• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What does the Bible teach about the children?

• Members

According to Scripture, children of unbelievers are deemed to be unclean. (1 Cor. 7:14)

Scripture is clear that nothing that is unclean or defiles will enter heaven.

It appears that infants of the unsaved who die are unclean and therefore will not enter heaven.

Which brings me back to the passage I brought up earlier about the infants of wicked Samaria being dashed to pieces. Why were they dashed to pieces? Because they were unclean, the product of unbelief.

• Members

According to Scripture, children of unbelievers are deemed to be unclean. (1 Cor. 7:14)

I think your missing the meaning of that passage. It is saying that if the believing spouse did not sanctify the unbelieving spouse God basically would not recognize the marriage as valid and the children born to such a marriage would be as illegitimate in God's sight as if born out of wedlock, not that the children are automatically saved or unsaved based on the status of the parents.

Scripture is clear that nothing that is unclean or defiles will enter heaven.

It appears that infants of the unsaved who die are unclean and therefore will not enter heaven.

Which brings me back to the passage I brought up earlier about the infants of wicked Samaria being dashed to pieces. Why were they dashed to pieces? Because they were unclean, the product of unbelief.

I think your opinion is contrary to the revealed character of God. Why would God send someone to suffer in hell for eternity if they were not capable of CHOOSING to reject the truth? I suppose he could do that and be "just" but justice is not the only aspect of his character. The Lord is also gracious, full of compassion; slow to anger, and of great mercy. God does not want some people to go to hell, he very much does NOT want anyone to go to hell. The only reason anyone does is because they are stiff necked and willfully reject the truth of God. I don't think anyone will be in hell that could honestly say God didn't give them an opportunity to come to the light.

"Genesis 18:25 That be far from thee to do after this manner, to slay the righteous with the wicked: and that the righteous should be as the wicked, that be far from thee: Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?"

"Deuteronomy 24:16 The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin."

Also there are verses like this:

"Ezekiel 16:20-21 Moreover thou hast taken thy sons and thy daughters, whom thou hast borne unto me, and these hast thou sacrificed unto them to be devoured. Is this of thy whoredoms a small matter, That thou hast slain my children, and delivered them to cause them to pass through the fire for them?"

These people that were sacrificing their children unto idols were undoubtedly unbelievers yet God calls their children HIS children...

• Members

Interesting verse, that Deuteronomy 24:16 ... the children shall not be put to death for the sins of the fathers. Yet infants were dashed to pieces by God's decree. So, if the children are not put to death for their father's sins, those that were dashed to pieces must have suffered that judgment for their own sins. It is clear that even the Samarian infants were guilty of sin, else they would not have been dashed to pieces.

By the way, 1 Corinthians 7's passage is not referring to children born out of wedlock. Try again.

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

• Members

What about "No man cometh to the Father, but by Me"?

It doesn't take an educated man to trust Christ, only faith.

We are best off to stand upon just what the Word of God says and not to speculate upon those areas where the Word is not specific. Deuteronomy 29:29 was given to us for a reason. God never meant for us to know all things at this time. Some things He has determined to keep to Himself. We are to obey what He has revealed to us and faithfully trust Him in all things, including those things He hasn't revealed to us.

• Members

We are best off to stand upon just what the Word of God says and not to speculate upon those areas where the Word is not specific. Deuteronomy 29:29 was given to us for a reason. God never meant for us to know all things at this time. Some things He has determined to keep to Himself. We are to obey what He has revealed to us and faithfully trust Him in all things, including those things He hasn't revealed to us.

Amen! Let's trust God to be holy, righteous, and just and leave leave this to Him.

God bless,
Larry

• Members

I do not and I am sure none of us believe in infant baptism. I put this quote here to suggest what may be the state of children who are not blessed by being born to non-christian or unsaved parents. I do not agree with what is quoted below.

From from Schaff's History of the Church:
"The limbus puerorum or infantum is the abode of children dying in infancy without having been baptized. They are there for original sin which only baptism can wash away. According to Thomas Aquinas, this region is probably a little lower than the limbus patrum. These children are free from pain, but are like the lost in being deprived of the vision of God and physical light. Theirs is the punishment of eternal death, - supplicium mortis aeternae, - but their damnation is the lightest of all - omnium levissima. They have no hope of beatitude. God, in His justice, provides that they never make any advance nor go back, that they neither have joy nor grief. They remain forever unchanged. Such is the hopeless doom to which the great Dominican and the great Franciscan theologians of the Middle Ages consigned all children dying unbaptized. Strange that the Schoolmen, in the interest of a more merciful doctrine, did not use Christ's blessed words, "Suffer the little children to come unto me for of such is the kingdom of God" (Matt 19:14). But they did not. The doctrine of original sin and the doctrine of the necessity of water baptism for salvation were carried to their extreme logical conclusions without regard for the superabounding grace of God. So also Augustine had taught and so most of the Reformers taught at a later time."

I will not believe that infants are cast into hell and I do not think that effects my salvation in any way, so why should I entertain such horrible imaginings. We are called to go to the ends of the earth if necessary to spread the gospel to all who will listen. If we tell the unsaved that our god sends infants to hell, those people are not going to listen to us about anything. Just my thoughts.

God bless,
Larry

Edited by pilgrim1938

• Members

has anyone considered Noah's ark (Actually, God's ark)?

Some think this is picture of the rapture, and God's children being "delivered out" of the wrath to come.
If this is true, did infants die in the flood? We know that there were only eight people mentioned as being on the ark, where were the children, and all unbelievers were let behind; where were the children?

• Members

I still have to look at the Samarian infants who were 'dashed to pieces' by decree of the LORD God.

Since He had already stated that children would not be put to death for the sins of their fathers,

But he slew not their children, but did as it is written in the law in the book of Moses, where the LORD commanded, saying, The fathers shall not die for the children, neither shall the children die for the fathers, but every man shall die for his own sin. (2Ch 25:4)

Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up. (Ho 13:16)

If children are not put to death for the sins of their fathers, then why were the Samarian infants put to death? They had to have sinned themselves... somehow, someway.

Now, why would God, in His fierce and righteous anger, decree that infants who would go to heaven be dashed to pieces? Makes no sense.

I do not see these infants in heaven at all. Edited by Standing Firm In Christ