Online Baptist

Where do we draw the line for IFB?

• Administrators

I would like for this to be a civil discussion. The problem is that an IFB can mean many sort of things. For example, this website is and mostly IFB, but some say we are too IFB while other state we are not IFB enough. Where in your mind should Online Baptist/We draw the line for IFB?

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think non-IFB should be allowed to view just about everything though that way maybe they can get some knowledge on where they are wrong. I was basically forced into an IFB church because I didn't

Saylan, Thank you for reinterating the position of OLB on the King James issue. I personnally appreciate it very much and commend you for your stand. Old Fashioned Preacher, that was hilarious! I stil

I think one aspect of being IFB that needs to be clear is whether or not the persons allow scripture to change their lives. I know that even amongst IFB there is disagreement on things like pants on

To go right back to the OP of this thread: In the first part, the general board is and should be open to anyone who doesn't cause trouble. But this section, by its very title should be restr

That is an area where I suspect we would all agree. Not only is it not a "necessary" qualification going to the "greek" is a frequently abused practice. If done carefully and properly it is no proble

​We must each be like the Bereans and search the Scriptures to know the truth. No teacher/preacher is perfect (neither are we) so we must be diligent to get in the Word, stay in the Word, and be in mu

If you preserve something that is corrupt, then what you just preserved is corrupt also.

​Those who have studied the matter know the translators of the KJB consulted and compared the previous translations (Geneva, Bishops, Great, etc.) and there are stats and charts which show how much ea

I admit, at times, to seriously considering dropping the IFB title, due to the poor name it has been given by some, preachers that are legalists, abusive and rule with an iron fist-I suspect most of u

Something roughly like this? Doctrine of God: We believe in only one holy, righteous, just, perfect, merciful, gracious, long suffering, omnipotent, omniscient, God who is abundant in mercy and trut

Good points. I was saved for several years before God sent a solid Christian friend into my life and he took me to his Baptist church and introduced me to his very good pastor. That's when I finally g

Alan,   I think that we deal with the trolls very well. I say let them come, there is always the chance that they will see some validity in the IFB stand for truth. After all, how can we stand for the

Sometimes, when I read through the various threads on topics I am amazed at what I read.  For instance, the question of what is an IFB church, the thread began with some very interesting and straight

I think that is Bro. Matt's intent on this question. I have no problem with non IFB coming, but they should be limited to what they are able to comment on. My thought is just the Lounge.

Just a note, sissy - no degrees are mentioned per se in relation to Paul, Peter, etc. - but Paul was an exceptionally well educated man, speaking many languages and having sat at the feet of Gamaliel.

First United Holy Christian Congregational Assembly of Latter Day BaptiPresbyMetholic Adventists, Inc.

Thank you for the kind reassurance. I'm afraid I'm far from a great Christian. God nudges me back toward the straight and narrow every minute of every day. Many days I still feel like the newborn baby

In regards to "Ruckmanism", I have never met anybody or read anybody who states the AV was "re-inspired". Ruckman himself does not teach that the Bible somehow lost inspiration and then was reinspired

Ruckmanism is not my friend to put it mildly. It is heresy. I put it in the same category as Calvinism and numerous other destructive false doctrines. The doctrinal statement for the IFB board was spe

Good points. There is the danger of some who are clearly of the more liberal sort wrongly influencing others and of giving the wrong impression to those who visit or lurk.

I have my disagreements about several of things Ruckman teaches, but giving the man the benefit of the doubt, this is an issue I have corresponded with him about as well as spoke with him personally a

​Well said but, I caution, not so much that it becomes monotonous and forms into an agenda.  

I wouldn't consider one IFB if they are fans of Billy Graham, Rick Warren and the Willow Creek gang. I also believe they should believe in a literal Genesis, the Bible being the final authority and t

There is another forum that I applied to and gained access to except my computer wont let me, but before they let you join you have to fill out a very detailed questionaire. At the time I thought it w

We're all Independent Churches and Christians. Start using the UCB to describe yourself and encourage your church to uses it. (No one can or is going to stop you) Then see if other churches and people

Until I joined this message board I had never even heard of the F part of IFB. I, and any other Independent Baptists I fellow shipped with simply described ourselves as Independent Baptists, I always

Can we draw the line with one gospel for jew and gentile? 

