• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Carnality Test

• Members

(To be answered in your heart, do not write out your answers. Be honest, even if it “hurts“)

1. Name three super models.

2. How much do you spend on television? (cable, satellite, etc.)
--big screen tv?

3. How much do you watch tv?

4. What kind of programming (contract) do you have for your cell phone?

5. How many electronic “gadgets” do you own?

5. Do you own a boat, motorcycle, or snowmobile?
--How much do you use it?
--Does it own you?

6. Did/do you vote for economic reasons? Other reasons than spiritual principles?
--Do you have a scripture verse for your reason for voting?

7. Do you have any close friends that are unsaved?
--Hunting, fishing partners, etc. (friends that you run with?)

8. What do you believe about secular education?
--The more knowledge, the better?

9. Do you miss church or church events for family gatherings?

10. How is your giving record?
--can you honestly say that your giving glorifies God?

11. Do you sleep with a gun for protection?
--How much do you trust in the gun to deliver you?

12. Do you follow the latest styles when dressing?
--does the world decide what you will wear?
--Do you try to look “sexy”?

• Members

We all don't live in the same box. :-)

Some of the questions are fine. Some of them are irrelevant. For instance, cell phone contracts have absolutely no Biblical reason for or against them. Its between each person and God as to whether they are using their phone for Him, or not. I got my husband an iPhone for Christmas and it has actually helped him become more organized and get more done throughout the day, including reading the Bible at "odd" times, memorizing Scripture, and listening to sermons.

Boats? Motorcycles? Snowmobiles? Really? Are you jealous of people who have them? Do you own a car?

Unsaved friends...as long as you aren't doing wrong...you can witness to unsaved friends. My dad went rockhounding on a regular basis, out west, with an atheist. By the time my dad was finished with him, he was no longer an atheist.

Gun ownership? You have a Bible verse against that? I think Jesus even recommended the disciples have a sword ready.... trusting God doesn't mean being a sitting duck for danger.

"Lists" like this is what turns a lot of people off, because standards should be Bible based and Holy-Spirit convicted...not the preferences of a man. At one time, wire rimmed glasses, pleated pants, and beards were "worldly".

I see the point of your list, and I agree with many of them...I'm sure many in our churches would fail the list (church faithfulness, tithing, godliness, separation) but lets be sure our "list" is from God, and not from our own rules.

• Members

If we answered these questions honestly, I believe we would ALL come up way much shorter of the glory of God than we should, we have way to much love for the world and its offerings than we should, many to the point that Christ never can live though them.

Of course we don't want to know the answers, for it exposes us for what we truly are..

• Members

(To be answered in your heart, do not write out your answers. Be honest, even if it “hurts“)

--big screen tv?

--Does it own you?

6. Did/do you vote for economic reasons? Other reasons than spiritual principles?

I can't name one current super model. I can think of some from the past, like back in the 70s or 80s.

We have the basic TV package and one basic TV.

I watch TV maybe 2 hours a day and that's mostly news.

I don't own a cell phone (I can understand why the question is asked because I know there are some extravegant packages out there)

No boat, motorcycle or snowmobile. I can't justify the expense.

My vote is determined by Scripture, not economics.

Close friends are all saved.

Secular education, as in public schools, are the devils den.

Church comes first.

Our giving is consistent with the leading of the Lord.

I don't own a gun.

I dress how I'm comfortable in accord with biblical principles.

• Members

In reply to John81, and NOT to argue...but just to show how this may not have anything to do with spirituality:

I can't name one current super model. I can think of some from the past, like back in the 70s or 80s. *AGREE* however if someone can name one from their past, that is not to say they are not spiritual.

We have the basic TV package and one basic TV. *We have an antenna outside and get Netflix for 7.99/month, and one tv. I don't think the dollars spent on tv is a good ruler on how much more God is pleased with us. Otherwise I'd win a point on this one. LOL. But I don't think it matters.*

I watch TV maybe 2 hours a day and that's mostly news. *I personally find TV boring so that gets me a "point" LOL but I probably lose it in internet-hours.

