• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Carnality Test

• Members

LOL @ BroMatt...

By the way, God says that comparing ourselves among ourselves is not wise. Now I know the original test was supposed to be "private" but really...this type of thing encourages us to say things like "Wow. Well I don't even HAVE a tv. I must be better than my neighbor who has two."

"I don't have a motorcycle....that Harley owner must not be as close to God."

"I dress like an Amish person so God is more happy with me than other ladies in church."

(I don't even understand the logic behind the gun one, so I won't go there. Other than Luke 22:

35And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing.
36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
37For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.
38And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

• Members

Excellent answer - God always knows the motive behind the motive. I try to always ask myself when buying things is do I really need it more than the poorest person in my church needs help? Can I justify the expense or the need when I KNOW someone needs food, clothes or financial assistance. I know of many Christians that have four cars, but need only one. Have five bedroom houses and only use one bedroom. Go on vacations often, etc, etc, but there are members in their congregation that eat twice a week or are sick and can't afford the hospital, etc.
When we realise that everything we have belongs to God then I think most of us would manage our finances, our lives etc better.

Wait.....

So, everyone has to be equal? What if God chooses to bless you with something extra? It is good to give things away....We have bought groceries for people before who were in need, and given money to people, etc. Not saying we should not. But to say we shouldn't buy something if someone else is in need....that might be what God wants for you, but that might not be what God wants for everyone.

BTW I don't know any Christians who have four cars haha. I did grow up in a five bedroom home in South Dakota but it wasn't like it was a fancy lavish home. I don't know anybody here who has a five bedroom home, that I know of. Again, we're comparing people to other people when we do not know the whole situation.

Maybe God is blessing one person for being faithful in sacrificial giving, while He is not blessing another because the other doesn't even tithe? Did you think of that? We should help people, but we also should not have to walk around in guilt for buying something that God gives us to enjoy. What if the person with more money works harder for a living than the person with less? Its communistic to think that the one with more ought to give to the one with less, other than just random acts of charity which is always a good thing.

I know people who can afford to take better and nicer vacations than us, but there are others who cannot. We are kind of right in the middle. God has blessed each family according as is in His will. While we should be willing to help the poor (The Bible does say to do that) I do not think it is our command to try to equal out everybody's situations. Because in time, things do often even out....and/or people end up reaping what they sow.

• Members

1. Name three super models. Ummmmmmm......uuuuuuuuhhhhh Farah Fawcett? Does that give away my age?

2. How much do you spend on television? (cable, satellite, etc.) No cable, No big screen No local TV.....but I have Netfilx and a "TV Guardian"

3. How much do you watch tv? More than I should

4. What kind of programming (contract) do you have for your cell phone? Don't know, my wife keeps the phone.

5. How many electronic “gadgets” do you own? At my place of business....... CNC (robotic) router table, CNC plotter, a fax machine, 3 InKJet printers, 3 desktop computers, one laptop, a TV monitor/DVD player, 2 digital cameras, 2 jump drives, an auxilliary hard drive, portable hardrive, a radio controlled driveway alarm, motion sensors, and a credit card terminal.

5. Do you own a boat, motorcycle, or snowmobile? Don't own any
--How much do you use it?
--Does it own you?

6. Did/do you vote for economic reasons? No
Other reasons than spiritual principles? My only "hope and change" are in Jesus.
--Do you have a scripture verse for your reason for voting? Proverbs 29:2

7. Do you have any close friends that are unsaved? No
--Hunting, fishing partners, etc. (friends that you run with?) I only "run with" my wife, kids and church folk.

8. What do you believe about secular education? All my kids were home schooled
--The more knowledge, the better? Yes, I believe God expects us to wisely use the resources He gave us, including our brains..

9. Do you miss church or church events for family gatherings? No, but I don't judge those who occasionally do. "Forsake not the assembling" to me, means to completely forsake church; not a rare or occasional absence.

10. How is your giving record?
--can you honestly say that your giving glorifies God? I tithe and give as the Lord prospers...not just to the church but to others in need; something that I have rarely heard preached.

