• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Suicide and salvation?

• Members

I have already accepted God's Grace.

What I don't accept is the teaching that one can commit suicide and still enter God's Kingdom when His Word clearly teaches that all, (not some) murderers will have their part in the lake of fire.

God's Word already states who will go to the lake of fire, so it's best to believe His Word
The one that commits suicide practices unbelief.

• Members

C.H. Spurgeon, in his sermon "The Sin of Unbelief" delivered on January 14 1855, wrote:

I will attempt this morning, for a little while, to show the extremely evil nature of the sin of unbelief.
1. First the sin of unbelief will appear to be extremely heinous when we remember thatit is the parent of every other iniquity.

There is no crime which unbelief will not produce. I think that the fall of man was surely a result of the sin of unbelief. It was at this point that the devil tempted Eve. He said to her, “Did God really say, ‘You must not eat from any tree in the garden’?” He whispered and insinuated a doubt, “Did God really say?” as much as to say, “Are you quite sure he said that?” It was by means of unbelief--that thin part of the wedge--that the other sin entered; curiosity and the rest followed; she touched the fruit, and destruction came into this world. Since that time, unbelief has been the prolific parent of all guilt. An unbeliever is capable of the vilest crime that ever was committed. Unbelief, friends! Unbelief! why it hardened the heart of Pharaoh--it has given liberty to many blaspheming tongues--yes, it even became a disciple, and murdered Jesus. Unbelief!--it has sharpened the knife of the suicide; it has mixed many a cup of poison; and many to a shameful grave, who have murdered themselves and rushed with bloody hands before their Creator’s tribunal, because of unbelief.
Give me an unbeliever--let me know that he doubts God’s word--let me know that he distrusts his promise and his threats; and with that for a premise, I will conclude that the man will, in time, unless there is amazing restraining power exerted on him, be guilty of the foulest and blackest crimes. Ah! this is a Beelzebub sin; like Beelzebub, it is the leader of all evil spirits. It is said of Jeroboam that he sinned and caused Israel to sin; and it may be said of unbelief that it not only sins itself, but makes others sin; it is the egg of all crime, the seed of every offence; in fact, everything that is evil and vile lies couched in that one word--unbelief.

I truly believe that Spurgeon hit the nail on the head when he said that unbelief "sharpened the knife of suicide," and that "it is the parent of every other iniquity". It is because of unbelief that one commits suicide. Unbelief that Jesus is the answer to man's problems; unbelief that God has provided a way to escape temptation; unbelief that God promises an eternity in torment to those who are guilty of murder. Suicide is murder, and for those who commit it, God's wrath is imminent. Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

• Members

C.H. Spurgeon, in his sermon "The Sin of Unbelief" delivered on January 14 1855, wrote:

I truly believe that Spurgeon hit the nail on the head when he said that unbelief "sharpened the knife of suicide," and that "it is the parent of every other iniquity". It is because of unbelief that one commits suicide. Unbelief that Jesus is the answer to man's problems; unbelief that God has provided a way to escape temptation; unbelief that God promises an eternity in torment to those who are guilty of murder. Suicide is murder, and for those who commit it, God's wrath is imminent.

Like everything you say and do, it's based on your own opinion. When you quote scripture you quote out of context and twist to your own ends. Likewise, now quoting Spurgeon, you failed to continue with his sermon - shame on you for for pushing a lie, for damning all besides yourself.

The rest of the sermon:

It is said of Jeroboam that he sinned and made Israel to sin; and it may be said of unbelief that it not only sins itself, but makes others sin; it is the egg of all crime, the seed of every offence; in fact everything that is evil and vile lies couched in that one word—unbelief.
indent.gifAnd let me say here, that unbelief in the Christian is of the self-same nature as unbelief in the sinner. It is not the same in its final issue, for it will be pardoned in the Christian; yea it is pardoned: it was laid upon the scapegoat's head of old: it was blotted out and atoned for; but it is of the same sinful nature. In fact, if there can be one sin more heinous than the unbelief of a sinner, it is the unbelief of a saint. For a saint to doubt God's word—for a saint to distrust God after innumerable instances of his love, after ten thousand proofs of his mercy, exceeds everything. In a saint, moreover, unbelief is the root of other sins. When I am perfect in faith, I shall be perfect in everything else; I should always fulfill the precept if I always believed the promise. But it is because my faith is weak, that I sin. Put me in trouble, and if I can fold my arms and say, "Jehovah-Jireh, the Lord will provide," you will not find me using wrong means to escape from it. But let me be in temporal distress and difficulty; if I distrust God, what then? Perhaps I shall steal, or do a dishonest act to get out of the hands of my creditors; or if kept from such a transgression, I may plunge into excess to drown my anxieties. Once take away faith, the reins are broken; and who can ride an unbroken steed without rein or bridle? Like the chariot of the sun, with Phaeton for its driver, such should we be without faith. Unbelief is the mother of vice; it is the parent of sin; and, therefore, I say it is a pestilent evil—a master sin.

