• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

FREE EBOOK TODAY - 15 Simple Steps to Losing Your Salvation

• Members

It's a possibility eventually, and there's actually a cost efficient way of doing it if there's a demand for it in that format. More and more people are going towards eBooks and abandoning all other formats.

Thanks for asking!

I'm sticking with actual book in hand. Many older folks and those with visual problems and those who drive a lot love audio books.

• Members

I'm sticking with actual book in hand. Many older folks and those with visual problems and those who drive a lot love audio books.

Me too. I don't actually own a Kindle, yet. I prefer paper. If I was a huge fiction reader I'd probably have a Kindle, but I'm not. Most things I just get from the library, I'm cheap!

Paper is mostly popular with non-fiction and reference books. If it's fiction, unless it's really special to the person, most of the time people go eBook on it. With non-fiction, people like to have it on their real bookshelf, highlight it or mark it up, be able to reference it quickly. Although from what I know about Kindle you can do all that with it too. Edited by Rick Schworer

• Administrators

My son has always like audio books. He loves the paper form as well, but now especially, he's on the road all the time, so audio is the only thing that makes real sense. We got him the Bible on cd for Christmas this year, as well as some good music, but I want to get him some books, too. eBooks won't work for him because he can't read while he's driving...

• Members

What about Nook from Barnes and Nobles? I like my e- reader because I have 4 book shelves full of books and no room to add another book shelf. I like my e-reader because I can make print bigger eliminating me from having to wear my glasses. I take my e-reader to church to help a woman in her 90's to see the scriptures and she claims she can see it cause of the light in back of what she is reading. I like my e-reader cause I can have a library of books in my bag and i can still carry them with ease. I also like audio. Don't think I'll ever out grow being read to. That lady in church. I need to visit her at her house this week and read to her cause she asked for me to.

Edited by CauliflowerClown

• Members

My youngest niece (2nd or 3rd grade) got a Kindle Fire for Christmas!!!

Those things look really neat! They can do everything on them!

Wow - she's really young for one of those, I hope Mom and Dad monitor her! :-) Is she much of a reader? Edited by Rick Schworer

• Members

Yeah, those things are about $200. You can get a basic Kindle for $79 now though. I think when they came out they were around $400, and really clunky too.

I still prefer actual books so it will be awhile before I look into a Kindle, unless someone buys me one (not likely!). I did notice the basic Kindles price dropped, but I'm still not interested at this time. The Kindle Fire my sister bought for her youngest daughter was marked as $199. Personally, I wouldn't spend that much on myself for that and certainly not for such a young child.

That said, they do have advantages...somewhat cheaper book prices, free downloads, can be read in the dark, easy to carry no matter how many pages the book you are reading is, etc. Our pastor loves his and hardly reads actual books anymore.

Another big advantage to the Kindle, you don't need shelf space to keep the books when you are finished. That's an issue for me as I'm running out of room to store books. As you've mentioned, people tend to keep good non-fiction books. Also, if a Christian book is really good, I'll often read them again.

So, I love actual books, but a Kindle would be nice, yet I don't see one in my near future.

• Members

If you buy an audio book, does it cost as much as a regular book? And if lost, does it cost money to replace it? Seems they would be easily lost.

I don't believe audio books would be as impressive as books in the book shelf.

One pastor I know, in every book he has when something was wrong he would correct it in the margin. He said doing that anyone that reads my books will not take for granted that I agree with the whole book.

• Moderators

Audio book or ebook? Ebooks have the advantage of being much more portable, and some editions (depends on the reader) you can make marginal notes. I've started collecting a few of them -- especially out-of-print books that I need for Bible Institute! -- but I still prefer paper books. They're much easier to lend to others. ;)

I like your pastor's idea. I'm going to start doing that...

• Members

If you buy an audio book, does it cost as much as a regular book? And if lost, does it cost money to replace it? Seems they would be easily lost.

I don't believe audio books would be as impressive as books in the book shelf.

One pastor I know, in every book he has when something was wrong he would correct it in the margin. He said doing that anyone that reads my books will not take for granted that I agree with the whole book.

That's actually a really good idea, the correcting the book in the margin. I guess I should make my margins bigger. :-)

As far as audio books go, if you have an MP3 player they are an excellent idea. When I worked construction I used to listen to a ton of preaching and teaching with my MP3 player. They're cheap now too, like $20. I haven't ventured into the audio book field, but I'm pretty sure you can buy them on CDs or just download them straight from Amazon onto your computer. From there, you can put them onto your MP3 player.

Salyan, As far as lending goes, you can actually lend Kindle books to other people. They can then read them on thier computer, iPad, Kindle, etc. They have the book for 15 days.

John, an interesting perspective I've been noticing is that more and more people are dropping the term eBook. They're just calling the eBooks books. The idea behind it is that the book is what the story is, and the paper is just the method of getting the story to you. So you'll see someone say, "I sold 100 books last month!" - and that could mean anything. As far as space, you're right - 3,000 books in your pocket is amazing!!! They are a lot cheaper too, at least by half if not more.