• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What if Worship was like an NBA game?

• Members

Wherever do you suppose that fellow got that lime green shirt??? AND WHY WAS HE WEARING IT WITH A PURPLE JACKET??? That hurt my eyes.

The big SBC church I used to attend was actually a little like this, it was quite a big media production with big screens placed throughout the sanctuary, an orchestra (!!!), etc. etc.

Of course, now they are in the process of building their $100+ million "worship center" so who knows what it will look like when they get done. They still owe something like $60 million on the previous worship center.

I do wish that people got as excited about worshipping our Creator as they do about professional athletics. I hear people talking so often about sporting events, their favorite teams and players, but you rarely hear them talk about God. It saddens me.

Edited by Miss Linda

• Members

Wherever do you suppose that fellow got that lime green shirt??? AND WHY WAS HE WEARING IT WITH A PURPLE JACKET??? That hurt my eyes.

The big SBC church I used to attend was actually a little like this, it was quite a big media production with big screens placed throughout the sanctuary, an orchestra (!!!), etc. etc.

Of course, now they are in the process of building their $100+ million "worship center" so who knows what it will look like when they get done. They still owe something like $60 million on the previous worship center.

I do wish that people got as excited about worshipping our Creator as they do about professional athletics. I hear people talking so often about sporting events, their favorite teams and players, but you rarely hear them talk about God. It saddens me.

Miss Linda, So True!

I've know many men thought my life that love sports, talk sports in most every conversation they have, it just depends on what is in season which one they take about. Plus, they are not shy about speaking about their favorite team.

I don't understand them, for most of them when they're in church they claim to love God, but yet most of them never utter a word about God or Jesus in the church. There is a major problem with such men, they're only shy when Jesus' name comes up. For a soon as they get out of the church building they're having a conversation about their favorite team with whosoever will listen to them.

• Members

Miss Linda, So True!

I've know many men thought my life that love sports, talk sports in most every conversation they have, it just depends on what is in season which one they take about. Plus, they are not shy about speaking about their favorite team.

I don't understand them, for most of them when they're in church they claim to love God, but yet most of them never utter a word about God or Jesus in the church. There is a major problem with such men, they're only shy when Jesus' name comes up. For a soon as they get out of the church building they're having a conversation about their favorite team with whosoever will listen to them.

There is also a growing number of women like this today!

Our pastor was talking about Scripture memorization and told of how many men say they just can't memorize Scripture. Then he said he would ask these men about their favorite sports team (baseball, football, etc.) and the men could tell him all sorts of stats, tell them about games played years or decades ago, and all sorts of information. Then our pastor asked them if they could remember all that, why couldn't they remember Scripture? :o Of course then came the next point, that it was what mattered most to these men that was first in their mind and heart. If they gave as much time and attention to the Bible as they do sports, they could know the Word, but they choose sports over Scripture, which means putting sports ahead of God, which means sports is their idol!