I never will forget finding this board. I was fresh off having stopped posting on a Baptist board that had been invaded by 3 Catholics. They proceeded to tell us Baptist that we were 100% wrong. I had

This might be a bit off topic, but I would like to mention this. There are some of our fellow Baptist brothers & sister, along with some of the educated pastors, & many churches that has the n

I agree. HappyChristian mentioned something that gets under my skin, it happened lately on the subject of Calvinism. Or at least it sure did seem that way to me. That is one person seemed to start a

Exactly, John. What does it matter whether you say it was preserved or inspired when at the end of the day there is no difference and believing one way or the other doesn't effect a person's faith in

Lo! A poet resides amongst us!

You are exactly right although from what I've heard he is a very kind and gracious man in person. I've have written him on a few occasions and received a response each time and he has been very kind t

Do you consider it 'a lot of fruit' when people avoid any reference to or association with a man because of his reputation for unScriptural harshness and crudeness?

Could you provide them? Your claim that he believes the Bible lost inspiration still remains unsubstantiated. Nobody does have the originals today. We can either attempt to hazard a guess at what th

It appears that you both agree that the KJV is the inspired Word of God.  Why argue over what some other person said?   Right now we have many Calvinist and other heretics infecting this forum with

"foundational" baptist If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do? Psalm 11:3

Once again, this simply is not his or my position. You have yet to substantiate these claims but keep repeating them over and over. Yes I do identify as a Ruckmanite in order to remove it as a pejorit

No problem, its forgotten.

That's not going to happen, Genevan...

​Sadly, there are many IFB's teaching a form of Replacement Theology that don't even realize that they are. I'm not speaking in terms of Israel being replaced by the Church, the Bible clearly makes di

We also have to acknowledge the difference between a true troll, one who joins a forum for the sole intent of causing trouble, and those who join a forum with good intent but happen to have some diffe

I think it was NoNicolaitans that wrote something in the past about even IFB's teach a form of Replacement Theology. So many do, and don't realize they do.  When it is pointed out that they do, the

We have a defender of the KJB here, tho he hasn't posted here in some time, BrandPlucked, and he sometimes compares what other translations/verses say with what the KJB says. Properly done, there is n

Brother, I don't believe people have a correct understanding of what "inspiration" means. They equate it with "revelation" when they are not the same. So if you say that the KJV translators were inspi

Could you please provide documented evidence showing that Dr. Ruckman teaches that the Bible lost inspiration and was therefore reinspired in 1611?

Again, you are reading what David Cloud has to say about him. I've read Ruckman's books himself and David Cloud, like he has done with many other believers, is lying. No where is Cloud's quote does it

The "unknown" in this case was added for clarity in our english language. Try to read the passage with the word "unknown" left out and see if it can make logical sense that way. It doesn't. This

I concur!

Maybe first off the line should be IFB...if they do not designate themselves to be IFB then the denial is at the very beginning...whether lounge or any other part of the site what is doctrinally belie

Deb, I won't speak for Bro. Matt, but I came here years ago for the fellowship and the opportunity to discuss scriptural issues. Iron sharpeneth iron. If I can't defend my position amongst fellow be

I suppose the moderators/administrator could develop a statement of faith that spelled out some of the non-negotiable doctrinal positions of the board leadership much like a church would have. It coul

Yes, please see PastorJ's post and re-read what I said. I don't think they should be allowed to post, only view certain areas. Of course, I have no issues with completely closing certain forums as w

Jerry, We will just have to disagree on that one. I don't have a problem with people viewing the truth. I just don't want them spewing it on these boards.

If ya'll decide to do this you should first determine what constitutes an Independent Fundamental Baptist. At least if that is the qualification to be a member or being allowed to post. For an example

There will be a statement similar to the one the Seth posted. If you agree to that, then you are in. It basically is going to be a general IFB statement, I'm not going to get into the minute details o

Good posting, Seth. I think the misunderstanding comes in with misunderstanding the definitions of the words. Preservation is exactly that: preserving of something that already exists. God promise

Turns out you had good insight into this problem/discussion we had. I stand corrected.

