• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Gay couple win suit over names on birth certificate

• Members

In your 1st post you seemed to be condoling this type of relationship. It seemed you attitude was to ignore the sin right in front of this mother, acting like all was well. Them you stated this, ”Whether we think their lifestyle is sinful or not, to that child, both partners are parents. They love that child just like I love my daughters. I think that ought to be recognized.”

And it seemed to be going on at church, Why not tell this person that their lifestyle of being a lesbian disagrees with God, that God does not condone such a lifestyle. Of course if you speak God’s truths there is risk, this lesbian mother may hate you for it, hate church for it, but it’s a fact, the sinner will not turn from their sin until they’re exposed. But there is another risk, they just might turn from their sin, turning to God.

2Ti 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

You did not do this, you seemed to just act nicy nicy. Rebuke sin, try & be nice about it, try to do so in a loving caring way. Sad to say, no matter how nice, loving, caring, we may be, that person may not accept it in that manner. Yet if we don’t do this, they will think we approve & welcome those living in such sins to our church families.

• Members

In your 1st post you seemed to be condoling this type of relationship. It seemed you attitude was to ignore the sin right in front of this mother, acting like all was well. Them you stated this, ”Whether we think their lifestyle is sinful or not, to that child, both partners are parents. They love that child just like I love my daughters. I think that ought to be recognized.”

And it seemed to be going on at church, Why not tell this person that their lifestyle of being a lesbian disagrees with God, that God does not condone such a lifestyle. Of course if you speak God’s truths there is risk, this lesbian mother may hate you for it, hate church for it, but it’s a fact, the sinner will not turn from their sin until they’re exposed. But there is another risk, they just might turn from their sin, turning to God.

2Ti 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

You did not do this, you seemed to just act nicy nicy. Rebuke sin, try & be nice about it, try to do so in a loving caring way. Sad to say, no matter how nice, loving, caring, we may be, that person may not accept it in that manner. Yet if we don’t do this, they will think we approve & welcome those living in such sins to our church families.

Background....my friend is the daughter of a minister at the church I attended at the time. She knows we beleive the Bible and knows what it says. She disagrees with it, and I can respect her for her decision, though I disagree with it. Having said that, I believe I am supposed to show the love of Christ by all of my actions and words. If I say I love her, but then do not treat her in a respectful manner and tell her she does not have a right to raise her child because she is a lesbian, is that showing her the love of Christ? If I do not respect her decision to have a lesbian partner and make her feel uncomfortable at church by demeaning her in front of other people, is that showing her love?

She knows my position on homosexuality, so there is no need to beat a dead horse. I will continue to show her love through my actions and words. I will continue to have her and her spouse to dinner with me on occassion. I will not change her. It is not my job to change her. It is my job to love her as a sister. It is my job to respect her decisions. Her actions are between her and God. I will let God work on that.

When I introduced my friend to someone else at church, and her partner walked up, she was uncomfortable because she knows what the church thinks. When the other person asked who her partner was, should I have said, yes, she is the "aunt" or "friend?" That would be a lie. I simply said, "No, this is the other mother." To which she replied, "It is nice to meet you."

They know the Bible. They know what we think of homosexual sex. Their willingness to bring their child to church and come to church is very encouraging, and shows they may be open to Christ. If I started trying to force my convictions on them, they would leave immediately. Instead, I will make them feel welcome, and hope the message of Christ penetrates their hearts. Only Christ can change them. I can do nothing but love them.

But that is off point. the point here is whether parental rights should be terminated merely because one is gay. I do not believe it should be.

• Members

So you attend a church that the pastors daughter is living openly as a lesbian & attends this church.

It was our education minister. I attended it until I moved to a new town. I don't see what the decsions of an adult child have to do with a minister's role in the church. She doesn't attend regularly, only when she comes into town to visit her family. Edited by kindofblue1977

• Moderators

So you attend a church that the pastors daughter is living openly as a lesbian & attends this church.

I believe the appropriate question would be a distinction between attends and is a member.

Just like heterosexual "shack-ups", attendance is one thing, membership is out of the question.

• Members

I believe the appropriate question would be a distinction between attends and is a member.

Just like heterosexual "shack-ups", attendance is one thing, membership is out of the question.

Yes, there would be a major difference in attending, & being a member. And of course if they're a member, & they're living in the open sin of homosexuality, thus they bring shame on Jesus & His church, & their parent is in a role of leadership, that makes for a bad situation.

Usually if one that has a family member bent in that direction it will affect what they teach, or should I say, they will stay away, avoid, certain teachings to keep from offending their loved one & or making people think of what their child is doing.