• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Those who can't understand the KJB

• Members

We've probably all encountered those who simply claim the KJB is too hard to understand either because they've heard that said by others or because they just don't want to try. Those sorts are not the ones I'm talking about here.

Question 1: What about those who, due most often to exceedingly poor public school education, really can't understand the KJB? Some not only can't understand the KJB, they can't even hardly read parts of it. It's not just the KJB either, I've come across some who can't grasp some other translations either. I know of one person I tried to help and they couldn't grasp the KJB, nor the NKJV or NASB and could only partly grasp the NIV with my help. They have a high school diploma but their reading skills and reading comprehension is very low.

How do you disciple, mentor or help those like this?

Question 2: What about those with learning disabilities who can't read or understand the KJB, or sometimes hardly any other translation? They typically can't grasp the reading of such either. How best do we disciple these people, help them learn the Word and grow in the Lord?

• Members

We've probably all encountered those who simply claim the KJB is too hard to understand either because they've heard that said by others or because they just don't want to try. Those sorts are not the ones I'm talking about here.

Question 1: What about those who, due most often to exceedingly poor public school education, really can't understand the KJB? Some not only can't understand the KJB, they can't even hardly read parts of it. It's not just the KJB either, I've come across some who can't grasp some other translations either. I know of one person I tried to help and they couldn't grasp the KJB, nor the NKJV or NASB and could only partly grasp the NIV with my help. They have a high school diploma but their reading skills and reading comprehension is very low.

Question 2: What about those with learning disabilities who can't read or understand the KJB, or sometimes hardly any other translation? They typically can't grasp the reading of such either. How best do we disciple these people, help them learn the Word and grow in the Lord?

If someone can't understand the bible due to not being properly educated as you describe I would just try to explain to them the meaning of the words they did not understand or if they failed to grasp the meaning of the passage all together I would try to explain it in different words until they hopefully understood the meaning. I would not attempt to use other versions as not only do they have doctrinal issues more often than not they tend to be harder to read due to the sentence structure. If their difficulty was due primarily to not being able to read very well I would recommend getting a good audio bible and playing the passage they intended to read prior to reading it so they would know pretty much what was being said which makes reading a little easier.

• Members

If someone can't understand the bible due to not being properly educated as you describe I would just try to explain to them the meaning of the words they did not understand or if they failed to grasp the meaning of the passage all together I would try to explain it in different words until they hopefully understood the meaning. I would not attempt to use other versions as not only do they have doctrinal issues more often than not they tend to be harder to read due to the sentence structure. If their difficulty was due primarily to not being able to read very well I would recommend getting a good audio bible and playing the passage they intended to read prior to reading it so they would know pretty much what was being said which makes reading a little easier.

They can't understand the reading of the Word either. These are people with very low reading and reading comprehension skills. They have to struggle to read a magazine or newspaper article, which tend to be written at a rather low level.

I (or we) can't be with people forever, there is often only a limited time we can disciple them. How can we disciple them and help them to grow in the Lord on their own when they can't understand the Word.

With regards to the one who tried several versions, they were simply desperate to be able to read the Word for themselves so they chose to try different versions hoping if they could find one they could actually read and understand, it might help them to eventually read and understand the KJB. As I said, that didn't work.

It's difficult to have someone who so wants to read and learn the Word themselves yet they are unable. I can see the look in their eyes pleading for help but what to do when they can't read and understand themselves and they can't comprehend it when it's read to them. I can explain a verse or passage and they might understand what I say but they are still unable to actually read it and put it together themselves.

Working with children who are learning is one thing, but working with adults like this who either can't learn or their learning ability is no severely limited, is a real challenge.

Thank you for your input.

• Members

If a person is having this much trouble reading and there is no handicap preventing them from learning to read they need to learn. Lack of reading ability will hinder a person's life in all areas, spiritual being the biggest area. It's a shame that the education system can allow someone to graduate high school yet have very little reading ability. It is essential they learn to read.

• Members

Yes, like Matthew says, if someones reading and comprehension skills are so low they have difficulty reading and understanding magazine or newspaper articles they need to work on learning to read a little better if at all possible. If for some reason that isn't possible might be a good idea to get them to work on memorization of passages they do understand. Even my downs syndrome sister can memorize simple scriptures with enough work though she cannot really read very much of anything.

• Members

An elderly man that I had known all my life died just a few years back. He could not read but he could quote more Scriptures than most people that could read. He said he learned them from hearing them quoted & or read as he attend church throughout the years.

As for not understanding the KJ Bible, what good is it to pick up a modern translation learning from it when so much of it is wrong? They would be better to stick to the KJ, Them at least they have the opportunity to learn from a Bible that is accurate. Of course I know there be many that claims it makes no difference what Bible a person reads & learns from.

• Members

Thank you for the replies. So perhaps for some people it may not be necessary to be able to read and comprehend the Bible on their own if we (or others) can help them to memorize some verses/passages and explain those passages to them until they have that memorized too? That could be a very long process for some, but if they had someone to help, perhaps several people where possible, I can see how over time that could be of great benefit.

With regards to those who have learning disabilities, such as those with Downs Syndrome, etc., we have had a few with learning disabilities in our church, even partaking of AWANA, and they have been able to memorize some verses (not as many as other children) and they were joyful at this and encouraged to continue.

Does everyone, or most here, agree then that if a person is unable to read and comprehend the KJB they should still stick with the KJB while receiving help to memorize specific verses/passages that can be explained to them so they can memorize the meaning of the verses/passages too...and not be concerned about not being able to read the whole Bible?

