• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why do old people?

Invicta

• Members

Why do old people say they don't need an hearing aid, when they obviously do? And why do they always sit at the back?

A lady in her 90s said at church on Sunday, that she could never hear the sermon. I said if she had a hearing aid she would hear on the loop system. She replied that she did not need and aid, and that she could hear her TV. I asked how loud she had the volume? She replied that she could hear people in her home. I said she could move forward and sit near the loud speakers, but she replied that she was comfortable there.

At a previous church we attended, a couple of deaf old ladies sat at the back on a row of seats against the rear wall. There was a gap between the next row, and I asked why they sat right at the back when they couldn't hear? They replied that the always sat there. When I asked "WHY?" They said when they had children the space in front of them was for their prams.

But that was more than 50 years earlier and it seems they had occupied the same seats all that time.

• Members

Some old people don't realize their hearing is as bad as it is. Part of this is due to those around them most often speaking louder (because they know they have to) and they can turn their TVs and radios louder so they can hear them.

For some, there is a measure of pride that just doesn't want to admit they need a hearing aid.

I can relate to what you say about some sitting in the same seats no matter what. It's kind of a running joke at our church that folks have their own self-assigned seats. The day I joined this church (three others joined that day too) our pastor even joked that we must all be ready for membership since each of us had already selected our assigned seats. My family and I have sat in the same pew since we first attended this church. The only time we have ever sat anywhere else is during some of the special events that have been held in the sanctuary. There are actually a few old ladies at our church who will let someone know if they have sat in "their" seats!

• Members

Some old people don't realize their hearing is as bad as it is. Part of this is due to those around them most often speaking louder (because they know they have to) and they can turn their TVs and radios louder so they can hear them.

I once visited my doctor and said "Are you going deaf, doctor?" He answered "Why.?" I said "You are shouting at me." to wwhich he replied, "I have just had an extremely deaf patient who won't wear an aid, and I forgot to lower my volume after he left."

• Members

Why do old people say they don't need an hearing aid, when they obviously do?

You don't always know you have a hearing problem. My hearing was severely damaged after twenty years of spending night after night in front of loud amplifiers and speakers. I got so used to people repeating themselves for me and reading their lips and facial expressions, that I honestly didn't know I had a problem until an incident occurred that made me realize I was almost deaf.

Fortunately for me, my problem was relatively simple to repair and now I hear as well or better than I did when I was young.

But sometimes, you just don't realize that you can't hear.

• Members

You don't always know you have a hearing problem. My hearing was severely damaged after twenty years of spending night after night in front of loud amplifiers and speakers. I got so used to people repeating themselves for me and reading their lips and facial expressions, that I honestly didn't know I had a problem until an incident occurred that made me realize I was almost deaf.

Fortunately for me, my problem was relatively simple to repair and now I hear as well or better than I did when I was young.

But sometimes, you just don't realize that you can't hear.

When I was younger I used to have problems with wax building up in my ears which would greatly reduce my hearing. However, it happened so slowly that most often I didn't even notice. It wouldn't be until a doctor happened to look in my ear during an exam it would be discovered. After they flushed the wax out I was always amazed at just how much more I could hear.

• Members

A few times people in the back have said they had a hard time hearing me when I am preaching. Of course, the front 10 rows were empty, probably because that is where the sinners sit. :biggrin:

Every once in awhile our pastor will ask if people thinks he spits as he preaches because of how often the front few pews are left empty, even if much of the rest of the church is full.

• Members

I'm a front rower, and I like sitting in the front row, no distractions and no option of doing anything else but paying attention. The Pastor can see everything you are doing and it's a deterent to getting side tracked. I find my kids listen to the message more because the Pastor is often using them for a demonstration or something. I highly recommend the front row.

• Members

We sit just a couple or few rows behind the first row. Typically, considering the other rows in front of us are left empty, the row we sit in is in effect generally either the first or second row.

I don't like the front row because it strains my neck to look up that much and my wife has arthritis in her neck and can't do that.

I don't care for the back of the church either, too far away and I don't care for the middle, too crowded. Towards the front but not so close I need to crane my neck to see the pastor, is where I like to be.

• Members

The million dollar question.

Why do people always set in the front of the bus, but at the rear of the church?

I set where I'm comfortable, or should I say where Linda & I are comfortable.

I've set at the back, at the front, & everywhere in between & I have never felt uncomfortable if someone shows us & happens to set in my place.

Sometime back I attended a funeral at a church I use to be a member of & set in the seat I moved to after the pastors wife kept stirring up distraction that distracted Linda & I setting on the back row.

Afterwards I made the comment to a lady that was attending this church at that time who set by me, about this is where I use to set. She said, "Yes, I remember, you & Linda did set here, now the pastors wife does."

She is the one I spoke of that was letting her grandson play with a friction car. He set it down on the church pew, pushing it froward real fast, making all kinds of noise, but not as much noise as the preachers wife when he held the little car with the wheels going 90 + MPH up to her hair, with her hair catching on the wheels of the car quickly pulling the car to he scalp real fast pulling her hair quite hard, with her letting out a very loud scream that seemed to come from the depths of hell.

Setting there watching it from the back row I could not help but laugh, neither could my wife, & of course everyone in the church was looking her way to see what had come about. I had to contain myself to keep from laughing out loud. The very next Sunday Linda & I moved to the pew I spoke of earlier to keep her from distracting us. It helped us very much!