned Demo-liberal?

• Members

Wasn't Specter a defector (Specter the Defector) after the Repubs voted him in he turned Demo-liberal?

When Specter's liberalism finally became too much even for those who had voted him into office for years, he switched from Repub to Dem as his only hope of staying in congress. Thankfully, it didn't work, but also thankfully, we have the records of those supposed conservatives who supported the liberal Specter all those years showing their real loyalty to the Repub Party and not to conservatism or any so-called values.

• Members

I think the reason the polls and primaries are jumping around like ping-pong balls is because the base can't decide if they want to vote on principle or temporary perceived electability.

Those voters who claim to be Christian, conservative or "values voters", were unwilling to look at the 9 or so Repubs who were originally in the race and get solidly behind one of them. Now they are left with "choices" they don't like, not to mention weak choices, and it's greatly their own fault.

Had these core Republicans got behind one candidate early on, whether Bachmann, Paul, Perry or another, and gave them full support from beginning to end, then one of them would likely either be the nominee by now or well on their way to being the nominee.

As it is, once again they squandered their chance to do this. By withholding their support they allowed others to fund the wimpier candidates while allowing the others to go unfunded and unable to compete.

Now the core Republicans are faced with a proven failure most in his own Party don't even care for, a flip-flopper who will say whatever he thinks necessary to get elected, another big government politicians, and one who is too much like the Founders to suit their modern, enlightened tastes.

So, most will rule Ron Paul out without any signficant consideration or thought, which leaves them stuck between two Catholics and a Mormon, all three of which are big government and globalization supporters with no real love of the Constitution and no intention of keeping any oath they may take to the same.

Is it any wonder voters in the different States are not united?