• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What does the Bible teach about the children?

• Members

I researched some details about children according to the Scriptures. I was little confused about 2 sides debating on children.

The Question: Will ALL children go to Heaven? For example, 8 or 12 years old boy will go to Heaven after he dies.

Group 1

Some people believe ALL children will go to Heaven after they die. No question about accepting Jesus as their personal Savior.

Group 2

Some people believe ALL children start to understand about lies, stealing, fighting so these are sins. They need to accept Jesus as their pwersonal Savior.

Both groups believe infants will go to Heaven.

Please discuss on both groups so that will help me see what the Bible teaches.

Thanks!

• Members

2Sa 12:14 Howbeit, because by this deed thou hast given great occasion to the enemies of the LORD to blaspheme, the child also that is born unto thee shall surely die.
2Sa 12:15 ¶ And Nathan departed unto his house. And the LORD struck the child that Uriah's wife bare unto David, and it was very sick.
2Sa 12:16 David therefore besought God for the child; and David fasted, and went in, and lay all night upon the earth.
2Sa 12:17 And the elders of his house arose, and went to him, to raise him up from the earth: but he would not, neither did he eat bread with them.
2Sa 12:18 And it came to pass on the seventh day, that the child died. And the servants of David feared to tell him that the child was dead: for they said, Behold, while the child was yet alive, we spake unto him, and he would not hearken unto our voice: how will he then vex himself, if we tell him that the child is dead?
2Sa 12:19 But when David saw that his servants whispered, David perceived that the child was dead: therefore David said unto his servants, Is the child dead? And they said, He is dead.
2Sa 12:20 Then David arose from the earth, and washed, and anointed himself, and changed his apparel, and came into the house of the LORD, and worshipped: then he came to his own house; and when he required, they set bread before him, and he did eat.
2Sa 12:21 Then said his servants unto him, What thing is this that thou hast done? thou didst fast and weep for the child, while it was alive; but when the child was dead, thou didst rise and eat bread.
2Sa 12:22 And he said, While the child was yet alive, I fasted and wept: for I said, Who can tell whether GOD will be gracious to me, that the child may live?

There be some that believe that if a child is baptized before death that will secure them a spot in heaven, however that is not taught in the Bible.

David, prior to his child dying David sough God on this matter, fasted & prayed.

When the child died they feared telling David, thought he could not stand such news. notice what David did.

2Sa 12:23 But now he is dead, wherefore should I fast? can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me.

From that I gather children will be taken care of, because they do not have the ability to make a choice to accept Jesus as Savior, & of course baptizing has never saved on single soul.

Some claim what David does not prove the child went to heaven, I believe it does.

I feel sure others will have some input on this subject.

• Members

Paul made it clear that sin is not imputed where there is no knowledge of it. Therefore infants go to heaven. When the age of accountability begins probably varies from individual to individual. With the loss of innocence occuring at younger and younger ages through mass media and sex education at young ages the age of accountability may be dropping.

• Members

Well said Gentlemen! King David met his son in heaven. Only the Lord knows the age of accountability for each child, and those accountable need a Savior just like the rest of us.

2Sa 12:23 But now he is dead, wherefore should I fast? can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me.

Paul made it clear that sin is not imputed where there is no knowledge of it. Therefore infants go to heaven. When the age of accountability begins probably varies from individual to individual. With the loss of innocence occuring at younger and younger ages through mass media and sex education at young ages the age of accountability may be dropping.

• Members

What interval of age is for children to go to Heaven without accepting Jesus as their personal Savior? I do not talk about infants or retarded children, nor baptizing the chldren. See my first post on Group 1.

Jerry80871852 quoted

they do not havethe ability to make a choice to accept Jesus as Savior

Can they go to heaven if they do not accept Jesus as their personal Savior? Edited by AVDeaf

• Members

What interval of age is for children to go to Heaven without accepting Jesus as their personal Savior? I do not talk about infants or retarded children, nor baptizing the chldren. See my first post on Group 1.

Jerry80871852 quoted

Can they go to heaven if they do not accept Jesus as their personal Savior?

Scripture is not specific on such matters. We are told that if we are capable of turning to God or away from God, then we are accountable for that. For each child the age they can truly do that may differ. Some children comprehend and are saved, or reject Christ, at an early age, while for some others they don't fully grasp it until they are older.

However God deals with any of us, we can rest assured it will be right and just.

• Members

Do infants who die before trusting Christ go to heaven?

Hmmmm....

Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up. (Ho 13:16)

In God's judgment above, He declared that the infants would be 'dashed into pieces.'

Why dash the infants to pieces if they are innocent? Makes one wonder.

Are infants capable of trusting Christ? I believe it is possible... if they are brought up in the right environment; i.e., Church, godly home, etc..

Psalm 22 has an interesting statement:

But thou art he that took me out of the womb: thou didst make me hope when I was upon my mother's breasts. (Ps 22:9)

I am not totally convinced that infants who die all go to heaven. I believe there is evidence that they too, like us, have an opportunity to trust Christ and be saved.

• Members

Do infants who die before trusting Christ go to heaven?

Hmmmm....

Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up. (Ho 13:16)

In God's judgment above, He declared that the infants would be 'dashed into pieces.'

Why dash the infants to pieces if they are innocent? Makes one wonder.

Are infants capable of trusting Christ? I believe it is possible... if they are brought up in the right environment; i.e., Church, godly home, etc..

Psalm 22 has an interesting statement:

But thou art he that took me out of the womb: thou didst make me hope when I was upon my mother's breasts. (Ps 22:9)

I am not totally convinced that infants who die all go to heaven. I believe there is evidence that they too, like us, have an opportunity to trust Christ and be saved.

So you think hell is populated with babies?

• Members

That doesn't read like an eternal judgement, it says nothing of what will become of them after death. Seems to me to be a judgement for the here and now.

• Members

That doesn't read like an eternal judgement, it says nothing of what will become of them after death. Seems to me to be a judgement for the here and now.

True. Scripture does not give us details regarding where all children who die without being born again will spend eternity. This is one of the many areas where we should simply trust that whatever God does, it will be right and just.