• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Know of any cities in need of Baptist church?

Not disagreeing with NC, but many churches are no longer conservative in their teachings. And if he is looking for a church that teaches against pants on women, then that number drops dramatically. That would be true anywhere in the US.

Here in Southern, MI, there is only 1 church in a 45 minute radius of where I live that would meet his criteria and I wouldn't classify this church as a good church, just one that meets his criteria.

That is one of the reasons why we loved Concord Bible Church. They were very conservative. The first thing that I noticed was NOT a single woman was in pants. In fact, they were like "Southern Bells." It is a very welcoming church.

The pastor also has a group of young men from Bob Jones University (where he is a graduate) who were doing lessons in the adult Sunday School class. The SS lessons and preaching is phenomenal!! The children's SS classes and Junior Church are wonderful, as well. :thumb

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all your inputs on the areas you know about. I didn't realize that a church is looked at negatively when they don't teach against women wearing pants?? Please don't post for or against that position' date=' I have searched this site and seen lots of pages concerning it. Thanks again for all you that posted. Happy a Happy Thanksgiving![/quote']

Ooops. Sorry, I just saw your post, Brother Chad. :-)

I like the idea of staying in your home area and asking your own home church to help you with starting a "sister church" in a neighboring town/city. Of course you must do God's will if He wills you go elsewhere. But I just personally believe this is the ideal way to begin a new church - by another neighboring church "birthing" a new church and having some of the people break off to help build the sister church. Our church has done this' date=' and now the two churches have sweet fellowship together now and then, and the area outreach is all the more bigger![/quote']

Cleveland Baptist Church has helped start neighboring "sister churches" in my area. It is wonderful! My old IFB church is an off-shoot of CBC. My current IFB church is not; however, my pastor grew up attending CBC.

My hubby loves this idea! I am more adventurous, but it is NOT my decision. Besides, after this move...I want to stay put. :wink

:goodpost: Katie. God bless.

Bright Light Baptist Church in Concord, NC, is a very good IFB church. I have been there for campmeeting in the past.

In Christ,
PreacherE

Thanks, PreacherE. :thumb

• Members

Thanks for the Independent baptist website with all those churches listed. I looked at cities around our area and I was not surprised to see several of the churches we visited on that list. One is an absolute farce. It is about a mile and a half from our house. It is a travesty of a church and ought to be closed up. Balls Creek Baptist Church outside Newton, is as charismatic as they come!!!!!!!!! No way is it an IFB church!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I did see some that were interesting and we may check them out. CJP56.

• Members

[quote="CJP56"]Thanks for the Independent baptist website with all those churches listed. I looked at cities around our area and I was not surprised to see several of the churches we visited on that list. One is an absolute farce. It is about a mile and a half from our house. It is a travesty of a church and ought to be closed up. Balls Creek Baptist Church outside Newton, is as charismatic as they come!!!!!!!!! No way is it an IFB church!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I did see some that were interesting and we may check them out. CJP56.[/quote]

What made Balls Creek charismatic?

• Members

What makes them Charismatic? Well, for starters, the pastor's wife stood up in front of the podium a lot during the morning service and waved her hands in the air. During Sunday school the pastor was talking about the Apostle Paul, and then he asked, So what can we say about the Apostle Paul? And his wife said, It means that Paul was really stupid. He didn't correct her!!!!!!!!
The church has an assisstant pastor who was playing a guitar during the morning service and he and the congregation sang the same song over and over and over. The pastor just stood by the pulpit and a few people came up to the front and he put some oil on their foreheads, prayed over them in a loud charismatic, almost speaking in tongues type way, and they sat back down. The singing of the same song went on and on some more and it began to get close to 12 noon. Finally the assisstant pastor said, well, I was supposed to preach today but the Lord told me to not do that, so Brother (pick a name) pray and we will go home. My DH and I were nearly sick to our stomachs. I had almost walked out several times but my DH wanted to see what else they were going to do. We obviously didn't go back. CJP56.

