• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Know of any cities in need of Baptist church?

• Members

A Korean friend I knew in university (we had a few classes together, used to go to the gym together with another guy to lift weights, and sometimes attended church together), pointed out that the largest Assemblies of God church in the world was in Korea. What he said about the churches in Korea is about the same as Kevin stated, and this was back around the early to mid-90s.

Yes, there are some American Christians who hold to a "our way or you're doing it the wrong way" attitude.

It's also rather funny that while some conservative America Christians consider some foreign Christians to be too liberal, when those foreign Christians come to America and see how the conservative American Christians live and act they are shocked at how worldly they appear to them.

I remember back around 1985 there was a huge international Christian youth event held at a university in the area and a friend and I went there on the final night. We spoke to several youth (teens) from from various European and Asian countries. Many of them were very shocked at what was accepted by American Christians and how the hearts and attitudes of what many American Christians proclaimed didn't seem to match.

It's interesting to note these differences and perceptions and then to try to look objectively at it all.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too funny! I think you get my point (it was not directed at you by the way, just in general)..................

:lol: Oh...I know. I just couldn't resist this opportunity. God bless you, trc.

• Members

Northern Virginia seems like a place that could use a church. One of the faster growing areas in the country with very few IFB churches. With over 4 million people in the D.C. metro area, there are only a handful of good churches. For example, Centreville, VA - my dad's sister's hometown with a population of over 48,000 - has zero IFB churches! As a matter of fact, all of Fairfax County is lacking in good churches. I only saw about five in the county, which is home to over 1 million people. It is the second richest in the country, but may be one of the poorest spiritually.

• Members
A Korean friend I knew in university (we had a few classes together, used to go to the gym together with another guy to lift weights, and sometimes attended church together), pointed out that the largest Assemblies of God church in the world was in Korea. What he said about the churches in Korea is about the same as Kevin stated, and this was back around the early to mid-90s.

Yes, there are some American Christians who hold to a "our way or you're doing it the wrong way" attitude.

It's also rather funny that while some conservative America Christians consider some foreign Christians to be too liberal, when those foreign Christians come to America and see how the conservative American Christians live and act they are shocked at how worldly they appear to them.

I remember back around 1985 there was a huge international Christian youth event held at a university in the area and a friend and I went there on the final night. We spoke to several youth (teens) from from various European and Asian countries. Many of them were very shocked at what was accepted by American Christians and how the hearts and attitudes of what many American Christians proclaimed didn't seem to match.

It's interesting to note these differences and perceptions and then to try to look objectively at it all.

Interesting post. I should say that, despite being more liberal than some might prefer, they are the most passionate Christians I've ever seen. Almost my entire church shows up for the daily 5:00 am prayer meeting. You run into people all the time from different churches witnessing on the streets. I've been given a tract by a Christian one time in America in my whole life and I've been given witnessing tools(such as a pack of tissues with the salvation message) by Christians in Korea several times in the short time that I've been here. I've also never heard people pray like Korean Christians pray.

• Members

That same Korean friend commented upon the dedication of Korean Christians compared to that of American Christians as well. He mentioned things like the early morning gatherings and such. How in Korea most Christians would attend them no matter the hour while in America such things tended to either not be done or only draw a tiny percentage.

He's the only Korean Christian I've ever actually known. The only other Korean I ever spent much time around was a guy in the Air Force. Myself and a couple other guys used to practice some martial arts with him but he was into some eastern religion (don't recall which off hand) and he would get himself into position and meditate and that sort of thing. While he would do that, the other guys and myself would do some excercises like push ups and sit ups until he finished.

:goodpost::amen: John! I think that trc is right when talking about "cultural" differences. When my pastor was in Togo, West Africa...their culture uses drums to worship. While some IFB preachers would "blow a gasket" on this...he says, "Who am I to criticize their culture?" It is what they know...and are familiar with. You know what I mean?

BTW, I know all about drums in worship. :smile

• Members

That's true Molly. I've even encountered some who proclaim that candles are evil because they are used by those who practice witchcraft and demons inhabit the candles or something.

Good grief! Do they even consider the fact that candles were used for light by most of the world for centuries with nothing to do with witchcraft?

And what about those who suddenly decided beards on men were a sign of rebellion and sin and no Christian man should wear one? Did they forget that Jesus and likely most or all of the male prophets as well as the apostles had beards? What about the fact most pastors once sported beards, including the beloved Spurgeon?

[quote].their culture uses drums to worship.[/quote]

To worship what? Devils right? If anything, they have a better reason to stay away from it than Americans do BECAUSE of their culture. Many IFB's in Africa will not use drums either. However, just like here, but worse actually, there is a very strong Charismatic influence and that causes many problems...

[quote="John81"]That's true Molly. I've even encountered some who proclaim that candles are evil because they are used by those who practice witchcraft and demons inhabit the candles or something.

Good grief! Do they even consider the fact that candles were used for light by most of the world for centuries with nothing to do with witchcraft?

And what about those who suddenly decided beards on men were a sign of rebellion and sin and no Christian man should wear one? Did they forget that Jesus and likely most or all of the male prophets as well as the apostles had beards? What about the fact most pastors once sported beards, including the beloved Spurgeon?[/quote]

:goodpost: :amen: John!

I think the PETA people are enough with the candles. LOL.

[quote="Seth Doty"][quote].their culture uses drums to worship.[/quote]

To worship what? Devils right? If anything, they have a better reason to stay away from it than Americans do BECAUSE of their culture. Many IFB's in Africa will not use drums either. However, just like here, but worse actually, there is a very strong Charismatic influence and that causes many problems...[/quote]

Oh...I know all about the drums, seth! My MIL did "extensive" research on them years back. I was actually going to take a class on them...but, I read through enough material and didn't see the need.

My church is praying for this IFB church in Africa. There are no present problems at that one (just the one that sounds like "Magic Kingdom")---but, the missionary pastor is "weaning" them away from them. My pastor said he didn't want to "stick his nose" in that one. They also need instruments which is the main issue, anyway. We are praying that the Holy Spirit convicts their hearts on that. And, that God supplies the instruments VIA our IFB churches.

• Members

To worship what? Devils right? If anything, they have a better reason to stay away from it than Americans do BECAUSE of their culture. Many IFB's in Africa will not use drums either. However, just like here, but worse actually, there is a very strong Charismatic influence and that causes many problems...

Seth, your post is so ripe for a sarcastic comment....but I did say I would let up on the sarcastic posts.

Therefore, let me put it straight to you............There is nothing inherently wrong with drums in the worship of the Lord God and you should be ashamed of yourself in judging believers in other countries and cultures for how the Holy Spirit has led them to worship the Father.

While there certainly are those who use the drum to worship the Devil and participate in voodoo, etc.............the same could be said for other instruments such as the piano and organ....................it is all in the motivation and leading of God's Spirit.

Wow, you are right.................I feel liberated not having to use sarcasm to disagree with a brother, thank you for the warning.

• Members

Seth, your post is so ripe for a sarcastic comment....but I did say I would let up on the sarcastic posts.

Therefore, let me put it straight to you............There is nothing inherently wrong with drums in the worship of the Lord God and you should be ashamed of yourself in judging believers in other countries and cultures for how the Holy Spirit has led them to worship the Father.

While there certainly are those who use the drum to worship the Devil and participate in voodoo, etc.............the same could be said for other instruments such as the piano and organ....................it is all in the motivation and leading of God's Spirit.

Wow, you are right.................I feel liberated not having to use sarcasm to disagree with a brother, thank you for the warning.

Hey! You're on a roll. That's at least two posts of yours now that are clear enough for me to understand! :Green