• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Discussion Topic - Women in Sports?

• Members

VIrtually every Christian college, including what some might consider more conservative ones, such as Pensacola Christian, have women's sports. In the past, this was not accepted, yet in recent times it has become part of society.

Is there anything in Scripture that should give us pause for this? Or are the few who say it is wrong simply misguided?
God bless,
Joel ><>.
2 Chronicles 7:14; Romans 5:8.

• Members

I don't think anyone wants to touch this.

As far as I see nothing in scripture forbids it. I guess the biggest thing someone could argue is about the attire. One thing I see though is that it seems that many girls today are learning all about excelling in sports or preparing for a career while no foundation is being laid for when they become a wife and mother.

• Members

There are several factors involved in this. One being that, in general, the female body wasn't designed for the rigors of certain sports. Depending upon the age, certain rigorous sports adversely effects several "female aspects" of their body.

As has been mentioned, for many sports, the attire is not modest. It's also very unseemly, as well as unchristian, the attitude and demeanor most females take on when playing certain sports.

The big push to open all sports doors for women was pushed by the ungodly radical feminists. That should tell us something.

• Members

I see nothing in Scripture that addresses this. I see nothing wrong with women's athletics. My daughter, at 3 years old, already loves playing witha soccer ball, basketball, and baseball. If she wants to play sports, I have no problem with it, and will wholeheartedly support it.

I do think it is very sad that many times, if a high school boys team wins a state championship, the school makes a huge deal of it, whereas if a women's basketball team did the same thing, they would not get nearly the same amount of celebration. Not sure why that is.

Edited by kindofblue1977

• Members

I don't see how female athletics inspire female virtue. In I Peter 3, Paul says that God highly values the cultivation of a "meek and quiet" spirit in godly women. The idea behind competitive sports is to beat the other team, while running around in front of other people in immodest garb. This is the antithesis of modest womanhood. How does participation in sports inspire meekness, modesty, placing others before yourself?

• Members

I beleive that God wants for us to take care of the bodies he has given to us. That means doing our best to stay in shape. Athletics for kids is a great way to encourage phyical activity and physical fitness. Athletics can be fun, build self confidence, teach teamwork, help kids stay in shape, teach discipline, etc. I can go on and on. Competative athletics is not for everyone, but it is a great way to teach these things for kids who want to participate.

For example, I am a runner and a triathlete. I would love it if my daughter would join me in these activities as she grows older. It is a way to stay fit, keep off excess weight as we age, lower cholesteral, have fun, get to know other people, have healthy competition to challenge ourselves, teach discipline in our daily lives, etc.

I have never heard before that women should not be involved in athletics. This is a foreign concept to me.

• Members

My primary objections, are first, the attire, it is unfeminine in almost every way. Even if they do play in feminine clothing, they still look and act decidedly masculine. Second, what is the principle of sports? To defeat others through competitive physical rigor, does that sound feminine in the least? In fact, it sounds the polar opposite. Third, this does not teach them to be meek and submissive, but rather to go forth and dominate. Not exactly feminine.

Plus, as was before pointed out on this topic, women were simply not designed to play many competitive sports. God did not make their bodies to sustain that kind of physical rigor. Simple fact.

Great discussion topic.

• Members

I wrote a reasonably large treatise on the subject as a letter for a Christian college. I may post it here...
God bless,
Joel ><>.

Did you send them the letter?

Most Christian colleges, even most Christian churches and Christians themselves don't want to hear about true biblical womanhood, or manhood. They are not interested in biblical separation or biblically sound standards that differ greatly from the world.

Many Christian colleges today are little more than worldly colleges with a thin coating of "christianese" added.

Consider the topics taught and preached so often where supposed Christian women and Christian womanhood is concerned. One of the most common themes is centered around the radical feminist idea of a "strong woman". This isn't the strong woman of Scripture who stands firm in her faith, by her husbands side, in support of her family. The "strong woman" promoted in much of Christianity today is far from the biblical model and more greatly appears like that of the worldly feminists.

How many Christian pastors and authors spend several minutes or pages basically appologizing for what Scripture says regarding men and women, their differences and different roles. By the time they are finished it either appears they don't really agree with Scripture and think women should just do things "the modern way", or their message is so mixed-up that one couldn't rightly determine what they were saying.

Radical feminism has drastically impacted Christianity and as a result professing Christian women, as well as men (and their children) are not taught what the Bible actually says about such matters. In many cases, they are taught to think and live contrary to what Scripture teaches.

• Members

Most Christian colleges, even most Christian churches and Christians themselves don't want to hear about true biblical womanhood, or manhood. They are not interested in biblical separation or biblically sound standards that differ greatly from the world.

Many Christian colleges today are little more than worldly colleges with a thin coating of "christianese" added.

Consider the topics taught and preached so often where supposed Christian women and Christian womanhood is concerned. One of the most common themes is centered around the radical feminist idea of a "strong woman". This isn't the strong woman of Scripture who stands firm in her faith, by her husbands side, in support of her family. The "strong woman" promoted in much of Christianity today is far from the biblical model and more greatly appears like that of the worldly feminists.

How many Christian pastors and authors spend several minutes or pages basically appologizing for what Scripture says regarding men and women, their differences and different roles. By the time they are finished it either appears they don't really agree with Scripture and think women should just do things "the modern way", or their message is so mixed-up that one couldn't rightly determine what they were saying.

