• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Gay couple win suit over names on birth certificate

• Members

If two people are in a committed relationship raising a child and providing a good, loving home for that child, then they are that child's parents.

Some lesbian friends visited ours visited church and brought their lovely 9 month old daughter. My friend carried the baby and gave birth, and her partner is her other parent. I introduced my friend and her baby, and her partner walked up and took the baby. The lady asked my friend if that was the baby's aunt. She didn't know how to respond, so I said that no, that is the baby's other mommy.

Whether we think their lifestyle is sinful or not, to that child, both partners are parents. They love that child just like I love my daughters. I think that ought to be recognized.

Gay couples in a committed relationship ought to be able to adopt. There are far too many children growing up without parents or in foster care, and many of them could find a good loving home with gay parents.

I know most if not all here will disagree with me. But think about it. In the case of my lesbian friend who caried the baby to term, or many others like her, what if she died when the child was 8 years old? Who would have the rights to the child? The other mom, who that child knows and loves, or the extended family of the deceased, who may have disowned their daughter for being lesbian? I believe the legal rights ought to be with the other mom (unless she is abusive or there is another reason). It would be terrible to rip a child away from that mom, and very traumatic for that child.

Edited by kindofblue1977

• Moderators

You're right - such a situation would be traumatic for a child. That's why such situations should never be allowed to develop in the first place. We as Christians are instructed to 'train up a child in the way he should go.' Putting a child in a situation where they will grow up thinking that sins of this nature are all right (in the case of a foster or adopted child) certainly goes against this admonition. I realize that this world/society does not recognize God's commands, but we are restrained to make them the center of our worldviews and opinions.

One often hears people argue that we have to adjust God's clear directives to allow for the complications of such convoluted situations as the example given here. It seems to me that it is the effects of sin in our lives and in this world that create 'complicated' situations like this. If the sin was removed, the complications might just cease. It is not practical to expect that sin will ever be eradicated in this present world, but we should not use the consequences of sin as an excuse to ignore the commands of Christ.

• Members

You're right - such a situation would be traumatic for a child. That's why such situations should never be allowed to develop in the first place. We as Christians are instructed to 'train up a child in the way he should go.' Putting a child in a situation where they will grow up thinking that sins of this nature are all right (in the case of a foster or adopted child) certainly goes against this admonition. I realize that this world/society does not recognize God's commands, but we are restrained to make them the center of our worldviews and opinions.

One often hears people argue that we have to adjust God's clear directives to allow for the complications of such convoluted situations as the example given here. It seems to me that it is the effects of sin in our lives and in this world that create 'complicated' situations like this. If the sin was removed, the complications might just cease. It is not practical to expect that sin will ever be eradicated in this present world, but we should not use the consequences of sin as an excuse to ignore the commands of Christ.

We all have a sin nature and sin in our lives. If that were the standard, none of us would be fit to be parents. If that were the case, people of other religions should not be allowed to be parents. What two people do in their bedroom affects no one and causes no harm. It is far better for two loving people who are gay to raise children than a verbally and physically absusive parent.

It is a sin sick and perverted nation we've allowed to evolve. We know God hates sin and God can't have fellowship with non-repenting sinners. We know God specifically targeted sodomy as a sin akin to idolatry. For both of these sins nations become so far out of God's will and in opposition to him they are driven into his anger and destruction follows. As Christians we must take some blame for not standing against this sin and allowing it to appear in the extreme we see now.

The argument above for the toleration of the sin of homosexuality because God's choice for parents sin through child abuse is utterly preposterous. What? Let's promote one sin to prevent another sin? Please, I may be ignorant at times but, I'm not void of intelligence.

• Members

It is a sin sick and perverted nation we've allowed to evolve. We know God hates sin and God can't have fellowship with non-repenting sinners. We know God specifically targeted sodomy as a e sin akin to idolatry. For both of these sins nations become so far out of God's will and in opposition to him they are driven into his anger and destruction follows. As Christians we must take some blame for not standing against this sin and allowing it to appear in the extreme we see now.

The argument above for the toleration of the sin of homosexuality because God's choice for parents sin through child abuse is utterly preposterous. What? Let's promote one sin to prevent another sin? Please, I may be ignorant at times but, I'm not void of intelligence.

All humans are sinners. We all struggle with sin. What I am saying is that we have a broken world, and we must make the best of what the reality is. The reality is there are thousands of children in foster care waiting to be adopted. There are many couples, both homosexual and heterosexual, who would love to adopt some of these children. Placing a child in a loving homosexual home is much better for the child than placing the child in foster care where he or she will bounce around from house to house.

If a lesbian couple has a child, then the woman that carried that child is the mother. Who is the other parent? It isn't the father who happend to donate sperm to a sperm bank. He is not involved in the child's life and never will be. It is the other mother, who will raise and love that child as her own, who is committed to her partner. Her name should be on the birth certificate. She should be given preference for custody should the other mother die.

When is it appropriate to terminate parental rights? When the child is endangered. When a child is beaten. When a child is neglected. When a child is abused. When a child is not given proper physical care. Are you saying we should terminate a mother's rights who gave birth because she is a lesbian. In that case, my parental rights should be terminated because I too, am a sinner.

I know many heterosexual couples who are a sad excuse for parents, but in many of those cases, it is not appropriate to take away their children, if they are not abused or neglected. My lesbian friend and her partner are wonderful parents and provide a wonderful home for their child. I fail to see anything wrong with that, regardless of what I think happens in their bedroom (I have no idea, they may be celebate for all I know).

• Members

If two people are in a committed relationship raising a child and providing a good, loving home for that child, then they are that child's parents.