I don't own a cell phone (I can understand why the question is asked because I know there are some extravegant packages out there) We dropped our landline and have cell phones instead. Is there a Bible verse on landlines vs. cell phones? haha Just sayin...

No boat, motorcycle or snowmobile. I can't justify the expense. Us either, but one of our most faithful and godly members has a Harley. He probably does more for God with that Harley than most people do with their Chevy.

My vote is determined by Scripture, not economics. *Agreed, well, Scripture and freedom to use Scripture.*

Close friends are all saved. *I don't have any super close friends that I hang out with haha but most are saved. Have unsaved family*

Secular education, as in public schools, are the devils den. *Agreed* but that doesn't mean someone who cannot afford Christian schooling is worse than me.

Church comes first. *Agreed* except a few alternative situations. It should be the exception rather than the rule, but it can happen.

Our giving is consistent with the leading of the Lord. *Agreed*

I don't own a gun. *We own guns as our 2nd Amendment right. Its not unbiblical to protect oneself and one's family. Its no worse than owning a guard dog or using a butcher knife against an intruder.

I dress how I'm comfortable in accord with biblical principles. *Agreed. Judging someone's dress is usually none of other people's business anyway, unless its drastically immoral.

I replied in this way just to show that two people could answer different ways but it would not mean that they are unspiritual.

A better summation of this would be, "Does everything I say and do please the Lord?"

• Members

I'm compelled to write them down, sorry to bust everyone's bubble but I'm a man saved by faith through grace.
Can't and won't waste my mind to think if I could remember one.
--big screen tv?
$45.19 for cable and $29.95 for internet (TOO MUCH! are you doing telemarketing research...I hope I don't get a call with a new offer tomorrow)
As much as I can stomach (news, American college football and college basketball, some entertainment shows...I like the Bonanza reruns)
I use what I call a "grocery store phone" a Tracfone and just enough minutes to stay activated.
Computer, cell, I think that's it.
--Does it own you?
NO! I have a 2003 Honda Rincon 4-wheeler, I rode it one day last year (should I cut back?)
Nope, I'm voting for the candidate who best furthers Bible principles.

Matthew 22:21
Yes, no I don't run with them (one, Jerry I'm deeply burdened for...I see him frequently...he and I joined the Navy together)
Public school is not, it's an indoctrination center for human secularism.
NO! However, if that gathering is my wife, aged mother, or aged uncle needing me...I will be with them.
No, because God wants the money in the wallet, the wallet, the pocket holding the wallet, and the man in the pants with the pocket with the wallet with the money and sadly there are parts of me that God doesn't have all of...yet (now you know something to pray for me about).
Yes, I do it's loaded! One in the chamber and a full clip.
I was convinced when someone said, an unloaded gun is like an uncharged fire extinguisher (do you own a fire extinguisher?)
I trust God to deliver me I trust the gun will fire when God is telling me to use it.
No--No--No (in your judgement what could a 58 year old Baptist, over weight about 25 lbs., wear that could possibly be sexy?)

Where did you find these questions?
Were you looking for help refuting questions proposed by some legalist?
Is this test a spirituality barometer?
If so then I'm probably in there somewhere with the Corinthians, and pretty low on the spiritual stairway to heaven.

Thank my Lord I'm not depending on my own righteousness for reconciliation to God.

Edited to move my giving comment out of the "gun" question/answer (my bad). Edited by 1Tim115

• Members

I've missed the point. I don't see how comparing usage of wordly tools is a measurement of anything. (As kittagirl showed) Much more effective to ask the question based on Godly standards.

I think the point is to view these questions with regards to Godly standards.

For instance, if we say we put Christ first but we spend 8 hours a day watching secular TV, another couple hours reading fashion magazines so we can try to dress like the world, spend our money on things we don't really need, especially those things that take more of our time, etc., then it would be a good idea for us to reevaluate our lives in the light of Scripture.

