• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Panetta: Troops in Graphic Video Will be Punished

• Administrators

Oh, brother. This is absolutely ridiculous. No-one has said that what these soldiers did was right. In fact, they have called for APPROPRIATE punishment. Not the kind Hillary et. al. are calling for. There is no rightness in what they did, but I am appalled at the reactions of some who seem to want to crucify some young soldiers who gave in to base instinct. Man, oh, man - if that's the attitude, no wonder souls aren't being saved....

• Members

Oh, brother. This is absolutely ridiculous. No-one has said that what these soldiers did was right. In fact, they have called for APPROPRIATE punishment. Not the kind Hillary et. al. are calling for. There is no rightness in what they did, but I am appalled at the reactions of some who seem to want to crucify some young soldiers who gave in to base instinct. Man, oh, man - if that's the attitude, no wonder souls aren't being saved....

They resist responsibility and ownership of what they have a part in. The soldiers are their scapegoat sent into the wilderness.

• Members

Who said they wanted to crucify them? As for me, I have never stated what I thought was appropriate punishment, all I've stated is that it was 100% wrong.

I believe the military court ought to decided what is the appropriate punishment.

These guys should receive Non-Judicial Punishment (NJP) from their unit's C.O. The act they committed was not a courts martial offense, it should never go to courts martial procedures. However, with all the attention the press is giving this some of our nations soldiers will most likely face some greater penalty than would normally be imposed and even go to courts martial.

These guys can suffer enough under the articles of NJP, including restriction, reduction in rank, forfeiture of pay, limited incarceration, bread and water, correctional custody, or combinations of more than one.

• Administrators

Jerry, I wasn't inferring that you stated what would be appropriate punishment. But there are many people calling for extreme disciplinary actions...similar to your idea that it should go to military court. There is no necessity for the military court to get involved. That is overkill, completely. Col. West's recommendations were good, and punitive enough. Dave's idea is similar.

These were young, foolish men. No doubt about it. But too harsh punishment would be more foolish.