• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Panetta: Troops in Graphic Video Will be Punished

• Members

AgredJerry

My mum always said two wrongs don't make a right.

Wrong + wrong = 2 wrongs.

Thank you, I’m glad someone understands this.

Its always amazing to me at the number of people, especially Christians, that will defend, justify something that's totally wrong because they claim others did it, or even worse. Our only measuring stick is Christ, yet even many Christians will measure them self against other Christians, & or even unbelievers trying to make wrong not as bad as it is & or trying to justify wrongs being done. Wow, that also makes havoc of the ‘Golden Rule' as well, Matthew 7:13

2Co 10:12 For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.

1Pe 2:21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:

• Members

War is a hideous pastime which has been with us since Cain slew Abel. War no matter how it is portrayed in literature, art, and history is not a gentleman's sport. To the elite it is a means to fame and fortune. To those who stay at home while their brother's are cast in harms way as cannon fodder it is a glorious crusade. To those who are forced to participate it is kill or be killed. How dare those who sit at home in safety judge the men they put in harms way.

God bless,
Larry

""Amazing at the wrongs, sin, people will defend, & in the name of God. Even saying I dare you. Yes, simply amazing.

And there is no reason for such behavior, and because others do it, that still is not a legitimate excuse & does not make it right.

Its never right to do wrong, never!

And its never right to do wrong to bring about right, never.

Defending wrong is just as bad as doing wrong. ""

I don't see in my short entry that I dared anybody to do or say anything. I also don't read in my short entry that I said that any man involved in this incident was justified in what he did. I have never said that 2 wrongs make a right especially in the above mentioned entry. But one thing I do plead guilty to. I did not judge these men nor will I ever judge these men because that is the domain of my heavenly father not me. He knows their minds and their hearts. . . . I do not. And I do thank the Lord that he has not given such a terrible and awesome task to me or any other man.

God bless,
Larry

• Members

War is a hideous pastime which has been with us since Cain slew Abel. War no matter how it is portrayed in literature, art, and history is not a gentleman's sport. To the elite it is a means to fame and fortune. To those who stay at home while their brother's are cast in harms way as cannon fodder it is a glorious crusade. To those who are forced to participate it is kill or be killed. How dare those who sit at home in safety judge the men they put in harms way.

God bless,
Larry

""Amazing at the wrongs, sin, people will defend, & in the name of God. Even saying I dare you. Yes, simply amazing.

And there is no reason for such behavior, and because others do it, that still is not a legitimate excuse & does not make it right.

Its never right to do wrong, never!

And its never right to do wrong to bring about right, never.

Defending wrong is just as bad as doing wrong. ""

I don't see in my short entry that I dared anybody to do or say anything. I also don't read in my short entry that I said that any man involved in this incident was justified in what he did. I have never said that 2 wrongs make a right especially in the above mentioned entry. But one thing I do plead guilty to. I did not judge these men nor will I ever judge these men because that is the domain of my heavenly father not me. He knows their minds and their hearts. . . . I do not. And I do thank the Lord that he has not given such a terrible and awesome task to me or any other man.

God bless,
Larry

Its quite easy to see what is wrong with this without being there, especially with something like this, but you dare me who sets home in safety to say a word about it.

Oh by the way, I've already served this country, & I have the right to speak out offering my opinion, as do all Americans. So why would you use the word, dare us? That seems as your taking up for the wrong. Edited by Jerry80871852

• Members

This is typicaly fallen human nature and something American soldiers have been a party to from the beginning.

It was common for American soldiers, and American's on the frontier in general, from the colonial period on, to desecrate the dead of their enemies as a form of psychological warfare. Various American Indian tribes held beliefs regarding their dead and the afterlife. American soldiers would often desecrate bodies of dead Indian warriors so those still alive would believe their fallen warriors were now unable to enter the Great Hunting Ground (or whatever the specific tribe called their afterlife).

Scalping was another tactic used to desecrate the dead. In other wars American soldiers would sometimes chop the dead enemy into pieces, gouge out their eyes, desecrate the private areas, etc.

None of this makes such actions as these or what the Marines did to the dead Taliban right, but it's all part of the fallen nature of man and something that's actually common throughout American history. Such is also common throughout the history of most other peoples as well.

Without Christ, lost man is capable of much wickedness and indulges in much wickedness. What American soldiers need is Christ. It's a shame that Christianity has been attacked in the military and Christ and biblical Christianity have been pushed aside as they attempt to push Christ out of the military.

If these men can't be reached with the Gospel then they will die in their sins along with those dead Taliban.

• Members

Yes, what those marines did was tasteless. Not criminal, but tasteless. I agree with Allen West:

"

“I have sat back and assessed the incident with the video of our Marines urinating on Taliban corpses. I do not recall any self-righteous indignation when our Delta snipers Shugart and Gordon had their bodies dragged through Mogadishu.

Neither do I recall media outrage and condemnation of our Blackwater security contractors bein

g killed, their bodies burned, and hung from a bridge in Fallujah. All these over-emotional pundits and armchair quarterbacks need to chill.

Does anyone remember the two Soldiers from the 101st Airborne Division who were beheaded and gutted in Iraq?