11. Do you sleep with a gun for protection? No, I sleep with my wife for protection.
--How much do you trust in the gun to deliver you? I trust it best if it is in my hand and fully loaded.

12. Do you follow the latest styles when dressing? What are the latest styles?
--does the world decide what you will wear? To a point; all of my clothes were manufactured by 'the world' and the world helps keep me poor, so I buy whatever the world has on sale and if I had enough bad judgement to walk downtown in only my underwear, I'm absolutly certain somebody from 'the world' would arrest me.
--Do you try to look “sexy”? Overweight and 50...what's the use in trying?

• Members
4. What kind of programming (contract) do you have for your cell phone? Don't know, my wife keeps the phone.

Ummmmm! That should be a question too! Who rules the finances or phones in your house! You or your wife?!?!

Haha sorry could not resist....

I should probably stop hanging out on this thread trying to point out inconsistencies in this quiz thing. haha.

Not trying to be trouble guys, really, I'm not! :-) I just get tired of measuring spiritual things with physical measurements. God says by our FRUITS we shall be known...not how much "stuff" we have or do not have.

• Members

We live in a rural area and I want my wife and daughter to have cell phones in case the car breaks down somewhere. I rarely have need of one because I rarely call to just 'chit-chat'. I use my busness phone and email to correspond with customers, then I leave the work at work. I rarely even answer the phones at home.Anyway, you're right; It's not about how much "stuff" we have it's how much "stuff" has us. "Love not the world. neither the things that are in the world......" " ....a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he posesseth"

• Members

(To be answered in your heart, do not write out your answers. Be honest, even if it “hurts“)

1. Name three super models.

Fabio, Cindy Crawford, Farrah Fawcett.

2. How much do you spend on television? (cable, satellite, etc.)

I don't have cable, satellite, or anything. We rent movies if they work with our TV Guardian that filters out the cuss words. I own a Playstation 3 and I battle for America's safety against hordes of Russian invaders, occasionally.

--big screen tv?

36"

3. How much do you watch tv?

I don't.

4. What kind of programming (contract) do you have for your cell phone?

I just got a cell phone about a week and a half ago. It's not a smart phone, it's a dumb phone. I got it because it's cheaper than the land line at $35 a month.

5. How many electronic “gadgets” do you own?

I have a laptop and a cell phone.

5. Do you own a boat, motorcycle, or snowmobile?

No.

--How much do you use it?

N/A

--Does it own you?

Is this possible? Do motorcycles go out shopping for riders? Just kidding.

6. Did/do you vote for economic reasons?

Yes.

Other reasons than spiritual principles?

Is there such a thing as a spiritual politician? I do the best I can with what I got.

--Do you have a scripture verse for your reason for voting?

No, but I could probably find one. There's one in Acts that says something like, "Go and seek the asses."

7. Do you have any close friends that are unsaved?

No.

--Hunting, fishing partners, etc. (friends that you run with?)

8. What do you believe about secular education?

It's the pits.

--The more knowledge, the better?

More knowledge addeth sorrow, the Bible says.

9. Do you miss church or church events for family gatherings?

No, church is our family.

10. How is your giving record?

Good.

--can you honestly say that your giving glorifies God?

Yes.

11. Do you sleep with a gun for protection?

No, I have a tripwire minefield out front for that.

--How much do you trust in the gun to deliver you?

Enough to point it at a bad guy and pull the trigger. Multiple times.

12. Do you follow the latest styles when dressing?

What is a style? My wife helps me to not look like I'm wearing 80s clothes.

--does the world decide what you will wear?

No, my wife does.

--Do you try to look “sexy”?

Clothes don't make me look sexy, I just am sexy.