Sort of like "narcissism" on steroids.. Theory*: Could this be the driving force behind Calvinism? Men have always tried to make their god in their own image.......... Romans 1: 21Because that, w

I was led to the KJB by the Holy Ghost. Since God directed me to put aside other translations and read the KJB that's what I did and what I continue to do. All the other issues and aspects, which I di

Job Opening! (hint hint for anyone that lives in that area)

The KJB is the Word of God.

After reading your posts so far you sound like a better Christian than me and they let me be on here.   I like your screen name by the way, sounds sincerely self-descript.

Could fundamental be substitute for the word I underlined & mean the same thing, I mean close to the same thing?    independent conservative KJV-only Baptist church  independent fundamental  KJ

Jimhelpmeet, Your husband must be a real man to have married a radical feminist. HA. People willing to take a strong stand before becoming a Christian should be strong warriors for Jesus after conver

I think that would make a lot of sense. Our church is over a hundred years old and has been  KJV-only, conservative, completely autonomous church all these years. We support about six missionaries, an

Wow, back in 1968, having first met in 67, while in the Air Force while home for Thanksgiving, & seeing each other only a very few times, if Linda saw the real me them, would she have said yes mar

I would suggest you look at his teachings more carefully. He teaches that the word of God in the original greek and hebrew was/is corrupted & or lost, that the KJV translators were inspired, that

It's just an argument over semantics IMO. If I believe the KJV is the inspired word of God then why is it wrong for me to say that it is so?   Brother, you are way off on this. Perhaps you should l

Right on. 

Brother, you are still dead wrong on this. I have a sneaking suspicion that you have never read his material yourself. You are either quoting his words second hand or you are nit picking quotes from h

Seth told you in a way where to find it, he stated its in Mr. Ruckman's own writing. You can search the net, & you can even go to his very own web site, & find out the truth about this man. An

I have read the majority of Ruckman's (quite voluminous) writings and never once have I seen him say that the Bible lost inspiration. I have a pretty good grasp on Dr. Ruckman's teachings and beliefs.

The AV text is scripture and is therefore given by inspiration. ALL SCRIPTURE is given by inspiration. The verse is certainly not referring to original manuscripts only. It does not follow that Ruc

Jerry, you really don't need to jump in this. I realize you think of yourself as the school marm in this form that has to keep the chicks in line but read Ruckman's books on the KJV issue and I know w

Once again we must consider how much of baptist doctrine can be done away with before one can no longer be called a baptist. Independent is one thing, nut to recognise say, a cat, that creature m

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

I wouldn't consider one IFB if they are fans of Billy Graham, Rick Warren and the Willow Creek gang. I also believe they should believe in a literal Genesis, the Bible being the final authority and that spiritual gifts such as tongues and prophecy are not for today. You can probably be IFB and listen to CCM but it is a very bad idea for many reasons. Same goes with those that use the newer translations such as the NIV, NASB and ESV that are based off the "Critical Text". Also an IFB isn't going to be a social drinker or smoker and watch Two and a Half Men.

First, we would have to define just what we think IFB is.

Independent is fairly self-explanatory.

Fundamentalist is more open. Are we only concerned with the five basic fundamentals of the faith or are there other areas, topics or issues we believe to be a fundamental, such as separation?

Baptist, is also fairly self-explanatory.

So, unless there are some needed discussions on the finer points of the I or B, it seems most of the potential for difference is within the F. What are our fundamentals? What fundamentals are fundamental, necessary to believe, hold to and practice? Are there specific things that must be avoided if one is to be a true fundamentalist?

I think that this board is IFB and therefore those who are not, should be limited. There is a board that i used to belong to that would allow non-baptists to join, but you could only post in a couple forums. I don't post there anymore as they have gone very liberal.

I think that this board is IFB and therefore those who are not, should be limited. There is a board that i used to belong to that would allow non-baptists to join, but you could only post in a couple forums. I don't post there anymore as they have gone very liberal.

Good points. There is the danger of some who are clearly of the more liberal sort wrongly influencing others and of giving the wrong impression to those who visit or lurk.

I think that is Bro. Matt's intent on this question.

I have no problem with non IFB coming, but they should be limited to what they are able to comment on. My thought is just the Lounge.

We are on the same page here.