Again, for instance, unless it's illegal there is nothing wrong with owning a gun. There is nothing wrong with knowing that gun can be used, if necessary, to help protect yourself and/or your family. However, if our confidence is in the gun for our safety and not in the Lord then that gun has taken a position as an idol, above the Lord.

TV, for instance, is it used to watch sin promoting movies on the pay channels (HBO, Showtime, etc.) or to keep an eye on the weather, learn the local news...Do we need to spend our money so we have 500 channels, half of which we never watch, many more we rarely watch, and having several uncut movie channels which heavily rotate R rated movies; or might it be better to purchase a smaller, cheaper TV package?

We can't look at a list like this as the only means of evaluating our lives and we can't use it simply as a checklist, but we can use such to help us evaluate our lives, to see where our priorities are.

Is a motorcycle evil? No. However, we might learn something if we ask, "Why do I own a motorcycle?" Is the motorcycle for inexpensive transportation to work? Is the motorcycle only used as a toy? Is the motorcycle an attempt to look cool...younger...more successful? Is the motorcycle for attracting the attention of others? Is the motorcycle for taking relaxing rides through the country?

Again, on the surface some of the questions listed above may not have a right/wrong answer that indicates our spirituality, but if we examine them fully we may see areas we are doing well and we may see areas where we may need to think about things or even see something where we have allowed a bad thing we should correct.

Our lives, in every aspect, should reflect we are born again in Christ, we are a peculiar people, our home is not in this world, we actually walk the walk. Evaluating our lives, our priorities, where we spend our time and money, are all good things for us to do from time to time.

• Members

I think any time you set up judgement based on men's standards of what "spirituality" is or the lack of it you become a legalist.

You become this...

Luke 18:11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.

P.S. My 4 wheeler is just a toy.

I don't mind being a publican but then let's add to the list of questions/qualifiers above posts at On Line Baptist.

• Members

I think any time you set up judgement based on men's standards of what "spirituality" is or the lack of it you become a legalist.

You become this...

Luke 18:11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.

P.S. My 4 wheeler is just a toy.

I don't mind being a publican but then let's add to the list of questions/qualifiers above posts at On Line Baptist.

All things should be judged based upon the standards of Scripture. We can make a list, if we choose, of things to consider in evaluating our lives, to help us get a reading on where we are and where we are heading.

I'll use your 4 wheeler toy since you mention that. Anything wrong with owning a 4 wheeler? Not in and of itself. Anything wrong with owning a 4 wheeler for recreational use. Not in and of itself. The questions to ask ourselves is how did I buy the 4 wheeler...could I afford it, did I have to go in debt, did I buy a much more expensive one than I could afford or need, did I buy a reasonable priced one that would suit my needs...then we could ask ourselves if the 4 wheeler serves us well as recreation or do we spend too much time playing with it to the neglect of work, household duties, family matters, church, our walk with the Lord.

By asking ourselves such questions we can see if our 4 wheeler is a reasonable toy we bought in a reasonable way and use responsibly, or if there is some aspect of our 4 wheeler toy we may need to address or we may need to learn from for future reference.

Every aspect of our lives should be in line with Scripture and fit who we are in Christ.

As an example of something I did in my own life is with regards to mowing the yard. I've always mowed my yard with a push mower. As I got older and push mowing didn't always seem like as much fun as it once did I would think of how nice it would be to have a rider mower. It would have been very easy to simply say, "I want a rider mower, it would be fun and easier, I'm just going to go buy one." However, I stopped and weighed various aspects of such, including the excercise aspect, how much money we did/didn't have in discretionary spending, how such a purchase would/might effect other areas, etc. For several years I would consider such each year and I continued to push mow. A few years ago health issues started greatly impacting my ability to push mow all our property. Eventually the health issue tilted the decision scale and fully justified my buying a rider mower.

Now, I'm not saying this is the patter for everyone in this specific example, just using it as a point of how no matter what we do we should consider what we are considering doing. After all the consideration, we take our thoughts to the Lord in prayer and consider Scripture.

Some things are much more simple, like perhaps needing a new sink drain plug. Not a major expense, something that's a necessity, something not likely to have any significant impact upon my walk with the Lord.