• Members

The one question that I have to shake my head about is the guns.
11. Do you sleep with a gun for protection? I sleep with a 9mm pistols and 12 guage shot gun under my bed, a key in the gun safe to get ahold of the four guns in there ranging from 12 guage to 357 magnum revolver, 12 guage in the closet off the living room (trigger lock). We are fully loaded and ready for actions.
--How much do you trust in the gun to deliver you? I trust the gun to deliver me and children if someone breaks into my house when my husband is not home to protect me. We live in a rural area and had recently had several home envasions down the road. If I dont hit them with the 9mm the 12 guage will. I believe God gave me my two children to do what ever necassary to protect them from harm.

Another thing I dont believe in public education at all,, if I wanted to send them to be indoctrine against God they can get that from an atheist. We also dont believe in sending them to the local private schools due to the fact there is no difference between how the kids dress and public school kids.

We do have regular tv and netflix. We watch a total of 3 hours of TV time a day.
We give as much as we can to others and God but also being able to provide for our childrens needs. The reason why I say that we know of one couple that gave everything to the church including their time and their children had no clothes and very little food to eat. So I think that God expects you to take care of your children and then give the rest to others.

We have several electronics. We have cellphones and an landline phone. Today hubby had an propane tank to start leaking and he called me to let me know.
We dont own a boat or anyother toys like that but we did have but we sold them. As soon as they became a problem that cut into our time with God and family we got rid of them.

I do know one model because they talked about her on the news Lauren Scruggs, she walked into an plane propeller while it was still on.
We dont keep up with the current fashion we look for what covers us up and isnt to tight.

Yes we do have friends that are unsaved but we have witnessed to them about God. We dont run around with them but maybe meet up to do dinner once or twice a year. We are not here to witness to saved people we are here to witness to the lost.

I vote for the ones that follow as many as my beliefs and the economy has no affect on who I vote for.

• Members

A few of you missed the point entirely, like kitagirl, and some saw a flair of sarcasm like bro matt, but some also saw the real questions and the motives concerned. I am reminded of the book that gained some popularity a few years ago called "What would Jesus do?" Though the book was fiction, it posed a good question for us today. One might go so far as to ask themselves "what would Paul do?", so that we might hope to attain.

There is not scripture for all our beliefs of right and wrong, not that we can define and find in black and white. Those who think so have missed something somewhere.

• Members

A few of you missed the point entirely, like kitagirl, and some saw a flair of sarcasm like bro matt, but some also saw the real questions and the motives concerned. I am reminded of the book that gained some popularity a few years ago called "What would Jesus do?" Though the book was fiction, it posed a good question for us today. One might go so far as to ask themselves "what would Paul do?", so that we might hope to attain.

There is not scripture for all our beliefs of right and wrong, not that we can define and find in black and white. Those who think so have missed something somewhere.

I must strongly disagree.

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. Psalm 119:105
I'm just inclined to believe that God's lamp is well able to shed it's light on every square inch of the path.

• Members

I know what you are getting at, I think the better thing to ask is

Are you redeeming the time? (Ephesians 5:16)

Do you seek the kingdom of God first? (Matt 6: 33)

Do you set wicked things before you? ( Psalm 101:3)

When you list wordly pursuits it becomes relative. I agree with Kittagirl, your list is totally subjective. When you use God's word there is little little to no wiggle room.

Maybe it's just semantics and in purpose it's the same thing/

• Members

The one question that I have to shake my head about is the guns.
11. Do you sleep with a gun for protection? I sleep with a 9mm pistols and 12 guage shot gun under my bed, a key in the gun safe to get ahold of the four guns in there ranging from 12 guage to 357 magnum revolver, 12 guage in the closet off the living room (trigger lock). We are fully loaded and ready for actions.
--How much do you trust in the gun to deliver you? I trust the gun to deliver me and children if someone breaks into my house when my husband is not home to protect me. We live in a rural area and had recently had several home envasions down the road. If I dont hit them with the 9mm the 12 guage will. I believe God gave me my two children to do what ever necassary to protect them from harm.

Another thing I dont believe in public education at all,, if I wanted to send them to be indoctrine against God they can get that from an atheist. We also dont believe in sending them to the local private schools due to the fact there is no difference between how the kids dress and public school kids.

