• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Minn. teen girls charged in nursing home abuse

• Members

(I realize we live in a fallen sin-filled world, but I can't fathom how this could be seen as fun, entertaining, something to laugh and brag about. :puzzled: And the "punishment" for this, if they are conviceted; not even close to what it should be! :uuhm: )

Minn. teen girls charged in nursing home abuse

ALBERT LEA, Minn. ? Two teenage girls who worked at a nursing home have been charged with abuse, accused of taunting, spitting on and groping residents who suffered from Alzheimer's disease.

According to the criminal complaint, filed Monday, 19-year-old Brianna Broitzman and 18-year-old Ashton Larson laughed earlier this year as they spat in residents' mouths, poked and groped their breasts and genitals, and at times mocked them until they screamed.

Broitzman and Larson, who worked as part-time aides at the home, have been charged as adults.

Larson's father disputed the charges against his daughter in a statement issued to and read on NBC's "Today" show Thursday.

"Not all of the charges are as they appear. Much of this has been distorted by the news media," Michael Larson said in the statement.

"My daughter was doing nothing more than performing the duties of her job."

No one answered the phone Thursday morning at Broitzman's home. There was no information in court records on attorneys for either teen.

Four other teens who worked with them at the Good Samaritan Society were charged as juveniles for failing to report the incidents.

A total of eight teens were allegedly involved in the incidents, but there was no record of criminal charges being filed against two of them.

Broitzman and Larson are charged with assault, abuse of a vulnerable adult by a caregiver, abuse of a vulnerable adult with sexual contact, disorderly conduct and failing to report suspected maltreatment. All are gross misdemeanors.

If found guilty, Broitzman and Larson "most likely will face suspended jail sentences and probation, so they'd have the threat of jail hanging over them if they get in more trouble," Freeborn County Attorney Craig Nelson told the Star Tribune of Minneapolis.

The Minnesota Department of Health released a report in August showing that 15 residents with Alzheimer's disease or other dementia disorders were abused at the facility between Jan. 1 and May 1.

According to the complaint filed Monday, one of the aides said the group gathered at work or school to "talk and laugh about the incidents."

Mark Anderson, administrator at the Good Samaritan Society in Albert Lea, told WCCO-TV that the past few months have been difficult for the staff, the home's residents and their families.

"We are just really thankful that the proceedings are moving forward and hopefully can see some closure to this whole process," Anderson said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081204/ap_ ... home_abuse

• Members

I absolutely know kids and teens can be very cruel, especially to each other. I've seen such far too many times. But to find pleasure in being so cruel to elderly folks who supposed to be in their care :puzzled: That takes an extremely sick (in the sin-plagued sense) mind; or heart.

As I was thinking of this story I remembered back when I was about 20 a girlfriends sister was laughing it up with her friend. When I asked what they were laughing about they started talking about how the friend worked in a nursing home and how she would sometimes have to give sponge baths and other duties. She started carrying on about checking out the patients private areas, making crude jokes about such, and talking about doing gross things. I remember be so shocked and disgusted I just walked away, literally speechless. That girl got fired that weekend but there was no reason given for why she was fired.

Sadly, I notice stories like this a lot. This seems to be a very common problem. It's no wonder so many people fear going to these places and some prefer to die than to go.

I do believe the punishment for such treatment should be far greater than what the article stated. Were the same things done to these girls (or others who do such things) I have little doubt they would believe a very serious punishment should be given.

• Members

Actually there is no punishment to harsh for those who abuse nursing home patients in any manner.

The need a BIG BLACK mark on their records forever.

5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
Gen 6:5 (KJV)

• Members

It is a federal crime to abuse elderly people even if they do not live in a nursing home

http://www.nycagainstrape.org/survivors ... et_74.html

I hope those teens spend some time behind bars for what they did! Obviously they did not think they did anything wrong or they would not have been aughing and bragging about it. Young people have no concsience these days. The whole world has gone mad! :loco

• Administrators

:verymad:

And to think that one of the fathers is defending his daughter...that's a good indication as to why she got into this. Sadly, these girls were not taught proper respect for people - especially the elderly.

I thought of the residents at the nursing home where we have a service every Sat. If someone did that to one of ours, and I got hold of 'em.... :verymad:

• Members
:verymad:

And to think that one of the fathers is defending his daughter...that's a good indication as to why she got into this. Sadly, these girls were not taught proper respect for people - especially the elderly.

I thought of the residents at the nursing home where we have a service every Sat. If someone did that to one of ours, and I got hold of 'em.... :verymad:

I wonder how the rfatherwho defended his daughter would feel if his "sweet girl" abused his mother, father or favorite aunt
Angelmiss

• Members

I work at a law firm that defends nursing homes. I see all sorts of allegations that family members make in order to make money. What is terrible is that many time,s a family leaves their mother or father in the home for years and years....never complaining. After they die, then the complaints begin, and lawsuits are filed. If the home was so bad, why did they leave mom or dad in there for so long?

Some cases are very bad, and nursing homes pay for bad treatment. Others are not bad, and families are out to make money.

I don't know of these allegations are true or not. If evidence proves that this occured, they and the home should be punished accordingly. If not, then they should not be punished.

The media may very well be distroting the facts.

I'm not defending these actions or girls, I'm just saying I've seen allegations like this before that turn out to be false.

• Members
I work at a law firm that defends nursing homes. I see all sorts of allegations that family members make in order to make money. What is terrible is that many time,s a family leaves their mother or father in the home for years and years....never complaining. After they die, then the complaints begin, and lawsuits are filed. If the home was so bad, why did they leave mom or dad in there for so long?

Some cases are very bad, and nursing homes pay for bad treatment. Others are not bad, and families are out to make money.

I don't know of these allegations are true or not. If evidence proves that this occured, they and the home should be punished accordingly. If not, then they should not be punished.

The media may very well be distroting the facts.

I'm not defending these actions or girls, I'm just saying I've seen allegations like this before that turn out to be false.

There is always those who are looking for a pot of gold, any way that can get it.

I know of some who have tried to squeeze nursing homes out of a pot of gold.

Actually with those who are seeking a pot of goal, no one is safe from them.