• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Surrendering Your Throne article from Pastor Harrison

• Members

Trusting The Bible On:
?Surrendering your throne?
Faith Baptist Church holds Wednesday night Bible studies for those desiring the meat of God?s word in chapter by chapter Bible study. We?re presently in I Samuel 20. The following article is compiled in small part from one of the multiple things covered in ch 18:1-4. The lesson is ?Surrendering your thrones? to a far greater King. Read I Samuel 18:1-4 King Saul had three sons, with Jonathan next in line to be King after him. In chapter 15 King Saul failed to ?completely? obey the word of God! The result? God ?rejected? him from being King [i Sam 15:23, 26] and sent a preacher ?Samuel? to tell Saul the price of his disobedience. Saul was outraged?and set himself to not only keep the throne anyway, but to put his son Jonathan on it after him. But God had chosen David [i Sam 16:12] to replace Saul when the appointed time came. Saul?s actions had forever cost him and his sons the right to be King and sit on the throne! Just one act, by one man! Condemned himself and his children to shame and suffering. It is Genesis 3 all over again! Adam in Genesis 3 failed to obey God and his rebellion plunged his family (all the way down to me and you) into sin, shame and suffering! Adam plunged into sin, cost his wife & sons their place in the Garden of Eden ( a picture of right standing in God?s sight). King Saul decided to fight God?s will and sought to kill David and put Jonathan on the throne anyway! Today there are millions of ?Saul? - ever struggling against God?s word, always intended to do what they want despite what God said and refusing to surrender the throne of their heart to Jesus! Now lets turn to Jonathan in chapter 18:1-4 and see what we may learn. We might expect Jonathan to be angry to see his hopes of being King ripped from his grasp by his father?s actions?.we might expect Jonathan to look upon David with jealous hatred. But no? just the opposite happened! Jonathan is a God fearing young man and he accepts God?s word and will. When he realizes that David is God?s chosen King and not himself, instead of getting angry he turned his heart fully to accept David as God?s King! Jonathan immediately began to surrender all his own rights to that throne! He hands over to David all the symbols of the throne & royalty: His ?robe?, his ?garments?, his ?sword, bow & girdle?! What an incredible picture & lesson we have here! At once we see ourselves as Jonathan. Our father Adam {like Saul} willfully rejected ?complete? obedience to God [Genesis 3:17-19] and his refusal to obey God plunged all the world into sin & shame & death [Romans 5:12-14]. As a result God has chosen & sent a new King [i Sam 16:1; Romans 5:15] to sit upon the throne in righteousness! Romans Chapter 5 teaches us that Adam was a figure of Christ. Much the same way Jonathan was a figure of us all as sons of Adam and David is the figure of Christ! Let us follow Jonathan?s great example then and surrender ALL our heart, life and soul unto the love of our true King ?the Lord Jesus Christ?. Let the lost man or woman reading this bow down before God and gladly surrender the throne of their heart & life to his precious Son Jesus! (Read Acts 16:1-31, Romans 10 and John chapter 3). You may say ?ahh but pastor, I?ve already given my throne to Jesus?. Wonderful! but let me ask you have you followed Jonathan?s example in surrendering not just the throne but EVERY remaining thing in your life that belongs to the King? Jonathan found it joyous and rewarding to surrender not just his throne but also all the ?things? of Royalty unto his true King David. Christians who are willingly out of church are soon out of the Bible, not reading and not praying. This brings spiritual weakness and eventually the heart grows cold to the things of God ? like an ember removed from the fire?.it soon dies. You as a Christian will only find complete joy of the Christian life by gladly and wholly surrendering to Jesus your time, your faithfulness, your attendance upon the things that need doing at church, honor, prestige, pride, self will, righteousness, heart, mind, love, desire, hopes, dreams, wife or husband, children, families, country, nation, our all to the great King of Kings and Lord of Lords the Lamb of God ? the Only Begotten Son of God Jesus Christ! When you give the ?robe, garments, sword and bow & girdle? of your life to Jesus ? you?ll soon have the joy of salvation! The Life that Jesus paid for us to have and live! Come and let us follow Jonathan?s example in surrendering all to Jesus at Faith Baptist Church ? two blocks South of the hospital ?up on the Hill?! PastorHarrison@tds.net