• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Sad state of affairs

• Members

Just been watching "who wants to be a millionaire? on BBC and couldn't believe that an adult couple didn't know that Jesus was the person who gave the Beatitudes sermon. It just goes to show how we assume that people know some bible, but most don't know any?

How sad is that? How does that reflect on us as Christians?

• Members

That's actually a very good and important point. Time and again I hear how "everyone" has heard the Gospel, read some of the Bible, attended a Christian church, knows about Jesus, etc.

The fact is there are actually many in this country who have no real idea who Jesus is, what the Bible says, what the Gospel is, or ever set foot in a real church.

As a matter of fact, there are many professing Christians who attend watered down or wayward churches that rarely, if ever, read even a verse from the Bible, don't hear actual biblical preaching and know precious little of true Christianity.

Just been watching "who wants to be a millionaire? on BBC and couldn't believe that an adult couple didn't know that Jesus was the person who gave the Beatitudes sermon. It just goes to show how we assume that people know some bible, but most don't know any?

How sad is that? How does that reflect on us as Christians?

I doubt these people know the value of an ounce of gold in British Pounds or who determined that value either. Unsaved folks in this world and some Christians too, fail to do any investigation. They only care to hear a certain amount as it impacts them directly.

• Members

Whenever I have seen a question on the bible, it is considered a hard question and is usually not answered. They are usually extremely easy questions for ANY christian.

By the way, HWTBAM is not on the BBC but on the ITV channel.

• Members

With digital TV we now have hundreds of channels and the more channels we get, the less there seems wirth watching.

We like the New Years Day Concert from Vienna, but we missed it live this year as we were at church, although I did have it set to record the highlights in the evening, but have not watched it all yet. We also like "The Last Night of the Proms." but that is not so good the last three years or so, since they dropped the sea shanties. Apart from that, we mainly watch the news, or one of the channels which shows mainly repeats.

• Members

Sounds about the same as here. We have more channels but not more programming actually worth watching. We mostly watch the news and some channels that repeat old shows from many years ago. Overall we don't watch that much TV.

I must agree - not much decent on TV these days, stick to the travel channel or documentaries. At least I don't have to pay for the rubbish, part of my lease aggreament.

• Members

That's actually a very good and important point. Time and again I hear how "everyone" has heard the Gospel, read some of the Bible, attended a Christian church, knows about Jesus, etc.

The fact is there are actually many in this country who have no real idea who Jesus is, what the Bible says, what the Gospel is, or ever set foot in a real church.

As a matter of fact, there are many professing Christians who attend watered down or wayward churches that rarely, if ever, read even a verse from the Bible, don't hear actual biblical preaching and know precious little of true Christianity.

Then again there are legalistic, elitist, controlling churches where the members are constantly told how liberal and "watered down" the other churches are, while their church is the only good church in the area, and how they will probably lose their families if they get out from under the 'protection' of said controlling church. The members are kept in line with manipulation and scare tactics and consequently have no joy and no victory so they don't set the world on fire for Christ any more than the liberal churches they proudly criticize.

• Members

Then again there are legalistic, elitist, controlling churches where the members are constantly told how liberal and "watered down" the other churches are, while their church is the only good church in the area, and how they will probably lose their families if they get out from under the 'protection' of said controlling church. The members are kept in line with manipulation and scare tactics and consequently have no joy and no victory so they don't set the world on fire for Christ any more than the liberal churches they proudly criticize.

Any church that preaches contrary to the Word is not good and something followers of Christ should separate from.

• Members

At times we have had somebody come into our services who say they have never been in a church before. One of them who said she did not know our church was there, even though she has lived just round the corner for years, and we regularly delivered leaflets there.

• Members

A growing percentage of people in both our countries have never been to church. The number of those who have no real connection to any Christian denomination or beliefs is growing. Most of these have little or no interest in area churches, the things of God or the Bible.

It's little wonder our societies are decaying and aliens are taking over.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

A growing percentage of people in both our countries have never been to church. The number of those who have no real connection to any Christian denomination or beliefs is growing. Most of these have little or no interest in area churches, the things of God or the Bible.

It's little wonder our societies are decaying and aliens are taking over.

This is sad to say the least but what is really sad is that in a country where the gospel is so available that people choose to miss out on the love of a lifetime.

• Members

This is sad to say the least but what is really sad is that in a country where the gospel is so available that people choose to miss out on the love of a lifetime.

That's very true. In a country that has multitudes of churches, Christian bookstores, Christian radio, Christian TV, tracts, booklets and even books placed all about, access to Bibles all around, access to Bibles and Christian books in or through the local library, it's so sad that so many are not only still lost, but so uninformed as to what the Gospel even is.

• Members

It is sad that many only know the teaching of evolution.

I once gave a young man where I worked, the Chick tract, Big Daddy. Although I did not like that tract very much, it made him think. He said "I didn't know there was an alternative to evolution."

Edited by Invicta