• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Conservatism versus hyper-conservatism?

• Members
Happy Christian: I certainly take the point about being a good testimony and not letting carelessness about our appearance detract from that testimony. On the eccentricity aspect, I guess it's all rather subjective, but it seems that some people are at pains not to be careless about their appearance for the sake of testimony, and yet 'don't care' if they seem very eccentric. Is this just a matter of words, or is there a slight point here? (I'm not referring to anyone in particular.)

If it's an unsaved person who believes it's eccentric my wife wears a skirt everywhere then I don't see what the issue is? If someone thought we were eccentric because we wore robes everywhere then that might be a different story. If you were trying to live to please others you'd never be able to please everyone since our opinions are like fingerprints...everyone has one.

But, if we live to please God then who cares what others think.

• Members

If it's an unsaved person who believes it's eccentric my wife wears a skirt everywhere then I don't see what the issue is? If someone thought we were eccentric because we wore robes everywhere then that might be a different story. If you were trying to live to please others you'd never be able to please everyone since our opinions are like fingerprints...everyone has one.

But, if we live to please God then who cares what others think.

D:

I guess what you would say is, that since your wife wears a skirt always, and my wife often wears pants, that God prefers the way your wife looks.

I'm not sure of the logic, but maybe we should leave it there. I don't want to put words in your mouth.

Blessings.

• Members
D: I guess what you would say is, that since your wife wears a skirt always, and my wife often wears pants, that God prefers the way your wife looks. I'm not sure of the logic, but maybe we should leave it there. I don't want to put words in your mouth. Blessings.

What I'm saying is God loves and blesses modest apparel. If somehow, your wifes pants are modest then I believe God loves that. Skirts are not by all means modest. If my wife was wearing a mini skirt God would not love that.

Why does everyone keep coming back to CLOTHING! It has nothing to do with the type of clothing, it has to do with if it's MODEST or not.

If clothing hugs the body and shows off the curves in a manner that is sexually appealing, I believe that to be SIN. Maybe this is my "hyper conservatism" coming out.

Don't think of it in skirt/pants/jeans/robes/clown suit terms. Think of it in modest/immodest terms.

• Administrators

Happy Christian:

I certainly take the point about being a good testimony and not letting carelessness about our appearance detract from that testimony. On the eccentricity aspect, I guess it's all rather subjective, but it seems that some people are at pains not to be careless about their appearance for the sake of testimony, and yet 'don't care' if they seem very eccentric. Is this just a matter of words, or is there a slight point here? (I'm not referring to anyone in particular.)

I think the point would be that it doesn't matter (or shouldn't) what the world thinks of how we dress. If we follow scriptural principles, God is pleased, and that is all that matters in the end (yes, testimony is important...but if God is pleased, our testimony is what it should be).

• Members

I must say that I am surprised and grieved to be called "eccentric" by several members of the forum. I certainly did not expect that from fellow IFBs.

(I'm not referring to anyone in particular.)

PS I'm not IFB, either.

Blessings.

• Administrators

I must say that I am surprised and grieved to be called "eccentric" by several members of the forum. I certainly did not expect that from fellow IFBs.

Whoa, now - please re-read my post. I'm sorry if you misunderstood: I was stating as a comparison to the world and its thoughts. You have stated in the past that your co-workers think you dress differently...which is eccentric, in their minds. My co-workers think I'm eccentric as well. I didn't say that you were eccentric. I'm grieved that you read it that way. My apologies for the misunderstanding - I don't consider you eccentric, because if I did, I would have to consider myself eccentric. :icon_smile:

Here's what else I said:
I think the point would be that it doesn't matter (or shouldn't) what the world thinks of how we dress. If we follow scriptural principles, God is pleased, and that is all that matters in the end (yes, testimony is important...but if God is pleased, our testimony is what it should be).
My entire point was that it doesn't matter if THE WORLD thinks we are eccentric if God is pleased. And I do believe your modesty pleases God.

• Members

Please, never close the thread. Let the moderators do it if they feel it's necessary.

I'm sure they will, if necessary, but this is also what the OP's close button facility is for. (But what do I know?)

We seem to be getting a bit off topic. :)