Other things should take more consideration and prayer, such as whether or not to buy a new/different vehicle...why, when, what type, how much, etc.

If we develope the trait of considering everything in light of Scripture before we act then we can help ensure we are walking in the Spirit and not in the flesh in these matters.

Back to my rider mower example. Had I simply followed my flesh I would have purchased a very nice one with accessories and added comforts. However, I determinded ahead of time, through consideration and prayer, a more basic rider would serve me well and I shouldn't spend excessively.

As an example of wrong motives, a family member became jealous that I now had a rider mower and they decided they had to have one and a much better one than I had, or any of their neighbors had. They went out and bought an expensive model with "goodies".

Again, nothing wrong in and of itself in owning a rider mower, but what is our heart in the matter?

• Members

All things should be judged based upon the standards of Scripture. We can make a list, if we choose, of things to consider in evaluating our lives, to help us get a reading on where we are and where we are heading.

I'll use your 4 wheeler toy since you mention that. Anything wrong with owning a 4 wheeler? Not in and of itself. Anything wrong with owning a 4 wheeler for recreational use. Not in and of itself. The questions to ask ourselves is how did I buy the 4 wheeler...could I afford it, did I have to go in debt, did I buy a much more expensive one than I could afford or need, did I buy a reasonable priced one that would suit my needs...then we could ask ourselves if the 4 wheeler serves us well as recreation or do we spend too much time playing with it to the neglect of work, household duties, family matters, church, our walk with the Lord.

By asking ourselves such questions we can see if our 4 wheeler is a reasonable toy we bought in a reasonable way and use responsibly, or if there is some aspect of our 4 wheeler toy we may need to address or we may need to learn from for future reference.

Every aspect of our lives should be in line with Scripture and fit who we are in Christ.

As an example of something I did in my own life is with regards to mowing the yard. I've always mowed my yard with a push mower. As I got older and push mowing didn't always seem like as much fun as it once did I would think of how nice it would be to have a rider mower. It would have been very easy to simply say, "I want a rider mower, it would be fun and easier, I'm just going to go buy one." However, I stopped and weighed various aspects of such, including the excercise aspect, how much money we did/didn't have in discretionary spending, how such a purchase would/might effect other areas, etc. For several years I would consider such each year and I continued to push mow. A few years ago health issues started greatly impacting my ability to push mow all our property. Eventually the health issue tilted the decision scale and fully justified my buying a rider mower.

Now, I'm not saying this is the patter for everyone in this specific example, just using it as a point of how no matter what we do we should consider what we are considering doing. After all the consideration, we take our thoughts to the Lord in prayer and consider Scripture.

Some things are much more simple, like perhaps needing a new sink drain plug. Not a major expense, something that's a necessity, something not likely to have any significant impact upon my walk with the Lord.

Other things should take more consideration and prayer, such as whether or not to buy a new/different vehicle...why, when, what type, how much, etc.

If we develope the trait of considering everything in light of Scripture before we act then we can help ensure we are walking in the Spirit and not in the flesh in these matters.

Back to my rider mower example. Had I simply followed my flesh I would have purchased a very nice one with accessories and added comforts. However, I determinded ahead of time, through consideration and prayer, a more basic rider would serve me well and I shouldn't spend excessively.

As an example of wrong motives, a family member became jealous that I now had a rider mower and they decided they had to have one and a much better one than I had, or any of their neighbors had. They went out and bought an expensive model with "goodies".

Again, nothing wrong in and of itself in owning a rider mower, but what is our heart in the matter?

Excellent answer - God always knows the motive behind the motive. I try to always ask myself when buying things is do I really need it more than the poorest person in my church needs help? Can I justify the expense or the need when I KNOW someone needs food, clothes or financial assistance. I know of many Christians that have four cars, but need only one. Have five bedroom houses and only use one bedroom. Go on vacations often, etc, etc, but there are members in their congregation that eat twice a week or are sick and can't afford the hospital, etc.
When we realise that everything we have belongs to God then I think most of us would manage our finances, our lives etc better.