• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Deacons

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I've noticed 2 churches that over looked that and each of them ordained a man pastor who was married to a divorced woman. One of these churches later on refused to ordain a man who was married to a divorced woman.

I know of one divorced man who was ordained, but I don't know what Baptist church ordained him.

What really bothers me is a pastor who teaches divorce men can't be pastors, them get a divorce their self but will not step down from being pastor.

What would y'all's view be on a man who has married a woman who has 3 children but never been married, do you think he would be qualified to be a pastor?

• Members

In my opinion the office of deacon has really lost it's Biblical roots. Deacons were to minister (SERVE!) and not determine the direction (or "rule") the church. Though one may not be qualified to be a deacon (divorced, etc) all can still perform the ministries of a deacon.

If ANYONE would truly perform the role of a deacon (visiting the sick, helping in the church, etc) and not try to run things they would be very much appreciated by Pastor and staff and esteemed very highly in the church. Though one may not be Biblically qualified for OFFICE of deacon all can aspire to perform the ministries of a deacon.

• Members

Deacons have a large order to fill, just as important as the Pastor. Deacons were to "serve tables" ie. take care of the behind the scenes stuff, oversee care of Church grounds etc. They are to take care of these things so the Pastor can commit all his time to Study and care of the flock. They are to work beside yet under the authority of the Pastor. We also see deacons like stephen preaching. Deacons are often discounted in the Church today, however thier roll biblicaly is very important. Its requirements attest to this alone.

I was a deacon 13 years before I became a Pastor. It was one of the most challenging yet rewarding ministries I did. There is a blessing for the deacons that rule well.

1Ti 3:13 For they that have used the office of a deacon well purchase to themselves a good degree, and great boldness in the faith which is in Christ Jesus.

• Members

Yesterday I received an invitation in the mail. It appears that a person that formally attended our church is being ordained as a deacon at the local Baptist church. He and his wife went through a divorce a few years ago and since then he had been denied communion and prohibited from remarrying. About a year ago he met another woman and, wanting to marry her, left the Episcopal Church and started going to the Baptist church. They have since married. Now, after only going to the Baptist church for a short time, he is being ordained as a deacon.
My question is: What are the requirements to be a deacon in the Baptist church? This man has no formal theological training and had never so much as taught a Sunday school class at our church. I just found it strange that they would bestow such an important and honorable obligation on a person who is not only divorced and remarried, but has only been attending the church for a short time. I should add that this person is a good and godly man.

Qualifications are often overlooked in this modern apostate church - the reasons vary, but most prominent in gleeclub Baptist churches whether they be SBC or IFB or whatever, is the question of how much money does "Brother John" give?

Heavy giver; rich..= positions in the church to keep them there.

Moderate income to less than middle class = consideration for future places of service.

poor, lame , halt, lower class = no chance and stay where you are.