• Members

I had a man in my church in Michigan who could not read at all. He purchased an audio version of the Bible and listened to it every day.

Yes, I believe that's a good option for those who simply can't read. It doesn't seem to work as well for those with comprehension problems.

I do have CD, mp3 and even DVD Bibles now that I can share and use to help others with.

• Members

Due to an unfortunate set of circumstances in his childhood (born 1914), my father couldn't read or write his name. I don't remember him ever quoting a verse of scripture. When God called him home, I have no doubt that he's waiting for me in heaven. His faith was strong. He could talk about the Bible and the Lord using general terms just as we'd use them to discuss secular subjects. He learned by listening. Listening while in church. Listening to the radio back when Baptist preachers preached from the KJV. Listening and asking questions of those he trusted (led by the Holy Spirit, I'm sure, in who to trust) from the people around him.

I agree that listening to the Bible on CD is a good option. After completing about 2/3'rd of the Bible, listening & reading along to Alexander Scourby I wish my father could have heard him. Even though he wouldn't have been able to read while listening, I'm sure with each hearing of the verses, his depth of understanding would have grown. Just as it's helping me and I've read the Bible from cover to cover.

Additionally, there's something about hearing passages like the 23rd Psalm and other similar ones over and over again that go well beyond comprehension that's being discussed here. That is when heard from the KJV.

My suggestion is that where possible, determine the approximate school grade level of reading and comprehension. Then, work with that person as if he or she were in a Sunday School class for that age group. Whether you use printed materials for that age group depends on the situation. However, using them for your own reference, in tailoring words that are unstandable for the person being taught.

In closing and back to the CD's for a moment. IMHO, it would be a good way for many to learn verses, regardless of the comprehension age of the person. Tiny children learn to sing songs by singing along to recordings of them. Repeating the 23rd Psalm (again as the example) and "singing" along with Alexander should make memorizing them easier.

Hope these thoughts are helpful.

Lee

• Members

Due to an unfortunate set of circumstances in his childhood (born 1914), my father couldn't read or write his name. I don't remember him ever quoting a verse of scripture. When God called him home, I have no doubt that he's waiting for me in heaven. His faith was strong. He could talk about the Bible and the Lord using general terms just as we'd use them to discuss secular subjects. He learned by listening. Listening while in church. Listening to the radio back when Baptist preachers preached from the KJV. Listening and asking questions of those he trusted (led by the Holy Spirit, I'm sure, in who to trust) from the people around him.

I agree that listening to the Bible on CD is a good option. After completing about 2/3'rd of the Bible, listening & reading along to Alexander Scourby I wish my father could have heard him. Even though he wouldn't have been able to read while listening, I'm sure with each hearing of the verses, his depth of understanding would have grown. Just as it's helping me and I've read the Bible from cover to cover.

Additionally, there's something about hearing passages like the 23rd Psalm and other similar ones over and over again that go well beyond comprehension that's being discussed here. That is when heard from the KJV.

My suggestion is that where possible, determine the approximate school grade level of reading and comprehension. Then, work with that person as if he or she were in a Sunday School class for that age group. Whether you use printed materials for that age group depends on the situation. However, using them for your own reference, in tailoring words that are unstandable for the person being taught.

In closing and back to the CD's for a moment. IMHO, it would be a good way for many to learn verses, regardless of the comprehension age of the person. Tiny children learn to sing songs by singing along to recordings of them. Repeating the 23rd Psalm (again as the example) and "singing" along with Alexander should make memorizing them easier.

Lee

Thank you, those are some very good ideas and the story of your dad is uplifting.

I had never thought about the idea of using Sunday school material that's based upon their reading/understanding age level as a resource. That sounds like such could be a very useful tool.

I absolutely agree with you there is something special, and needful, about hearing the Word. Even Scripture tells us that faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. It seems in this age of so much visual stimulation that many lose that. I know of folks who have tried to listen to a ballgame on the radio but couldn't understand what was going on because they were so used to always watching the game on TV.

Great post, thank you!

• Members

Lee

Lee, I'm thankful that I can read, for I admit, I'm not good at memorizing. If I had been like you father I would have had to speak in the same terms that he did.

I'm thankful to our Lord that it is not about how much Bible knowledge we have, how many Scriptures we can quote, wheather we can read or write, that its all about how we use what Bible knowledge we have, even if it just a little bit. I have known several people that had very much Bible knowledge, sad to say many of them did not use it, & or used it improperly.

Its amazing how much a person can learn though the years attending Bible classes & preaching services at a good church. The man I spoke of that could not read yet could quote many verses was saved at about 30 years of age. Yet it seems from that time on he was rather faithful to his Lord & the church he attended, for many of those years he served as a deacon. I might add, many nights his wife would set in thier home reading the Bible to him.

• Moderators

My brother had a hard time learning to read as a child. While he was still struggling a lot, Mom & Dad began having us do family devotions with each of us going around the circle reading through a chapter of the KJV. His reading skills advanced rapidly, and my parents are convinced that using the KJV helped him read more quickly than any other system they were trying!

• Members

My brother had a hard time learning to read as a child. While he was still struggling a lot, Mom & Dad began having us do family devotions with each of us going around the circle reading through a chapter of the KJV. His reading skills advanced rapidly, and my parents are convinced that using the KJV helped him read more quickly than any other system they were trying!

I do believe the KJB is great to use in teaching children to read.

• Members

Just like I did (and I never graduated from high school). Through reading it over and over with a dictionary in hand. After each time you read it the style of writing becomes easier to grasp. Edited by Wilchbla