• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Know of any cities in need of Baptist church?

• Members

I want to thank everyone for posting concerning the cities that don't have IFB churches in them. I posted this thread to read exactly that, but it seems it got off track. Can we please stay on topic, if anyone wants to read about music in church there are several pages concerning that topic on this webiste or just read Psalm 150. I don't want to sound harsh, but let's get back to the original topic about cities without IFB churches. Thanks

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
I want to thank everyone for posting concerning the cities that don't have IFB churches in them. I posted this thread to read exactly that' date=' but it seems it got off track. Can we please stay on topic, if anyone wants to read about music in church there are several pages concerning that topic on this webiste or just read Psalm 150. I don't want to sound harsh, but let's get back to the original topic about cities without IFB churches. Thanks[/quote']

Sorry for my part in the hijacking of your thread.

• Members

I'm not saying that the smoke and colored lights are a sin. I would think that if the church is putting in colored lights and smoke, their focus is probably on making a good show rather than truly worshiping God. I can't say for sure, but that's what it would indicate to me. The clip that I posted is more along the lines of what I'm thinking. They are truly singing the song to God.

• Members

[quote="trc123"][quote="kevinmiller"][quote="HappyChristian"][quote="kevinmiller"][quote="HappyChristian"][quote="kevinmiller"]Yes, but why can't music with a drum set glorify God if the focus of the music is on worshiping God?[/quote]
Did I say it couldn't? Or give the impression that it can't? (didn't mean to, if I did!) Although, to me, a "drum set" smacks too much of Ringo Starr and the drummers that followed him. I don't really see the necessity of a church having their music area set up like a rock concert. To me, that sets a mood that is more fleshly than spiritual. I've been to many churches that are like that.

We have a kettle drum, and a snare drum (I used the wrong terms in the IFB forum) in our orchestra, and they work well. They add to the beautiful music our orchestra plays - no instruments, unless they are playing a solo, outdo the others - they blend wonderfully.[/quote]
Fair enough. :smile
I agree that church can become to focused on one's feelings and the flesh. Although, that can happen with or without the presence of a drum set. If it is your or anyone else's preference to not have them in church, I can respect that. Because of its past associations, it can be offensive to many people just like the meat was offensive to many Jews.[/quote]

Absolutely!! The presence or absence of a drum does not indicate spirituality of a church. I do think the usage of it does, though! :Green

Let me explain - I don't find it offensive, per se. I'm not going to get derailed in my Christian walk and become bitter if someone uses a drum set in their services. But I have to say - the churches I know of (and here again - it's from personal experience, and others may have had different experience) that have drum sets, set their music areas up to look like rock concert stages - some even going so far as to having the smoke and colored lights, etc. This is pandering to the flesh, and does not promote real worship...as you said in your first statement, it focuses on feelings and flesh. Now, don't get me wrong - feelings are usually stirred in worship, and music is a large part of that. But I think we can all agree that the feelings that fleshly music stirs up are much different than the feelings that spiritual music stirs up! :Green

It is up to each church to make that decision, following the dictates of the Holy Spirit. But, personally, I think it would be the wiser part of valor (discretion, in other words) to avoid the trappings that are obviously linked with the world (i.e. rock music and rock bands...).[/quote]
Hm, if there is smoke or colored lights, I would definitely see that as a problem. Let me show you a clip of what I'm thinking. It's a short clip from my church service's praise time.
[tube]RA8niNFRWhg[/tube]
The guy you hear is my friend next to me. lol[/quote]

Hey, they must be Charismatic....they are speaking in tongues! :thumb[/quote]
:lol:
Yes, but all of those people can understand that tongue. lol

I am in the same situation. Looking for the place that the Lord would have my family and I plant a church. I just goy back from a survey trip from New England, where I keep hearing that there is the need for churches, but I am having trouble doing research and pinpointing an exact place from Texas. Still looking and being patient.