• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What is the meaning here?

• Members

Those who claim the sons of God in Genesis 6 are the same type of sons of God in I John 1:12 tend to ignore the sons of God in Job 38.

I already mentioned Job 38 several posts back.
Job 38:7
6Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;
7When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy? There is no definition given in this verse or in the text.

ALL of these DO clearly define what/who a "son of God" is.
Those who received Him and believe on His name ....John 1:12
Those led by the spirit of God....Romans 8:4
We....Blameless and harmless....Philippians 2:15
We who are loved by the Father ...1John 3:1
WE are the sons of God....1John 3:2

• Members

Honest question: do you think there is no coincidence at all that none of those verses are in the Old Testament?

Brother, whoever the sons of God are in Job 38 were, they were in existence before Adam or the Earth was. Therefore there is a definition for them, they are defined in context as being pre-Adamic beings. Adam was the first man, so they are not men.

• Members

What verse in the Bible tells us that the meaning of a word or phrase in the NT means something else entirely in the Old? A 'man' is a 'man' and a 'woman' is a 'woman' in both. So is a horse, a dog, a sheep, a tree, a house, an angel etc.etc. .

What about this?..
Job 4:18 Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly:
Job 1:6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them. Tell me sir, Did the Holy Spirit just play fast and loose with words or do the words in the King James Bible have PRECISE meanings? So why use both "angels" and "sons of God" in the same book if they mean the same thing? Things that are different are not the same. Let's make it simple: The angels in Job 4 were angels. and the sons of God in Job 1:6 were sons of God which are defined as being righteous men...believers.. I've heard preachers say time and time again that those sons of God in Job 1:6 were angels who came before the throne of God in heaven...but do you see the words 'throne' or 'heaven' in the verse, or even in the whole chapter? No, it only says they presented themselves "Before the Lord" Now hold that thought and read this verse: Genesis 18:22 And the men turned their faces from thence, and went toward Sodom: but Abraham stood yet before the LORD.. Where was Abraham standing? In heaven? before a throne? You have to ADD TO the Word of God to make the claim that they went before a throne in Heaven.

Edited by heartstrings

• Members

I have already mentioned the verse twice.Here's the last one again

Job 38:7
6Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;
7When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy? There is no definition given in this verse or in the text.
There is no definition. I do not know, That one has me stumped. I am not ignoring it. I have studied it for hours but I just do not understand it. But I will not just assume or take someone else's word for it. How do "morning stars" :sing? Were they 'angels" too? Do you understand that? I don't. So I'm not going to assume. I just don't know........yet

• Members

Gen 37:9 And he dreamed yet another dream, and told it his brethren, and said, Behold, I have dreamed a dream more; and, behold, the sun and the moon and the eleven stars made obeisance to me.

Here stars are are not simply "stars". The later interpretation of the verse is clearly speaking of the brothers of Joseph.

Jud 1:13 Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever.

Here are some stars that are not planets in the solar system. Can't understand a "star" that wanders and is reserved for a future judgment. Can you?

Rev 1:20 The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches.

Here are some stars that are angels. According to some, they might even be pastors. I don't know about that, but I do know that this verse definitely;y defines stars as angels.

Rev 12:4 And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born.

Many say that these stars are the angels that followed Lucifer in his rebellion. I mean, it makes a lot of sense to me, but it's not enough to get upset about if someone doesn't see it that way.

So, now a small, small step to...

Job 38:4 Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.
Job 38:5 Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?
Job 38:6 Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof ;
Job 38:7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

I separated the semi colon from the verse to emphasize the grammar. When, of verse 7 is connected to the previous statements that deal with the creation, When gives us the actual time frame. When is when God created the earth and his Holy Spirit, in the precise and definite KJB as you say connects the morning stars singing with creation, not salvation. They sang for joy because they lifted up their voices and praised the Lord for his greatness. They are angels. They are the sons of God.

If this isn't talking about creation, I guess I'll never know what it's talking about. Before Adam, before the division of land and sea, before the light was called day. before there was Genesis 1 and 2. Yet there they are. Stars singing. Stars that in several scriptures are equated with living beings and in one verse even clearly defined as being angels.
It's not a whim that makes many folks see the sons of God in Job 38 angelic beings. It's called comparing spiritual things with spiritual things.

God bless,

I

• Members

the 'spirits in prison' were the spirits of those who had died prior to the worldwide flood. The Apostle clearly tells us this.

1 Peter 3:19-20 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Who He preached to - Which were sometimes disobedient
When they were disobedient - when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah.

• Members

I have a problem with the belief that paradise was 'in the heart of the earth.'

Nowhere in the Word of God can we find this phrase. We do, however, find that paradise is in the third heaven.

So where did the belief that paradise was in the heart of the Earth come from? Certainly not the Bible.

• Members

Mat 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

You were saying?

Also I would suggest reading Psalms 63:9 and Jonah 2:2-6 for what I beleive are cross references to this passage.

Edited by Calvary

• Members

Mat 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

You were saying?

Also I would suggest reading Psalms 63:9 and Jonah 2:2-6 for what I beleive are cross references to this passage.
Since when does 'heart of the earth' translate to 'paradise'?

God's Word tells us where paradise is, in the third heaven. Are you saying that the third heaven is in the heart of the earth?

• Members

Since when does 'heart of the earth' translate to 'paradise'?

God's Word tells us where paradise is, in the third heaven. Are you saying that the third heaven is in the heart of the earth?

Luke 23:43And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.
44And it was about the sixth hour, and there was a darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour.
45And the sun was darkened, and the veil of the temple was rent in the midst.
46And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

Jesus' spirit immediate went to his Father, soon to be followed by the repentant malefactor. His body was entombed in the earth, awaiting resurrection.

Paradise is the third heaven - the highest heaven - where God is enthroned above the spiritual wickedness in high [places]. (Gk "heavenly places".)

• Members

the 'spirits in prison' were the spirits of those who had died prior to the worldwide flood. The Apostle clearly tells us this.

1 Peter 3:19-20 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Who He preached to - Which were sometimes disobedient
When they were disobedient - when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah.

Gen. 6 makes it clear that the Spirit of God was then string with MEN. The evil progeny of the union of sons of God with daughters of men were men. The giant gene (nephilim) continued & was seen in Canaan by the spies. (Num. 13:33) David fought with giants. Goliath & others. Men.

The possibility that "sons of God" might be angels in some contexts is not relevant to this discussion. They are men, whose children are men. The mixed marriage of men of the godly line of Seth with ungodly women resulted in a total departure from God. These are the disobedient who rejected Noah's preaching & perished.