• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Calvinism on the March

• Members

Actually I don't think it's a light matter for us to refer to a cow as holy, which is something that has been and continues to be a major sin in false god worship.

Ok.

Well, then, I apologize for using a colloquialism that is not meant to be taken literally!

Would this be acceptable: "Wow guys, this is really boring! I don't think anyone has gained a theological inch in the 238 posts that have been slapped up here, this thread is as dead as last year's Christmas tree!" :)

• Members

Ok.

Well, then, I apologize for using a colloquialism that is not meant to be taken literally!

Would this be acceptable: "Wow guys, this is really boring! I don't think anyone has gained a theological inch in the 238 posts that have been slapped up here, this thread is as dead as last year's Christmas tree!" :)

That sounds much better!

• Members

Would this be an acceptable response: "Oh no, not another control freak. Why not simply stop visiting the thread rather than presuming to tell others who still want to discuss that it's boring and 'dead'?"

• Members

Would this be an acceptable response: "Oh no, not another control freak. Why not simply stop visiting the thread rather than presuming to tell others who still want to discuss that it's boring and 'dead'?"

No, no no.... that's a boring way to respond. You should say something like this:

"Yeah, Rick, it is getting a little dry around here, maybe I'll liven things up a bit with some popcord and milk and cookies!"

(They usually make everything better!)

:popcorn: :th_eatingcookies:

• Moderators

You know, I once worked with a Muslim (cultural, maybe?) who commonly took God's name in vain and said 'holy cow.' I used to get on his case for swearing God's name; didn't like the second either but was picking my battles, you know? Right before I left that job, he asked me why I hadn't objected to the 'holy cow.' Evidently, he thought that I should have taken offense to both - since in my view, cows weren't holy. He was quite right. Interesting what other religionists think about Christians...

• Members

No, no no.... that's a boring way to respond. You should say something like this:

"Yeah, Rick, it is getting a little dry around here, maybe I'll liven things up a bit with some popcord and milk and cookies!"

(They usually make everything better!)

:popcorn::th_eatingcookies:

They are no good for diabetics - all that nasty carb.

• Members

The boring factor is the lack of proper engagement, & the resultant proliferation of "standard" refutations of "Calvinism."

"I heard the Gospel, & responded in repentance & faith. It was a free choice, therefore Calvinism is wrong."

The truth is that the Holy Spirit moves in our hearts, giving us spiritual life so that we willingly respond. Our will has been changed from rejection to welcoming the Gospel.

Eph. 2:
And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;

Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of dis
ob
edience:

Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as
ot
hers.

But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,

Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ,

The Lord changed me from a self righteous church-goer to a saved sinner, trusting Jesus. I left the Church of England & have been with Reformed baptist churches for over 50 years.

• Members

You know, I once worked with a Muslim (cultural, maybe?) who commonly took God's name in vain and said 'holy cow.' I used to get on his case for swearing God's name; didn't like the second either but was picking my battles, you know? Right before I left that job, he asked me why I hadn't objected to the 'holy cow.' Evidently, he thought that I should have taken offense to both - since in my view, cows weren't holy. He was quite right. Interesting what other religionists think about Christians...

Only is you were a Hindu should you get offended at "holy cow".

• Members

My usual response to someone who uses the Lord's name in vain is - "careful, He's listening, and might just here you calling him" or "SAVES!" So here's my response: "Holy Cow!" - Steak!! and "Jesus!!" - SAVES!!!

Edited by 2Tim215

• Members

What would be best, if you do something that offends someone, don't do it around them any more, & surely don't mock them.

Mt 5:37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

An actually anything more than , "Yea, yea; Nay, nay," is evil.

So the use of slang words, and the defending of them, is not the least bit cute, for it cometh of evil.

Edited by Jerry80871852

• Members

My usual response to someone who uses the Lord's name in vain is - "careful, He's listening, and might just here you calling him" or "SAVES!" So here's my response: "Holy Cow!" - Steak!! and "Jesus!!" - SAVES!!!

I hope you're not accusing me of taking the Lord's name in vain becuase I said "holy cow."

• Members

I hope you're not accusing me of taking the Lord's name in vain becuase I said "holy cow."

Exo. 34:4 And he received them at their hand, and fashioned it with a graving tool, after he had made it a molten calf: and they said, These be thy gods, O Israel, which brought thee up out of the land of Egypt.
5 And when Aaron saw it, he built an altar before it; and Aaron made proclamation, and said, To morrow is a feast to the LORD.
6 And they rose up early on the morrow, and offered burnt offerings, and brought peace offerings; and the people sat down to eat and to drink, and rose up to play.

But why was there no punishment for Aaron?