• Members
What makes them Charismatic? Well, for starters, the pastor's wife stood up in front of the podium a lot during the morning service and waved her hands in the air. During Sunday school the pastor was talking about the Apostle Paul, and then he asked, So what can we say about the Apostle Paul? And his wife said, It means that Paul was really stupid. He didn't correct her!!!!!!!!
The church has an assisstant pastor who was playing a guitar during the morning service and he and the congregation sang the same song over and over and over. The pastor just stood by the pulpit and a few people came up to the front and he put some oil on their foreheads, prayed over them in a loud charismatic, almost speaking in tongues type way, and they sat back down. The singing of the same song went on and on some more and it began to get close to 12 noon. Finally the assisstant pastor said, well, I was supposed to preach today but the Lord told me to not do that, so Brother (pick a name) pray and we will go home. My DH and I were nearly sick to our stomachs. I had almost walked out several times but my DH wanted to see what else they were going to do. We obviously didn't go back. CJP56.

Therefore your definition of Charismatic is:

- Lifting one's hands to the Lord in praise
- Playing any guitar during a Church service
- Anointing the believer with oil
- The prompting of the Holy Spirit to have another preach rather than the scheduled preacher
- Wouldn't be able to ask an appropriate question concerning the Pastor's wife challenging Paul as being "stupid" as there was really no context given (you and I both know that even the most Godly believers in the Scriptures did say and do some stupid things)

___ Yes

___ No

___ Undecided

• Members

Therefore your definition of Charismatic is:

- Lifting one's hands to the Lord in praise
- Playing any guitar during a Church service
- Anointing the believer with oil
- The prompting of the Holy Spirit to have another preach rather than the scheduled preacher
- Wouldn't be able to ask an appropriate question concerning the Pastor's wife challenging Paul as being "stupid" as there was really no context given (you and I both know that even the most Godly believers in the Scriptures did say and do some stupid things)

___ Yes

___ No

___ Undecided

Hey! You made a post I can understand! :clap:

• Members
I suspect most of us know what your talking about CJP56. :wink

Probably true.

The part about playing the same song over and over again, I've noticed many churches do that when they have an altar call. Some will repeat the song until they finally get someone to come forward, even if it's an already saved church member simply wanting this to end.

• Members
Yes' date=' I believe it is their attempt to fake the Holy Spirit. Works too, unless someone knows what the real thing looks like. :Green[/quote']

Agreed! That's the way I see it. One thing bad about this is that to those who are in attendance that are not saved, this tends to make the pastor/church look desperate for converts and sometimes gives the impression they are trying to pressure folks into making a profession whether it's real or not.

I don't know how some folks can sit through such services week after week, year after year.

• Members

If you want to believe that all those goings on were fine and dandy you are free to do so. May I ask what part of the country you are from? I am from Indiana and I have been saved for 40 years. I have sat under the preaching of a lot of the most famous preachers this country ever heard of for 40 years. I am an Independent Fundamental Baptist and I know what an IFB church is supposed to be like and how they are supposed to conduct services, and Balls Creek Baptist church is a charismatic church, period. CJP56

• Members

Hey! You made a post I can understand! :clap:

Too funny!

I suspect that there are going to be some very right wing conservative independent Baptists who are going to read that list and say "Really?" I'm fairly certain anointing with oil is throughout the Scriptures and when they licensed me to the ministry, I got a dab of oil on the forehead. The Psalmists are going to be heart broken that lifting holy hands unto the Lord to praise him would be considered a bad thing as well. Restricting the Holy Spirit from doing something different in a gathering of believers than what the believers had originally planned is, well.........just playing God, wouldn't you think?

As far as guitar.......those old country hymns are going to have to go........."I'll Fly Away," "I've got a mansion," "The old rugged cross"......my goodness..........they all really touch my soul as the guitar carries the words to my ears..............................oh goodness, 75% of Independent Baptist Churches are going to have to change their format.

May I ask what part of the country you are from?

I've been all over the world, been in many IFB churches, preached in many IFB churches, listened to many IFB preachers...........I'll just have to take your word for it that those things make one Charismatic.