Online Baptist Community

Suicide and salvation?

2Tim215

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

Have you told one single lie since you professed to be saved? Even one that you did not think out, just told on the spur of the moment? Has anyone ever asked you how are you and you answered fine even though you knew you were hurting in one way or another?

What SFIC is teaching here is that if a man dies in an unrepentant state that means he was never saved in the first place.

That is no different than the Calvinist teaching of Perseverance of the Saints. Calvinists claim to believe in eternal security, but their form of eternal security, just like SFIC's, goes full circle and on a practical level is absolutely no different than Arminianism.

If you reject Calvinism you should also reject what SFIC is pushing too.

• Members

Suicide is rejection of Christ. God has provided a way of escape from temptation... His only begotten Son Jesus Christ.. The suicide chooses to reject Jesus Christ.

Matthew 10:33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

In committing suicide, one rejects the help of the Lord, testifying to men that the only hope that one has when in hardships, trials or persecution... is murdering ones self.

No witness for Christ is evident in that one that commits suicide. No testimony of God's ability to strengthen man in times of trial.

And that one will be denied before the Father because he or she denied Christ before man. The fruit was corrupt, testifying of a false hope instead of a living hope.

Have you told one single lie since you professed to be saved? Even one that you did not think out, just told on the spur of the moment? Has anyone ever asked you how are you and you answered fine even though you knew you were hurting in one way or another?

I would have to say yes, and I have done so for at least 2 reasons.

1. No one wants to hear how things are going, even though they may ask you that, its usually just a conversation starter.

2. And if I told them actually how bad things were actually going, that just might make their day, & while walking off from me they may say under their breath, "Thank goodness everything is going so bad from him, he is getting just what he deserves."

3. At our church we have two people that you do not want to ask them that question, for every time you do, the unload the whole load. These 2 people are kin, I think complaining runs in their family. So with them I always try and use something else for a conversation started, sometimes I fail.

Now in all fairness, a church family is to support one another, and help fellow church members bear each others burdens. That way we can truly help one another in our walk with Christ. With the stronger ones supporting the weaker ones. Plus, we each have different weakness, & different strengths, & together, with Christ as our Lord, we can be stronger, & that is another reason a church family in important to the child of God.

We could talk about polar bears. I like them, they're very cozy looking and I've heard they drink coca-cola straight from the glass bottle from time to time. I've also heard that they can be scary when they get angry.

Anyone want to talk about polar bears?

• Members

If it were true that suicides went to heaven, I wonder why the Apostles didn't write in their epistles that a believer could commit suicide and go to heaven? Instead they all wrote of enduring hardships and persecution, trials and tribulations... telling the saints to endure them.

The teaching that suicides go to heaven is nowhere supported by Scripture.

Put the polar bears drinking coca cola story and the suicides go to heaven in the same fantasy book and you might be able to sell it.

Ha! You're funny. Nice to see you have a sense of humor. Edited by Rick Schworer

I love how your position has been blown up, dismantled, and destroyed dozens of times and yet you keep sticking to it!

You should change your name to "Stubbornly Standing in My Unbiblical Opinion!"

Suicide should be the FARTHEST thought from the mind of a born again believer.

Suicide is self-murder and the ultimate act of self-centeredness and rebellion against God.

Suicide is SIN.

Suicide does not occur in a vacuum.

Thoughts of suicide begin when a person decides that his/her life isn't worth living, for whatever reason. In other words, it is YOU, not God, who is making the decision about when your life should end.

Psalms 37:23 The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way.

Proverbs 16:9 A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps.

Proverbs 16:25 There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Jeremiah 17:10 I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.

Personally, I have serious doubts about the salvation of "professing" Christians who commit suicide. After a person is dead, there are no "second chances". Also, I do not believe that a person who "professes" faith in Christ will continue "living in the mire of sin". Suicide is not "a way of escape" from trials and tribulations....and there really is no justification for it when we are truly born again of the Spirit of God. As Betsie ten Boom said to her sister Corrie in that concentration camp:

"There is no pit so deep that God's love is not deeper still."...Betsie ten Boom

Edited by LindaR

We could talk about polar bears. I like them, they're very cozy looking and I've heard they drink coca-cola straight from the glass bottle from time to time. I've also heard that they can be scary when they get angry.

