• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Women & rape

16 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel that the way some women dress, & or lack of dress, dressing in revealing clothes has an impact on being raped & murdered?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure

• Members

No, actually I think it was Suzi that mentioned that many women know their attackers. None of the women (and girls) I know who were attacked really knew their attackers (in the case of one, they had met but didn't know each other).

HappyChristian:

Oh okay, right. Yes this is a very important point. You are right. Maybe ppl aren't on the same page after all. We need to remember that it can be a terrible, traumatic experience for no fault of their own.

• Members

No, actually I think it was Suzi that mentioned that many women know their attackers. None of the women (and girls) I know who were attacked really knew their attackers (in the case of one, they had met but didn't know each other).

Okay, thank you for the assist!

There was a rapist back in the 80s attacking women in their homes and yards in a college town. It was thought a college student was the likely rapist. All the women attacked were random other than the fact they were either at home alone or in their yards. The rapist simply walked around and when he saw what he viewed as a convenient target, he attacked them.

One woman was in her back yard sunbathing, listening to her walkman. She was in her 30s or 40s. She awoke to the rapist grabbing her and forcing her from her lawn chair recliner into an old garage where he raped her.

The rapist turned out to be a 15 year old local. At 15 he was already over six feet tall and very strong.

All rapes seemed to be totally "opportune". The defense took a "he's mentally disturbed" approach and eventually the prosecutor worked out a plea deal; partly because of the rapists age and partly to spare the women from having to testify at trial.

In any case, it's always a horrible crime.

We are on the same page here, as most are.

• Administrators

Sometimes I think the media coverage of that type of thing encourages others to do it, too. Bundy was sensationalized - even though they weren't sure who it was, he started in Seattle and ended up in FL - leaving bodies in his wake. He and others who did/do perverted things are studied by Criminal Justice students, and sometimes I wonder if studying this type of thing, although necessary to spot certain things, doesn't at times do more harm than good.

• Members

Sometimes I think the media coverage of that type of thing encourages others to do it, too. Bundy was sensationalized - even though they weren't sure who it was, he started in Seattle and ended up in FL - leaving bodies in his wake. He and others who did/do perverted things are studied by Criminal Justice students, and sometimes I wonder if studying this type of thing, although necessary to spot certain things, doesn't at times do more harm than good.

Agreed. Too much delving into such things isn't good for the inner being of those who do. It's certainly not good for the many who read the books and watch the movies about such.

News coverage can be a problem too. All too often there are copycats who see something like this going on, determine now would be a good time for them to act on thoughts they may have kept in check before, as they figure if they copy what they know of the criminal talked about on TV, they may have a better chance of getting away with it.

How many lives have been misled and ruined by the sensationalizing of crimes and criminals. Today many mobsters are viewed as heroes, as are the likes of Bonnie and Clyde and Ted Bundy.

Some years ago I saw a portion of a show dealing with criminals and they were talking to a convicted rapist and he had been influenced by the reporting on Ted Bundy. One of his goals in life became outdoing the "great" criminals of the past. Sad.

• Members

This brings the broader issue of publicity. Some ppl think any publicity is good publicity, educational, etc. But sometimes it can have the opposite effect.

That saying is with regards to celebrity and business; sometimes politics; not criminal law.

Scripture tells us what sort of things we should think on and what sort of things we should not fill our minds with.