Radical feminism has drastically impacted Christianity and as a result professing Christian women, as well as men (and their children) are not taught what the Bible actually says about such matters. In many cases, they are taught to think and live contrary to what Scripture teaches.

:amen: :godisgood:

• Administrators

Well, here's my voice on the matter: moderation in all things..... :icon_smile:

Our schools have physical education programs for all of the children - and the college students. Boys begin learning to wrestle at a young age, and even box :boxing: . They play soccer as well. The girls, however, do not.

The high-school & college girls have intermural sports programs, which means they play teams (girls only) within the school, rather than with other schools. They compete, and they like to win. Does this make them un-submissive? No, because they are playing under rules and under leadership of their coaches (who are all very feminine women...). What it does teach them is three-fold: 1. Teamwork. That is something that is missing from many people's lives today. People don't know how to work as a team. It's all "me, me, me." Even in marriage. 2. To push themselves beyond the point where they THINK they can go. This is vital, especially today since so many are growing up satisfied to be or do nothing or not much at the very least. 3. To keep fit. The healthier a body is, the longer one can serve the Lord.

Our girls don't look masculine at all. They just don't.

MissLinda - I agree with much of what you said, but I do believe (and I've seen it with my own eyes) that team sports can cultivate the spirit of putting others before yourself. That's what teams are all about. Yes, it's competitive, but there really isn't anything wrong with being competitive. The wrong comes in when it is all-consuming. Girls grow up to be women, who usually become mothers, and often the mothers of boys...Too often mothers teach their boys to be almost feminine in their attitudes, teaching them things like competition is bad...and that just isn't true.

Personally, I don't believe it's right to have a team of any sport with mixed sexes (ESPECIALLY on the high school, college level). And I don't think it's necessary for girls' teams to play for public consumption. Our girls are dressed modestly, even while they play, but there's just something immodest, to me, about males watching females play basketball or volleyball....

I do not believe, based on modesty alone, that women should participate in professional sports. The USA women's soccer team is uber-immodest in their playing, and in their victories. No-one can justify, rightly, a woman taking off her shirt on the playing field...and of course, when that happens, the camera catches it...

Our boys do not wrestle girls - and our coaches have gotten flak for it from Christian school coaches. But we will forfeit before we allow our boys to get on the ground and wrestle girls. There just isn't anything right about that!!

We also hold a 5-K every year, for anyone in the church who wants to run it. And many of our people participate in marathons. Running is a solo sport, but it is a good way to keep fit.

My personal choice is the pool. :flip:

• Members

I wrote a reasonably large treatise on the subject as a letter for a Christian college. I may post it here...
God bless,
Joel ><>.

It would be nice if you would, despite it's size, it might help with the discussion some.

• Members

I agree that it is important to exercise and take care of the vessel that we have been given, but that can be done in a modest way without involving competitive sports. I walk 3 1/2 miles each day on a treadmill, and because I exercise indoors I can exercise consistently throughout the year regardless of the weather (it is 110 degrees outside today--so I am particulary thankful that I can exercise in my air conditioned home today!). Some of the women at my church prefer to exercise in a gym, and they all go to a women-only exercise facility. Most of the married women in my church have large families, and both the wives and older daughters get plenty of exercise chasing after fast-moving little ones all day long! :lol:

As far as learning to work well with others (work "as a team", as it were) and put others before oneself, certainly that can be learned in team sports but I believe it can also be learned by serving one's family and church community.

• Administrators

Yes, it certainly can be learned by serving one's family and church community. But there really isn't anything scripturally wrong with exercising on a team. The wrong comes in when it becomes an end in and of itself (whether it's team sports or individual working out in an all-ladies gym), and a goal for the woman as a career. The wrong comes in when girls are allowed to play sports like guys. There is a way to play and be feminine.

Our girls (as well as the ladies in the church) can exercise consistently throughout the year as well, since we have a gym, an indoor walking track, indoor weight rooms (one for ladies and one for gents), and an indoor pool.

Banning all team sports for girls is actually out of balance. Not because the feminists demand it, but because scripture doesn't say girls aren't allowed to play (nor is there actually a principle that can be applied that says absolutely no sports for girls...). God expects us to be balanced. I think there is too much emphasis on sports in most schools - even Christian schools. And that is a detriment to both boys and girls. But to just say no sports for girls is a bit much when God doesn't say so, nor do any principles. Modesty is important - but there are modest outfits that can be worn - and keeping the competition within the school rather than competing with other schools as well. Meekness is important in a woman, but, truthfully, it isn't the sports team that creates a loudmouth girl...trace it to the mom, and the friends that the parents let the girl hang around.

When I worked as a teacher, I was careful to make sure that the girls played modestly. It can, and should, be done.

• Members

Good comments. I agree that girls can play sports without being immodest. Our kids (both boys and girls) have played on soccer, basketball, and baseball teams. They love swimming, hiking, and other "solo sports/recreation" too. Keeping growing bodies and minds active is very healthy, IMO. And the team sports provide accountability that solo sports don't...The kids are forced to push themselves farther than they thought they could go, and learn how to encourage others to do the same. When goals are met, everyone rejoices together. In addition, ability to strategize as a team is developed. I could go on and on...learning how to lose and win gracefully is another great life lesson. Setting goals, striving together to meet them, maintaining poise under pressure, disciplining the spirit as well as the body, sportsmanship, helping the weak, working around personality differences, etc. Too good to pass up! Sure, all of these things could be developed in other ways, but I think playing on a sports team kills a lot of those birds with just one stone.