Anyone want to talk about polar bears?

When a polar bear is hungry, that's when they're truly scary.

A little kola bear, now they really look cuddly. Or a panda bear! they make you think of a really cute teddy bear.

• Members

I love how your position has been blown up, dismantled, and destroyed dozens of times and yet you keep sticking to it!

You should change your name to "Stubbornly Standing in My Unbiblical Opinion!"
You have yet to prove my belief is unbliblical.

Where is a verse in the Bible where one of the Apostles tells the reader to give in to temptation? Where is that verse that says suicide is not sin? Where is that verse that says suicides will enter God's Kingdom?

Provide those verses, and I will be happy to admit that I am wrong. Until then, I will continue to teach what the Holy Spirit has taught me.

By the way... what did Paul say were the end results of the works of the flesh?
Galatians 5:19-21 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Suicide falls under the definition of murders and also under the subcategory "and such like." And Paul said they which do such WILL NOT inherit the Kingdom of God.

So where is your proof that they will? Does the Bible contradict itself? or do your beliefs contradict the Bible?

I might add Linda, there's many people that cause me to doubt their salvation with the life they live, & partaking of so many ungodly things.

And I feel sure nearly all of us have done things in our lives that's caused fellow Christians do doubt our salvation.

Thankfully we are not in a race for performance based salvation, of course all of us have probably grew up in homes & school that are totally based on performance.

We must remember, our salvation is not based on our righteousness, but on the Saviors righteousness, plus God's mercy & grace.

Round and round we go. See post #172, #175, and #202.

You have yet to prove my belief is unbliblical.

Where is a verse in the Bible where one of the Apostles tells the reader to give in to temptation? Where is that verse that says suicide is not sin? Where is that verse that says suicides will enter God's Kingdom?

Provide those verses, and I will be happy to admit that I am wrong. Until then, I will continue to teach what the Holy Spirit has taught me.

By the way... what did Paul say were the end results of the works of the flesh?
Galatians 5:19-21 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Suicide falls under the definition of murders and also under the subcategory "and such like." And Paul said they which do such WILL NOT inherit the Kingdom of God.

So where is your proof that they will? Does the Bible contradict itself? or do your beliefs contradict the Bible?
Edited by Rick Schworer

• Advanced Member

The Bible says there is only one unforgivable sin, and that is rejection of the Holy Spirit. All other sins are covered by the blood of Christ. To accept teh sacrifice of Christ, we must hear and follow the call of the Holy Spirit to accept Christ. If we reject that call when it comes, then that is the ONLY sin that is unforgivable.

If suicide cannot be forgiven, then neither can lying, cheating, stealing, etc.

The Bible says there is only one unforgivable sin, and that is rejection of the Holy Spirit. All other sins are covered by the blood of Christ. To accept teh sacrifice of Christ, we must hear and follow the call of the Holy Spirit to accept Christ. If we reject that call when it comes, then that is the ONLY sin that is unforgivable.

Amen.

In Standing Firm in His Own Unbiblical Opinion's twisted theology, any sin will damn a person to Hell and no sin is forgivable. How can I accuse him of teaching that? Because any Christian who dies in a backslidden and unrepentant state is automatically assumed to have been lost the whole time in his world.

See post #202 for further details on how he arrives here.

• Members

Suicide is rejection of the leading of the Holy Spirit. Suicide proves one is following another shepherd and not Jesus Christ. Suicide denies Christ.

• Members

Rick,

I'll thank you to stop bearing false witness against me. I also ask that if you are going to refer to me in a post, use it as it is, Standing Firm In Christ, not your mockery of my character.

My beliefs are based on the Word of God. I have posted Scripture that clearly supports my beliefs concerning suicide.

As yet, you have not.