The link to the full sermon for those who wish to read it and make sure I have not misquoted.

http://www.spurgeon.org/sermons/0003.htm

• Members

I did not post the whole sermon because it is too long.

And I did not twist anything. I posted the two paragraphs in their totatity.

But even so, I agree with the two paragraphs that I posted. And Spurgeon was wrong in saying it will be pardoned in the Christian, for the Christian will never commit suicide. If one proclaiming to be a Christian commits suicide, it prove he was not a Christian after all. He only professed and never possessed. Had the Holy Spirit been in him, he would have heard the voice of the Savior and repented of such a thought. Christ's sheep hear His voice and they follow Him.

• Members

Suicide is a result of unbelief that is harbored in the heart. When one commits suicide, he is proving he has not the nature of Christ dwelling in him. For, had he the nature of Christ, no doubt he would not have committed suicide. Rather, he would have trusted God for strength in trials, for steadfastness in temptations, for stamina in testing.

He would not have killed himself.

Suicide is an act of rebellion and rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft.

Isaiah 30:1 Woe to the rebellious children, saith the LORD, that take counsel, but not of me; and that cover with a covering, but not of my spirit, that they may add sin to sin:

The suicidal person does not hear God's counsel. Their suicide is covering sin with sin. In their act, they prove their lost estate.

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

• Members

Have you told one single lie since you professed to be saved? Even one that you did not think out, just told on the spur of the moment? Has anyone ever asked you how are you and you answered fine even though you knew you were hurting in one way or another?

• Members

What SFIC is teaching here is that if a man dies in an unrepentant state that means he was never saved in the first place.

That is no different than the Calvinist teaching of Perseverance of the Saints. Calvinists claim to believe in eternal security, but their form of eternal security, just like SFIC's, goes full circle and on a practical level is absolutely no different than Arminianism.

If you reject Calvinism you should also reject what SFIC is pushing too.

• Members

Suicide is rejection of Christ. God has provided a way of escape from temptation... His only begotten Son Jesus Christ.. The suicide chooses to reject Jesus Christ.

Matthew 10:33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

In committing suicide, one rejects the help of the Lord, testifying to men that the only hope that one has when in hardships, trials or persecution... is murdering ones self.

No witness for Christ is evident in that one that commits suicide. No testimony of God's ability to strengthen man in times of trial.

And that one will be denied before the Father because he or she denied Christ before man. The fruit was corrupt, testifying of a false hope instead of a living hope.

• Members

Have you told one single lie since you professed to be saved? Even one that you did not think out, just told on the spur of the moment? Has anyone ever asked you how are you and you answered fine even though you knew you were hurting in one way or another?

I would have to say yes, and I have done so for at least 2 reasons.

1. No one wants to hear how things are going, even though they may ask you that, its usually just a conversation starter.

2. And if I told them actually how bad things were actually going, that just might make their day, & while walking off from me they may say under their breath, "Thank goodness everything is going so bad from him, he is getting just what he deserves."

3. At our church we have two people that you do not want to ask them that question, for every time you do, the unload the whole load. These 2 people are kin, I think complaining runs in their family. So with them I always try and use something else for a conversation started, sometimes I fail.

Now in all fairness, a church family is to support one another, and help fellow church members bear each others burdens. That way we can truly help one another in our walk with Christ. With the stronger ones supporting the weaker ones. Plus, we each have different weakness, & different strengths, & together, with Christ as our Lord, we can be stronger, & that is another reason a church family in important to the child of God.

• Members

If it were true that suicides went to heaven, I wonder why the Apostles didn't write in their epistles that a believer could commit suicide and go to heaven? Instead they all wrote of enduring hardships and persecution, trials and tribulations... telling the saints to endure them.

The teaching that suicides go to heaven is nowhere supported by Scripture.