Some lesbian friends visited ours visited church and brought their lovely 9 month old daughter. My friend carried the baby and gave birth, and her partner is her other parent. I introduced my friend and her baby, and her partner walked up and took the baby. The lady asked my friend if that was the baby's aunt. She didn't know how to respond, so I said that no, that is the baby's other mommy.

Whether we think their lifestyle is sinful or not, to that child, both partners are parents. They love that child just like I love my daughters. I think that ought to be recognized.

Gay couples in a committed relationship ought to be able to adopt. There are far too many children growing up without parents or in foster care, and many of them could find a good loving home with gay parents.

I know most if not all here will disagree with me. But think about it. In the case of my lesbian friend who caried the baby to term, or many others like her, what if she died when the child was 8 years old? Who would have the rights to the child? The other mom, who that child knows and loves, or the extended family of the deceased, who may have disowned their daughter for being lesbian? I believe the legal rights ought to be with the other mom (unless she is abusive or there is another reason). It would be terrible to rip a child away from that mom, and very traumatic for that child.

What do you mean, if we think that life style is sinful or not. The Bible is very clear on that, that life style is sinful.

What are we to do, rebuke sin, not go along with it, glossing it over as if its a good thing.

Of course rebuking sin means one has to stand with Christ.

• Members

What do you mean, if we think that life style is sinful or not. The Bible is very clear on that, that life style is sinful.

What are we to do, rebuke sin, not go along with it, glossing it over as if its a good thing.

Of course rebuking sin means one has to stand with Christ.

I mean there are two very separate and distinct issues here:

1. Is the behavior sinful? I agree that homosexual sex is sinful.

2. What behavior is necessary to terminate or refuse parental rights? The answer to that should be if behavior is abusive to a child or neglects a child. Mere sinful behavior is not sufficient under the law to terminate paretnal rights. If that were the case, none of us would have any rights as parents. I happen to believe, and can back it up with people I know, that a homosexual or lesbian couple who are committed to one another can be very good parents (not all are, but neither are all heterosexual couples).

If you deny one partner from being a parent to a child, what is to say someone cannot come in and terminate the paretnal rights of the birth mother who is a lesbian? Do you think that is right, even if she is providing physically and emotinally for the child's wellbeing? Edited by kindofblue1977

• Members

Romans 1: 24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

• Members

Your response is excellent on the grounds of secularism but totally wrong if Christianity is considered at all.

All humans are sinners. We all struggle with sin. What I am saying is that we have a broken world, and we must make the best of what the reality is. The reality is there are thousands of children in foster care waiting to be adopted. There are many couples, both homosexual and heterosexual, who would love to adopt some of these children. Placing a child in a loving homosexual home is much better for the child than placing the child in foster care where he or she will bounce around from house to house.

If a lesbian couple has a child, then the woman that carried that child is the mother. Who is the other parent? It isn't the father who happend to donate sperm to a sperm bank. He is not involved in the child's life and never will be. It is the other mother, who will raise and love that child as her own, who is committed to her partner. Her name should be on the birth certificate. She should be given preference for custody should the other mother die.

When is it appropriate to terminate parental rights? When the child is endangered. When a child is beaten. When a child is neglected. When a child is abused. When a child is not given proper physical care. Are you saying we should terminate a mother's rights who gave birth because she is a lesbian. In that case, my parental rights should be terminated because I too, am a sinner.

I know many heterosexual couples who are a sad excuse for parents, but in many of those cases, it is not appropriate to take away their children, if they are not abused or neglected. My lesbian friend and her partner are wonderful parents and provide a wonderful home for their child. I fail to see anything wrong with that, regardless of what I think happens in their bedroom (I have no idea, they may be celebate for all I know).

The reality is Christians are ostracized in society for speaking against this growing sin epidemic in our nation and the world. Homosexuality has an agenda and it plays well in to a plan orchestrated by Satan; anytime God’s word disagrees with personal preference you are free to ignore God’s word. It’s just like all the other forms of self-gratifying sin. Again, substitute one sin for another?

Here is where Romans chapter 1 becomes so apparent. Reject Christ for a preference toward self-centered, self-satisfying, and self-gratifying preference. What can the outcome be? Teaching the child to reject God and favor sin. Hopefully the child would grow to learn of Christ in some way and reject the sin of these homosexuals and be saved; however, what do you think the chances are for a child to learn the truth of the Bible in this environment? Your statement above is the homosexual mantra and the mantra of Satan’s church…denying God created them male and female attacks God’s creation and ultimately denying Christ. It is no different than saying, “Ye shall not surely die:”

You should not substitute sin as the answer for sin. The Savior is the answer for sin. I’m saying if Christians perform due diligence the opportunity for a woman living in the open sin of homosexuality would not happen in the first place. However, we have far too many “Christians” standing up for the sin and sitting on their hands for the Savior.

Your example of two sinning self-centered homosexuals can only teach one thing. They can teach preference toward sin and rejection of Christ. Try a visit to discussion boards of homosexuals on the internet it won't take you long to understand the perversions going on behind their closed doors...or, on the streets during homosexual pride parades. Is this something you believe is acceptable for Christians, that is, to accept this practice of sin over Savior? Edited by 1Tim115

• Members

Sinful behavior on the part of the parent is enough to doom a child's soul to everlasting hell. Tell us something that's worse than that.

You are missing my point..

At what point do you think it is appropriate to step in and take a child away from the people who have loved and raised that child, and whom that child considers his or her parents? Are you saying that any time a parent is living in sin and is not a believer, the child should be taken away and placed in a Christian home?