• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Calvinism on the March

• Members

I hope you're not accusing me of taking the Lord's name in vain becuase I said "holy cow."

Not in the slightest, was trying to imply the the futility and painfully childish self righteousness of getting upset because you said it. The things people will pick on sometimes leaves me astonished. I think that there are far more important things to be "offended" over, but then, you did cause offense and you did apologize so - my apologies if you misunderstood me.

• Members

Not in the slightest, was trying to imply the the futility and painfully childish self righteousness of getting upset because you said it. The things people will pick on sometimes leaves me astonished. I think that there are far more important things to be "offended" over, but then, you did cause offense and you did apologize so - my apologies if you misunderstood me.

Not a good idea calling the Lord childish because He clearly tells us in His Word there are certain things reserved for Him and He has much to say about the words we use, the content of our speech and the attitude of our heart which accompanies such.

There are some who say we don't have to keep things holy separate unto God just as there are some who say Christians can use certain cuss words (or all of them) or that "tame" or "Christian" cussing is okay, while some say there is no problem using euphemisims for God, that which is holy, cuss words, etc. Yet the Word of God is clear that none of that is acceptable in His eyes. Christians are called to a far higher standard and perhaps amazingly, many lost folks understand this better than many professing Christians and they are quick to note when our words and coversation don't match what God says.

• Members

Not a good idea calling the Lord childish because He clearly tells us in His Word there are certain things reserved for Him and He has much to say about the words we use, the content of our speech and the attitude of our heart which accompanies such.

There are some who say we don't have to keep things holy separate unto God just as there are some who say Christians can use certain cuss words (or all of them) or that "tame" or "Christian" cussing is okay, while some say there is no problem using euphemisims for God, that which is holy, cuss words, etc. Yet the Word of God is clear that none of that is acceptable in His eyes. Christians are called to a far higher standard and perhaps amazingly, many lost folks understand this better than many professing Christians and they are quick to note when our words and coversation don't match what God says.

Was not implying that the Lord is childish, but then again, He did say we must be as little children. And maybe one day, after I am raptured and in my new perfect body I will be able to live this perfect life of sinless perfection and self righteous "Holiness" I keep on seeing on this site from particular people, but right now, in this body that is lost to sin, I just take each day as it comes and I don't try and pretend to be perfect, or holy or all wise just because it's a forum and no one can see how I actually live. I am a sinner saved by grace and nothing more.

• Members

I'm sorry you fail to see the value in abiding by Scripture. No one that I've noticed here pretends to be perfect but there are several who take the command to be holy for God is holy seriously. We are to aim for the high mark the Lord has set before us even though we can never attain it in this lifetime.

Using your flawed reasoning, Christians could live as they please since they can't be perfect anyway.

No, it's not about "self-righteousness", it's about believing the Word of God and through the power of the Holy Ghost, living in accord with the Word.

If a person is a "sinner saved by grace" they are much more than just that, they are adopted children of God, ambassadors of Christ, etc., and are called to live accordingly.

• Members

And maybe one day, after I am raptured and in my new perfect body I will be able to live this perfect life of sinless perfection and self righteous "Holiness" I keep on seeing on this site from particular people, but right now, in this body that is lost to sin, I just take each day as it comes and I don't try and pretend to be perfect, or holy or all wise just because it's a forum and no one can see how I actually live. I am a sinner saved by grace and nothing more.

Just curious, how do you differentiate between someone offering correction that lines up with scripture and someone pretending to be "perfect or holy or all wise"? Much of the time it is simply a matter of perspective. We all do well to listen to what the book of proverbs says about reproof even though receiving reproof is hard and the first and fleshly reaction of most or all of us is probably to push back and argue for that very reason... Edited by Seth-Doty

• Members

I'm sorry you fail to see the value in abiding by Scripture. No one that I've noticed here pretends to be perfect but there are several who take the command to be holy for God is holy seriously. We are to aim for the high mark the Lord has set before us even though we can never attain it in this lifetime.

Using your flawed reasoning, Christians could live as they please since they can't be perfect anyway.