I think one aspect of being IFB that needs to be clear is whether or not the persons allow scripture to change their lives. I know that even amongst IFB there is disagreement on things like pants on women, some music styles, etc. That isn't what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the tendency of some posters to post things that are phrased as a question or an honest search for truth, but then turn it to their actual intent: to push their wrong doctrine or to snipe and pick and sneer (however politely) at IFB for wanting to stand on truth. How that could translate is the problem, but I think Pastorj has the right idea.

Rather than limiting IFB forums to a certain section, why not limit non-IFB to certain sections and have the main parts of the forum for only IFB. Like the Lounge, as Pastorj suggested. Perhaps the Lounge and Current Events, since the two would likely cross at times.

I concur!

As I look at the forum, I would expand it to the General Forums and limit all biblical issues to the other forums that they do not have comment capability.

I agree.

HappyChristian mentioned something that gets under my skin, it happened lately on the subject of Calvinism. Or at least it sure did seem that way to me. That is one person seemed to start a topic with intent of pushing that doctrine hoping to get converts.

Jerry,

That is why we are discussing this. There are too many people pushing false teaching which is causing good people to either not join or go away.

There are many Biblical issues that good IFB people will disagree on that we don't need to fight with the liberal non-IFB people over false teachings.

Jerry,

That is why we are discussing this. There are too many people pushing false teaching which is causing good people to either not join or go away.

There are many Biblical issues that good IFB people will disagree on that we don't need to fight with the liberal non-IFB people over false teachings.

Yes, quite a bit of that.

And I feel that's right, that would be a turn off for many of our sisters & brothers.

I would like for this to be a civil discussion. If you are reading this, you claim to be an Independent, Fundamental Baptist. The problem is that an IFB can mean many sort of things. For example, this website is and mostly IFB, but some say we are too IFB while other state we are not IFB enough. Where in your mind should Online Baptist/We draw the line for IFB?

Maybe first off the line should be IFB...if they do not designate themselves to be IFB then the denial is at the very beginning...whether lounge or any other part of the site what is doctrinally believed come out in their writing...

It really depends on your purpose for this site...go back and look at your initial purpose for this site...have you moved from that purpose have you added or redefined your purpose?

I am not going to an IFB because there is not one where I live, but of the choices that is had the one I am a member is the closest Baptist church to it...

I will say though if your purpose is IFB church goers I would sacrifice the fellowship for the sake of your pupose because of and for the purity of truth to those young IFBer's whose beliefs are growing and need not be brought into cofusion what can be read by those whose beliefs are not fundamental...does that make sense?

My imput...
Deborah

Deb,

I won't speak for Bro. Matt, but I came here years ago for the fellowship and the opportunity to discuss scriptural issues. Iron sharpeneth iron. If I can't defend my position amongst fellow believers, then I am in trouble.

The issue has been that People who consider themselves "Non-IFB" have come on this board a number of times to discuss their false doctrines. Such as:
Ruckmanism
Calvinism
and every other ism that goes against Scripture.

It is not really a matter of whether or not they attend a IFB church, but that they consider themselves IFB. There are many places in the US where there is no good IFB church and one must attend something close. I went to a FBF church for 2 years because there was nothing else. Though I did not agree with some things, I never considered myself a non-IFB.

So the question is, what areas of this board should be limited to non-IFB people to make sure that those who come here stay.

I suppose the moderators/administrator could develop a statement of faith that spelled out some of the non-negotiable doctrinal positions of the board leadership much like a church would have. It could be as detailed or as limited as one wished to make it. In order to post members would have to agree not to come here and promote doctrine contrary to that in the board statement of faith. That wouldn't get rid of all the problems, nor would it necessarily exclude non-IFB's from posting, but it might make things a little more orderly and there might be fewer threads with more people are arguing for bad doctrine than against it. :twocents:

I never will forget finding this board. I was fresh off having stopped posting on a Baptist board that had been invaded by 3 Catholics. They proceeded to tell us Baptist that we were 100% wrong. I had put up with them for over a years, finally getting tired of it, & stopped posting.

One thing for sure, no matter what one does, that certain type of people will come along & try to break up any unity, pushing the doctrine that Pastorj spoke of in his last post. It will be a never ending battle, the old Devil will see to it that those types keep on coming.

Once years ago I came across a church group that lives a few miles from me, I asked to join that group. they told me that this group was only for church members of their church. At the time is aggravate me, yet after I thought it out I understood where they were coming from. Keeping it limited to only their church members, people thye know. keeps out the element that Pastoj speaks of.

