• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Keyboard problem

Invicta

• Members

My daughter has given me her old netbook. On her log in the keyboard is OK, having a UK layout, on my login I have what I think is a US layout and I don't get a pound sign and symbols such as the @ sign are in the wrong place.

Does anyone know how to change it?

• Members

Well, it's not ideal but you could go to the "Start" menu then hit "Run" and type in charmap and select "OK". That will bring up a box with a bunch of characters you can copy and paste into whatever document or message you want.

£
®

Σ

• Members

Thanks, but what I wanted was to get my netbook to print the symbols marked on the keys, I am sure there is a simple setting in windows that will restore it, but I don't know what it is. You can also use ALT plus a number on your numeric keypad, for example:

Alt +

129 ü
130 é
131 â
142 Ä

171 ½
172 ¼

Also if you want an acute accent you can use ALT GR plus the letter, ALT GR + e = é ALT GR + a + á

there is also another set of characters if you use ALT plus a figure beginning with 0, e.g. ALT 0153 = ™

• Members

You should be able to do it by going into your Control Panel under the Start Menu. I don't know what version of Windows you're using so I can't direct you straight to it after that, but there should be a place to change your keyboard settings inside of your Control Panel.

If you're running Windows 7/Vista then it should be under Clock, Language, Region.

If it's an older version of Windows then it should be under the Keyboard icon.

Hope that helps!

• Members

Yes, I know of those as well but I'm unsure you can get the pounds sterling symbol if you have a US keyboard with a dollar sign. Also, I thought you said laptop so I didn't think there was a numeric keyboard.

Yes I have a laptop with a numeric keypad, as well as the netbook which hasn't.

Thanks all, I have solved the problem it is in Control Panel, Regional Settings and Languages. I had to remove the US keyboard then it was OK Edited by Invicta