No, it's not about "self-righteousness", it's about believing the Word of God and through the power of the Holy Ghost, living in accord with the Word.

If a person is a "sinner saved by grace" they are much more than just that, they are adopted children of God, ambassadors of Christ, etc., and are called to live accordingly.

I do not "fail to see the value in abiding by Scripture" - I do however agree that we must AIM for that high mark, but you seem to (in all your posts that I have so far read) try to portray through your comments a lifestyle of perfection. This is impossible as we AIM for that mark and I quote you now - "even though we can never attain it in this lifetime" So why in your replies or comments to me in this thread and others do you "pretend" to be perfect when you yourself maintain it's impossible?
I do not condone a christian "living as they please" and have never condoned it - I do however categorically state that a saved person can live in a state of perpetual sin and still be saved.
And yes it is self righteousness if it's not the truth. Do you sin? If you like the rest of us do, then you do not always live, and I quote you again - "believing the Word of God and through the power of the Holy Ghost, living in accord with the Word" and though we may be called "to live accordingly", we don't always do, do we?

Just curious, how do you differentiate between someone offering correction that lines up with scripture and someone pretending to be "perfect or holy or all wise"? Much of the time it is simply a matter of perspective. We all do well to listen to what the book of proverbs says about reproof even though receiving reproof is hard and the first and fleshly reaction of most or all of us is probably to push back and argue for that very reason...

Seth, read the above to John. I do not have a problem receiving nor taking reproof, advice nor correction when it is in line with the Word, and yes, John in his correction was in line with the Word, yet his manner is not always and neither is his assumptions concerning myself or my doctrine. In this and other posts he continues to maintain that I condone believers living in sin. That I am "unsaved" or was "never saved in the first place" - these are assumptions on his part and his "corrections" purvey these assumptions. I have never condoned believers living in sin but will always emphatically state that no man has the right to judge a man unsaved if he claims Jesus Christ as his savior, only God does. Nor can any man judge a man unsaved if he happens to be living in sin for however long a period of time. So whose perspective is right?

• Members

Again, no one here has said they are perfect or that striving to abide by the Word makes one perfect. Trying to help others live in accord with the Word does not imply perfection on their part or self-righteousness. I once posted a common saying here and one of my brothers here pointed out to me that saying was improper. This was something I had never heard of before. In fact, I knew many Christians who used that saying. I pointed that out to my brother and he let me know the origin of the saying and how it was not in accord with Scripture. Such correction on his part was not a matter of him being self-righteous nor did I take offense or think he must consider himself to be perfect because he addressed the issue.

Learning and repenting leads to growth in Christ and I'm thankful for all who have helped and continue to help me and other brothers/sisters in Christ in this.

• Members

Again, no one here has said they are perfect or that striving to abide by the Word makes one perfect.(good to know, I was beginning to get worried that I was the only sinning believer on this forum) :clapping:Trying to help others live in accord with the Word does not imply perfection on their part or self-righteousness.(I agree, though sometimes some come across that way) I once posted a common saying here and one of my brothers here pointed out to me that saying was improper. This was something I had never heard of before. In fact, I knew many Christians who used that saying. I pointed that out to my brother and he let me know the origin of the saying and how it was not in accord with Scripture. Such correction on his part was not a matter of him being self-righteous nor did I take offense or think he must consider himself to be perfect because he addressed the issue.(I am not in the least offended - been around IFB's far too long to easily get offended)

Learning and repenting leads to growth in Christ and I'm thankful for all who have helped and continue to help me and other brothers/sisters in Christ in this. (Amen - agree 100%) - are we friends now? Or do we still get to bash each other around a bit :knuppel:
Edited by 2Tim215

• Members

I'm glad we seem to have a measure of understanding here. It can be easy to read too much into a post since we don't have tone, body language and such to help. For this reason I try to be clear, though it's not always easy, and especially so with folks unfamiliar with ones postings and life. To make it simple, if I ever think I'm perfect, I'll announce it in bold letters :icon_smile: then I'm sure to get some direct responses! :eye:

• 8 years later...