I disagree with some issues that Bro. Matt, Pastorj, HappyChristian, maybe another one or 2 stands for, they disagree with some that I stand for. Yet neither do they or I look for any & every opportunity to push these things. And it seems to me when it does come up we state our beliefs, them leave it there. Sad thing is some refuse to do that, they seem bent on making opportunities to bring certain issues up.

• Lady Administrators

As I look at the forum, I would expand it to the General Forums and limit all biblical issues to the other forums that they do not have comment capability.

That's kind of what was going through my mind this weekend. There are a few forums that need to be available to any member (support, game, etc).

I think non-IFB should be allowed to view just about everything though that way maybe they can get some knowledge on where they are wrong.

I was basically forced into an IFB church because I didn't even know what to look for in a church. I didn't know even what to ask, thankfully God sent someone to invite me to an IFB church. If someone gets saved they might not know what to do next, I think having other areas of the site open for them to help them (specifically new Christians) would be very helpful and a blessing to them.

Good points. I was saved for several years before God sent a solid Christian friend into my life and he took me to his Baptist church and introduced me to his very good pastor. That's when I finally got the solid preaching and teaching (the pastor had a GREAT men's Bible study) I needed...also the same time the Lord led me to use the KJB full time.

• Tell a friend

Love Online Baptist? Tell a friend!
  • Members

• Recent Status Updates

• Alan

Happy Birthday John Young! God Bless! 🍰
      · 1 reply
    • KJV ME!

Now it is time for me to step out of my shell and let go... I AM STRICT KJV!... In scripture God said he would preserve his word... Well did he or didn't he?... If there is every translation under the sun, then he didn't but I KNOW HE DID!... The preserved word of God called the KJV is for the English people has been around for over 400 years and what is interesting to me, is the KJV was translated in 1611 and the Pilgrims landed on Plymouth Rock in 1620... Coincidence?... A new book the preserved KJV word of God for the New World... So take that you KJV naysayers... I have been reading, studying and digging through the KJV for over 50 years... My belief is 100% Christ and scripture says so... Glad to be here and its time to take these shackles off!   
      John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
      I am... Brother Ramsey

· 1 reply
    • stan1964stanssb

Praise God I found such a powerhouse of the outpouring of His Spirit and unapologetic in regards of the defense of the KJV Bible. When I became a Christian back in 1984, I was told to get & read the KJV. It's been my choice all these years.
      · 0 replies
    • 1Timothy115  »  Ukulelemike

Mike,
      RE: This is why I am here, why are you?
      Also, the land in Egypt wasn't land God gave them it was land Joseph through Pharaoh gave them. God gave them Canaan.
      Dave 
      · 1 reply
    • Alan

Praise the Lord! Sherry and I, safe, tired, and joyful,  are back in Taiwan.
      · 0 replies
  • Popular Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Alan

Happy Birthday John Young! God Bless! 🍰
      · 1 reply
    • KJV ME!

Now it is time for me to step out of my shell and let go... I AM STRICT KJV!... In scripture God said he would preserve his word... Well did he or didn't he?... If there is every translation under the sun, then he didn't but I KNOW HE DID!... The preserved word of God called the KJV is for the English people has been around for over 400 years and what is interesting to me, is the KJV was translated in 1611 and the Pilgrims landed on Plymouth Rock in 1620... Coincidence?... A new book the preserved KJV word of God for the New World... So take that you KJV naysayers... I have been reading, studying and digging through the KJV for over 50 years... My belief is 100% Christ and scripture says so... Glad to be here and its time to take these shackles off!   
      John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
      I am... Brother Ramsey

· 1 reply
    • stan1964stanssb

Praise God I found such a powerhouse of the outpouring of His Spirit and unapologetic in regards of the defense of the KJV Bible. When I became a Christian back in 1984, I was told to get & read the KJV. It's been my choice all these years.
      · 0 replies
    • 1Timothy115  »  Ukulelemike

Mike,
      RE: This is why I am here, why are you?
      Also, the land in Egypt wasn't land God gave them it was land Joseph through Pharaoh gave them. God gave them Canaan.
      Dave 
      · 1 reply
    • Alan

Praise the Lord! Sherry and I, safe, tired, and joyful,  are back in Taiwan.
      · 0 replies