• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Where do we draw the line for IFB?

• Members

I do not recall where it is in the Old Testament, yet there is some scriptures referring to schooling or studying in the Old Testament that some use to build the doctrine that pastors must have Bible degrees to be a pastor of a New Testament Church. I heard it spoken on one time by the president of a Baptist seminary. He did not come right out & say the pastor must have a degree, yet in a round about way he spoke it seemed to be his belief.

2 Kings 22:14

• Members

You know, this whole suggestion about the KJV being only 'primarily' translated from the KJV and partially translated from the corrupt manuscripts (Sinai, Vatican) is really bothering me. Because if the KJV was translated at all from the corrupt stream, it would be unreliable. To say such a thing really seems to cast doubt on our having any reliable translation in English at all! The KJV is reliable because it is based on the TR - end of story.

There's no partial translation from those manuscripts. There are a few Latin manuscripts that were in existence around the first century, and others from Byzantine that were reliable, but in which the corrupt manuscripts borrowed from. Thus when KJV critics attack the KJV they accuse them of using LXX or A, B manuscripts simply because the corrupt text had a similar reading as one in the KJV.

And to limit inspiration to the originals I believe is equally erroneous. Why make the distinction? Making the distinction gives the impression that original documents were/are more accurate and reliable than future translations and the NT itself contained numerous translations that Jesus and the apostles quoted from. In Revelation 1, John wrote 7 letters to the seven churches in Asia, which one was the "inspired original"? We can't say "ALL scripture is given by inspiration of God" and then claim that inspiration was limited to the "originals" which don't exist. Either inspiration includes what we have now, or we don't have the words of God that He said will never pass away.

If inspiration did not include future writings, then explain how inspiration would apply to Revelation since Paul's comment in 2 Timothy 3:16 was written before Revelation.

:hijacked: sorry, pet peave of mine when I hear "only in the original" comments.

:11backtotopic:

Edited by Dr James Ach

• Members

Dr James Ach, what does your last 3 post have to do with the topic, Where do we draw the line for IFB?

And why take a quote form a post I made in another topic & post it here when it has not one single thing to do with the topic at hand?

• Members

Dr James Ach, what does your last 3 post have to do with the topic, Where do we draw the line for IFB?

andAnd why take a quote form a post I made in another topic & post it here when it has not one single thing to do with the topic at hand?

Are you drinking again? Paul said use a LITTLE wine for thy stomach's sake, you must have several ulcers :)

One response was to thread #49 by Salyan.and within that was a response to several others discussing the KJV issue. Even Bro Matt commented on that issue in post #59 WHICH YOU LIKED.

My response quoting 2 Kings was in fact in this thread (I have no idea why you asked "why take a quote from a post I made in another topic" when it is post #73 in THIS THREAD. It was answering where the "college" was in the OT)

And finally, on post #65, you started out admitting that your comment was off topic.

SO to sum this up:

* You asked about a conversation I had out of context when everyone else had the same conversation and you even liked some of the comments on it, but when I do it I get the 3rd degree.

* You erroneously stated that I quoted a post you made and I showed you that it in fact is on this thread.

* You rake me over the coals for answering a question that you asked about schools in the OT

* Then you ask me what my posts have to do with the topic when you had one of your own threads that begin by saying "I know this may be off topic".

Lay of the liquor and monitor the Nyquil a little bit.

And PS, I haven't said much about the topic because several other people have written some fantastic ideas and really nothing I can improve on, so it was my turn to be quiet.

Edited by Dr James Ach

• Members

And is what Bro. Matt means in the very 1st post.

"I think that this board is IFB and therefore those who are not, should be limited. There is a board that i used to belong to that would allow non-baptists to join, but you could only post in a couple forums. I don't post there anymore as they have gone very liberal 

Where to draw the line of who post on this forum. 

• Members

James - opening comment is unnecessary and a little unkind.

It's called humor, it wasn't meant to be serious. But I'm a little sick of getting fired on about petty stuff. Good night I posted a single Bible verse as a post and can't even do that without Jerry's big mouth. He gets away with slandering anyone he doesn't agree with and then turns around and tells others they are not acting Christ-like. 

I would simply block him but he was more than one account on here so I have no idea how many other accounts he may have.

• Members

Oh snapple drink, I forgot to respond to the statement about my post not being directly related to the OP (even though I thought I explained it already) so here goes again; I'll be more specific this time:

Just because I went to law school and Bible college doesn't mean that there are not equally intelligent people on here, I do not need to have the preeminence and validate my "credentials" by offering 20,000 posts on every subject on the forum. I have visited homeless shelters and prisons with people that have read the Bible their entire lives that know it probably just as well if not better than I do. Sometimes I simply like to "listen" and see what someone else has to say.

That being said, there were several people here that posted very good ideas and I did not feel that I could offer anything different nor improve upon what had already  been mentioned, and frankly, their ideas were simply better than mine. Therefore I posted responses to the things I could answer.

So excuse me if I failed to wash my hands before I ate, and I'll try not to eat meat in your presence anymore.

Edited by Dr James Ach

• Members

I have noticed that any subject we all agree on causes little discussion. I post on 4 sites. Two of them disagree on many subjects such as pre tribulation rapture. The more they argue the more I can explain. They make sure that I am very clear. There are understandings on prophecy that God told Daniel we would not understand till the end so there is still prophecy to learn.

• Members

This topic needs reconsidering for people posting. Maybe only IFB church members only can post. If others have questions we already have the Questions forum or area for asking an IFB any question.

What about people, such as myself, who attend independent conservative KJV-only Baptist churches that don't necessarily advertise themselves as IFB? My views are very much in line with the fundamentals of the IFB churches and my pastor graduated from an IFB Bible college and says he is unapologetic standing for the fundamentals of the faith, but the church is not, specifically, IFB. There are a lot of people who attend churches that are independent, conservative, Bible preaching, and fundamentalist that don't specify themselves as an IFB church. Or they don't have one near where they live, so they attend the next best church.

• Members

After reading your posts so far you sound like a better Christian than me and they let me be on here.

I like your screen name by the way, sounds sincerely self-descript.

Thank you for the kind reassurance. I'm afraid I'm far from a great Christian. God nudges me back toward the straight and narrow every minute of every day. Many days I still feel like the newborn baby Christian 1 Peter 2:2 describes. I'm slowly cutting my "teeth on the meat", so to speak.

As far as my screen name is concerned, being a joyful helpmeet was not something that I came by naturally. I was unsaved, Pagan, and a radical feminist when I married my husband. The Holy Spirit got a hold of me and convicted me about being a helpmeet, being modest, and being a content keeper at home very quickly after I accepted Christ. 

• Members

You have a powerful testimony there also. I think they will all welcome you here no doubt. I think the problems that brought this whole thread about are more in the line of non-believer trolls that keep popping up.

• Members

What about people, such as myself, who attend independent conservative KJV-only Baptist churches that don't necessarily advertise themselves as IFB? My views are very much in line with the fundamentals of the IFB churches and my pastor graduated from an IFB Bible college and says he is unapologetic standing for the fundamentals of the faith, but the church is not, specifically, IFB. There are a lot of people who attend churches that are independent, conservative, Bible preaching, and fundamentalist that don't specify themselves as an IFB church. Or they don't have one near where they live, so they attend the next best church.

Could fundamental be substitute for the word I underlined & mean the same thing, I mean close to the same thing?

independent conservative KJV-only Baptist church

independent fundamental  KJV-only Baptist church