We do have regular tv and netflix. We watch a total of 3 hours of TV time a day.
We give as much as we can to others and God but also being able to provide for our childrens needs. The reason why I say that we know of one couple that gave everything to the church including their time and their children had no clothes and very little food to eat. So I think that God expects you to take care of your children and then give the rest to others.

We have several electronics. We have cellphones and an landline phone. Today hubby had an propane tank to start leaking and he called me to let me know.
We dont own a boat or anyother toys like that but we did have but we sold them. As soon as they became a problem that cut into our time with God and family we got rid of them.

I do know one model because they talked about her on the news Lauren Scruggs, she walked into an plane propeller while it was still on.
We dont keep up with the current fashion we look for what covers us up and isnt to tight.

Yes we do have friends that are unsaved but we have witnessed to them about God. We dont run around with them but maybe meet up to do dinner once or twice a year. We are not here to witness to saved people we are here to witness to the lost.

I vote for the ones that follow as many as my beliefs and the economy has no affect on who I vote for.

I think the main point with the guns aspect is not a matter of whether it's good or bad to have a gun, but whether or not our trust for protection is in the gun or do we trust God.

While under certain circumstances I would be willing and able to use a weapon to defend my family, my trust is in God. I trust God to keep us safe, I trust God to grant me the wisdom to know if I need to use a weapon, I trust God to grant me the ability to rightly and successfully use a weapon if necessary, and I trust God with the outcome.

On the other hand, there are some who take the view that God's not going to protect them so they have to do it themselves. Some have the idea that if they have a gun they have all the protection they need, they don't need to rely on God.

When David faced Goliath he took his sling and stones but his trust was in the Lord.

• Members

I must strongly disagree.

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. Psalm 119:105
I'm just inclined to believe that God's lamp is well able to shed it's light on every square inch of the path.

The point is, Scripture doesn't list every item we may encounter, every situation we may face. We have to learn to take the commands and principles of Scripture and apply them to our daily lives.

For instance, some folks read they are to have no idols and think that doesn't apply to them since they have no statues of a false god in their homes. However, this command goes beyond statues of false gods. The principle extends to anything we place above God. Some people don't think of that and even when they do, unless they receive help to actually consider various things in their lives they wouldn't notice that their "love" of some particular thing in their life which consumes great amounts of money and time has actually become an idol in their lives.

• Members

I know what you are getting at, I think the better thing to ask is

Are you redeeming the time? (Ephesians 5:16)

Do you seek the kingdom of God first? (Matt 6: 33)

Do you set wicked things before you? ( Psalm 101:3)

When you list wordly pursuits it becomes relative. I agree with Kittagirl, your list is totally subjective. When you use God's word there is little little to no wiggle room.

Maybe it's just semantics and in purpose it's the same thing/

Great verses to consider but how do we apply them to our lives if we don't take inventory of the things in our lives? While the list in the OP might not apply to every person, the principle is sound. We should look at the things in our lives in the light of Scripture.

Ephesians 5:16...do we spend too much time watching TV, playing video games, reading worldly magazines, etc.

Matt 6:33...has our favorite hobby become more than just a hobby, something we seek first now?

Psalm 101:3...what sort of stories or pictures are in the magazines we subscribe to, when we go to a sporting event should we sit near the cheerleaders, what are we really seeing when we vist that website, etc.?

We need to examine our lives from time to time and making our own lists for our own use can be helpful in this.

• Members

Excellent answer - God always knows the motive behind the motive. I try to always ask myself when buying things is do I really need it more than the poorest person in my church needs help? Can I justify the expense or the need when I KNOW someone needs food, clothes or financial assistance. I know of many Christians that have four cars, but need only one. Have five bedroom houses and only use one bedroom. Go on vacations often, etc, etc, but there are members in their congregation that eat twice a week or are sick and can't afford the hospital, etc.
When we realise that everything we have belongs to God then I think most of us would manage our finances, our lives etc better.

Amen! Those are excellent questions to consider. If we don't deliberately ask ourselves such things we can very easily get off track or be off track and not even see it.