The Marines were wrong. Give them a maximum punishment under field grade level Article 15 (non-judicial punishment),

place a General Officer level letter of reprimand in their personnel file, and have them in full dress uniform stand before their

Battalion, each personally apologize to God, Country, and Corps videotaped and conclude by singing the full US Marine Corps

Hymn without a teleprompter. As for everyone else, unless you have been shot at by the Taliban, shut your mouth, war is __."

I agree, war and violence can make the best people (believers included) do the worst things, this doesn't make it right, but unless you have been under fire, seen and done what they have done to stay alive, keep their friends alive and protect your right to sit in safety on a couch and watch CNN, then you have no right to stand in judgment. I find it disturbing how so many in America and the world stand in judgment and condemn the soldiers who live and die for the so called rights of others who have never lifted a finger to defend their own rights, never mind the rights and lives of others. War is ugly and never black and white.

• Members

I agree, war and violence can make the best people (believers included) do the worst things, this doesn't make it right, but unless you have been under fire, seen and done what they have done to stay alive, keep their friends alive and protect your right to sit in safety on a couch and watch CNN, then you have no right to stand in judgment. I find it disturbing how so many in America and the world stand in judgment and condemn the soldiers who live and die for the so called rights of others who have never lifted a finger to defend their own rights, never mind the rights and lives of others. War is ugly and never black and white.

According to the American system, everyone has a right to speak out, for good or bad, regarding the conduct of the troops or other matters.

From a Christian perspective, there is always a "black and white", a right and wrong. From a Christian I would expect them to follow Christ at all times, including in war, and there are plenty of examples of Christians who have done so.

At the same time, for those who are lost we can't really expect them to always have a sense of what is right or wrong and we can't expect lost people to always do right.

War is a terrible thing and many sins are committed in times of war, but the same occurs in times of peace as well. Without Christ the lost will do wrong and they will sin whether in war or as a civilian in peace. Salvation in Christ is the answer.

• Members

According to the American system, everyone has a right to speak out, for good or bad, regarding the conduct of the troops or other matters.

From a Christian perspective, there is always a "black and white", a right and wrong. From a Christian I would expect them to follow Christ at all times, including in war, and there are plenty of examples of Christians who have done so.

At the same time, for those who are lost we can't really expect them to always have a sense of what is right or wrong and we can't expect lost people to always do right.

War is a terrible thing and many sins are committed in times of war, but the same occurs in times of peace as well. Without Christ the lost will do wrong and they will sin whether in war or as a civilian in peace. Salvation in Christ is the answer.

Amen!!

• Members

"And when the LORD thy God shall deliver them before thee; thou shalt smite them, and utterly destroy them; thou shalt make no covenant with them, nor shew mercy unto them:" Deuteronomy 7:2

Jerry, according to your logic did Israel sin by going to war or not obeying God to utterly destroy the enemy?

• Members

"And when the LORD thy God shall deliver them before thee; thou shalt smite them, and utterly destroy them; thou shalt make no covenant with them, nor shew mercy unto them:" Deuteronomy 7:2

Jerry, according to your logic did Israel sin by going to war or not obeying God to utterly destroy the enemy?

The verse you quote here is specific to Israel and specific in who is to be destroyed.

• Members

War makes man do worse things. Really? Isn't it sin that dwells within us the cause, that is if you believe the Bible is God's true Word?

War making man do bad things is just another excuse.

Indeed, neither war nor anything else "makes" a man do bad things, whether non-christian or Christian. We sin when we give into our sinful lusts.

I've read several stories over the years of Christians who found themselves in times of war yet refused to conduct themselves in a sinful manner. They CHOSE to follow Christ even in war rather than to CHOOSE to sin.

• Members

Jas 4:1 ¶ From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?

Of course what you really want to know about is wars in this time, & twist Old testament Scriptures to the opinion you hold to.

The rightful answer to your question is in James 4:1, why does war come about, because of lust, & if war comes about because of lust, them its sin.

• Members

Perry defends Marines accused of urinating on corpses

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Texas Governor Rick Perry, scrambling to keep his U.S. presidential bid alive, accused the Obama administration on Sunday of over-reacting to a videotape that shows four Marines appearing to urinate on dead Taliban fighters in Afghanistan.
"These kids made a mistake. There's not any doubt about it. They shouldn't have done it. It's bad," Perry told CNN's "State of the Union" program.
"But to call it a criminal act, I think, is over the top," said Perry, who faces a possible make-or-break performance in the South Carolina Republican presidential primary on Saturday.
The U.S. Marine Corps named an investigative officer last week to decide what, if any, charges to bring against the four Marines shown in the widely circulated videotape.
Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and other members of the Obama administration have denounced the action by the Marines.
"Defiling, desecrating, mocking, photographing or filming for personal use insurgent dead constitutes a grave breach of the (law of armed conflict)," Lieutenant General Curtis Scaparrotti, who heads day-to-day Afghan operations, wrote the troops last week.
Perry, a former Air Force pilot, said the four Marines should be appropriately punished. "But going after them as a criminal act, I think (is) really a bad message," he said.
Suggesting that armed conflict can alter personal behavior, Perry noted that "there is a picture" of legendary Army General George Patton urinating in the Rhine River in Germany near the end of World War Two.
"Although there's not a picture," Perry added, British Prime Minister Winston "Churchill did the same thing on the Siegfried line," a massive wall of German defenses.

http://news.yahoo.com/perry-defends-marines-accused-urinating-corpses-201422122.html