• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Non-<acronym title='King James Version of the Bible'>KJV</acronym> in cards

Anon

Non-KJV Christmas Cards  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about non-<acronym title='King James Version of the Bible'>KJV</acronym> Christmas (or other) Cards?

• Terrible. I'd never give one out under any circumstance. Its offensive.
    • I probably wouldn't give one out, but I wouldn't be offended if I received one.
    • I probably would give it out if the verse was very close to the KJV with no changed meaning, and I did not see a KJV one at the store.
    • I would give it out because its better to have a verse of some sort than a non-religious Christmas card. God can use it.

• Members

I added a poll, hope it worked right. haha. First time I've done it since the updates....

Anyway I want your honest opinions, just out of curiosity.... I will post my vote and explanation after a bit.

• Members

I picked #1 "I'd never give one out under any circumstance.". I would then write in my own KJV verse on a Christmas card that has a winter scene on it. Also, I'm not offended if I do receive a card that is not KJV.

Pretty much my opinion too. I would never send one and while I wouldn't be "offended" to recieve such a card per se, I would be disapointed/slightly irritated by it like I usually am when I hear or see the MV's being used.

• Members

Years back I had bought some cards at the Baptist book store, only when I got home did I realize some were not KJ. I tossed them. I have found it can be difficult to find KJ cards. Seems like the MV’s are taking over. The last cards I got I ordered from the Sword of the Lord.

• Members

Years back I had bought some cards at the Baptist book store, only when I got home did I realize some were not KJ. I tossed them. I have found it can be difficult to find KJ cards. Seems like the MV’s are taking over. The last cards I got I ordered from the Sword of the Lord.

When I can't find KJB cards at the store I order from Sword of the Lord.

• Members

Whew! I'm outnumbered. haha. I'll do better next year....so here's my story...last year I was really good and ordered nice KJV cards online. This year I didn't feel like ordering special cards and wanted to save a little money, so I went to Walmart and bought some really pretty cards. However the verse was NKJV. I read the verse and it was "For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost." Which is identical to the KJV except "is" had been replaced with "has" (some of the replacements they do are so stupid, anyway....) I figured that it was still the same verse, and it was still an amazing one and I liked it and got it. Unfortunately, I was not being thoughtful of the fact I am a pastor's wife and that it would reflect poorly on my KJV-only husband (which I'm KJV-only too of course, duh, but to me, the verse was all but KJV anyway...nothing major had been changed, including the meaning of the verse.) Of course, on Christmas day, I had a church member who has already been disgruntled come up to me and complain about my card. So I did say "I'm sorry that it offended you" and she nodded and walked away.

Looking back, the person is good at finding fault anyhow...but I should not have given the person another reason to find fault. My husband was not at all upset with me, but I will know better next year to just order my cards online to avoid problems.

My husband's KJV philosophy is that the KJV is the Word of God. The other versions "Contain" the Word of God...meaning, we believe somebody can get saved using another version, but that they are corrupted...however God's Word is still partially in them to various degrees. So I thought the card, having the verse SO close to the KJV, would have been fine.

MY BAD. haha. Sigh. Still, I voted the most "liberal" answer since that is what I actually did!

• Members

As an addendum..... What would be the difference between getting a card that had NO verse, but saying "Jesus Christ came down to save you" as a sentiment....or a verse that said "For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost." I mean.... is the only "bad" part the "NKJV" one? I mean, I guess I"m saying.... isn't it better to have a NKJV verse than no verse at all? I guess that was my logic.... the verse was true and it was good and it was thought provoking and better than just having no verse at all...we buy cards all the time with non-Scripture...??? I dunno.

I mean really, it came down to being offended that there was an "N" in front of the "KJV" and a "has" replacing "is". That's it.

I won't make the mistake again, but I still do not really think it was a bad thing....I think it falls under eating meat...it wasn't bad to me, I thought it was excellent to remind people that Jesus Christ came to save the lost at this time of year....but since its offensive to others, I won't do it again.

• Members

We have hardly any Christian bookstores here. All Catholic, with the exception of one tiny hole-in-the-wall store, which we never really go to, because its easier to shop online than try to find anything in that store.

• Members

Salyan, Perhaps you do not live in rural America as I do. I did not order the cards from the Sword of the Lord online. I sent my order in by snail mail & them they shipped them to me. I do not order anything online unless there's no choice.

Suzy, No one is bashing you, its just something we would not do.

I agree, someone could read some of the MV's & understand how to be saved, yet could be mislead on many issues. Besides that, if they are reading out of a MV, & I'm preaching from the old KJ, they could get confused, & I feel sure the devil loves for that to happen.

• Members

As an addendum..... What would be the difference between getting a card that had NO verse, but saying "Jesus Christ came down to save you" as a sentiment....or a verse that said "For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost." I mean.... is the only "bad" part the "NKJV" one? I mean, I guess I"m saying.... isn't it better to have a NKJV verse than no verse at all? I guess that was my logic.... the verse was true and it was good and it was thought provoking and better than just having no verse at all...we buy cards all the time with non-Scripture...??? I dunno.

I mean really, it came down to being offended that there was an "N" in front of the "KJV" and a "has" replacing "is". That's it.

I won't make the mistake again, but I still do not really think it was a bad thing....I think it falls under eating meat...it wasn't bad to me, I thought it was excellent to remind people that Jesus Christ came to save the lost at this time of year....but since its offensive to others, I won't do it again.

Certainly your intentions are right. As you have mentioned, one of the main factors in your situation is you are the wife of a KJO pastor. By sending out Christmas cards with a verse from an MV that could be seen as an endorsement of MVs or at least of the particular MV used in the cards. Some might also see it as a sign you disagree with your husband or you aren't KJO.

As you also pointed out, doing this gave an "enemy" (using that term for lack of better at the moment) an open door to complain.

Like I said, your intentions were good but especially with your specific situation, there is the potential to have cans of worms opened.

As Jerry has said, nothing against you for having done this, and it's been a learning experience so there is some good there.

• Members

Not offended here at all...wouldn't have posted if I couldn't handle hearing what you had to say....anyway, I already got "bashed" at church more than I'd get bashed here on the website. hahaha.

I was just thinking how interesting it is that had the card NOT had ANY verse on it...there would have been no offense...but because it had a verse with one minor word changed and a variation of the KJV, it caused offense. *sigh* hahaha

I've gotten to where I don't care anymore LOL..... I myself feel I should have been more careful in this case, so I will fix it next year....however, I've also figured out that I'm never going to please everybody so I can't constantly be looking over my shoulder...as long as I'm doing right by my husband and by God, I can't keep worrying about everything else I do...