• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

Correct, the passage deos not say that what Christ preached to the spirits in prison was the gospel. Many bible commentators say the word preach in this case actually means to proclaim. Perhaps Jesus went to proclaim his victory over death, hell and satan.

The one question that remains is why would Jesus single out Noah's preaching and rebuke those who did not listen? If He preached to fallen angels of Noah's day, then why only them and not all the fallen angels from all of history?

Are we agreed that spirits are angels and demons, and not humans? Humans have spirits but the bible never refers to them as spirits.

I would say we don't agree on the spirits being angels and or demons in the context of who Jesus preached to in 1 Peter 3:19, but rather those humans who died in the flood. If you look at what verse 20 immediately says, you will see it is talking of all that perished in the flood with exception of Noah and the 7 other people.

19By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
20Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

• Members

No, Jesus did not go to "Hell" as far as the eternal place of torment. Jesus went to Hadies (the unseen world) where there is Paradice and Tartorus (pardon the spelling). Jesus told the thief that he would be with him that day in paradise. That is where Jesus went. By the way, this is not heaven for Jesus told Mary not to touch him since he had not been back to the father at that time.

Though I like and use the KJV, it indescrimanently uses the word "Hell."

I would agree, I should clarify, the places of the dead souls was Hades/ paradise and hell. Jesus took those saved ones with Him, hense Paul saying absent from the body present with the Lord, and in Thesselonians when He says God will bring the dead in Christ with Him, at the resurrection and rapture. Jesus did go to hell/tartaros/prison,which is the waiting place for the wicked/lost such as the richman and those disobedient during Noahs time, and they are in torments of a flame. Hell/ghenna is the Lake of fire and also the second death . Death and hell/tartaratos/prison will be cast into the Hell/ghenna/the lake of fire,which is the second death. Edited by Kleptes

• Members

The interesting thing is, the creed that says Christ descended into hell was written in the 4th century, the time when the Roman Catholic church got organized. The RCC needs to twist 1 Peter 3 in order to have there false purgaory teaching.

1 Peter 3-18-20 says nothing about Jesus descending to hades or hell. Maybe the confusion is the different Greek and Hebrew meanings of the words, hades, sheol, etc. Jesus went to the abode of the dead. Could that mean the grave? Of course his spirit wasn't there. He told the thief that TODAY they would be in paradise.

Actually if you read Acts 2:27 the greek word hades is used which is paradise and hell/tartartos.

• Members

I would agree, I should clarify, the places of the dead souls was Hades/ paradise and hell. Jesus took those saved ones with Him, hense Paul saying absent from the body present with the Lord, and in Thesselonians when He says God will bring the dead in Christ with Him, at the resurrection and rapture. Jesus did go to hell/tartaros/prison,which is the waiting place for the wicked/lost such as the richman and those disobedient during Noahs time, and they are in torments of a flame. Hell/ghenna is the Lake of fire and also the second death . Death and hell/tartaratos/prison will be cast into the Hell/ghenna/the lake of fire,which is the second death.

Jesus went to paradise which is one "side" of Hadese. He did not go to tartarus where the rich man is.

• Members

People, the context of I Peter 3:18-20 has nothing to do with Abraham's Bosom or paradise. It is talking about someone who was disobedient during the time of the flood. Whoever Christ preached to it was someone from that specific time. It would make no sense for Christ just to preach to the unsaved destroyed during the flood. So it most likely has to do with the sons of God (i.e. angels) who left heaven for the daughters of men.

Edited by Wilchbla

• Members

People, the context of I Peter 3:18-20 has nothing to do with Abraham's Bosom or paradise. It is talking about someone who was disobedient during the time of the flood. Whoever Christ preached to it was someone from that specific time. It would make no sense for Christ just to preach to the unsaved destroyed during the flood. So it most likely has to do with the sons of God (i.e. angels) who left heaven for the daughters of men.

I don't for one minute believe that Genesis 6, which is already another topic, are fallen angels. Even if it were Jesus wouldn't have implied this.
41Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

It is prepared for the devil and his angles, not that any are there... yet.

• Members

It is a free country, but there is no evidence whatsoever that he did.

I don't know why the comment, "It is a free country was used.", but I have shown evidence that it is. Jesus went somewhere. It is called prison. Said He preached to somebody, it was those who were disobedient during the time of Noah and they had died in the flood. No one has given any other place for what prison is. I mean how many different places do the dead go? I know of only two. As of now it is heaven or hell/tartaros.

• Members

The sons of God in Gen 6:2 is not speaking about Angels.

• Members

I don't know why the comment, "It is a free country was used.", but I have shown evidence that it is. Jesus went somewhere. It is called prison. Said He preached to somebody, it was those who were disobedient during the time of Noah and they had died in the flood. No one has given any other place for what prison is. I mean how many different places do the dead go? I know of only two. As of now it is heaven or hell/tartaros.

"It is a free country." I used it simply to say that we are all free to believe whatever we want to (this is not to say that believing something contrary to the word of God does not have consequences to where we spend all of enternity.)

I renew the question, why would Christ go and preach the Gospel to people who are already lost for all eternity? Once we die, there is no hope. The Gospel was preached to those who lived in the time of the flood and even before. Gen 3:15 is the first promise of Christ and thus the Gospel was preached.

• Members

I renew the question, why would Christ go and preach the Gospel to people who are already lost for all eternity? Once we die, there is no hope. The Gospel was preached to those who lived in the time of the flood and even before. Gen 3:15 is the first promise of Christ and thus the Gospel was preached.

I agree, Dan. 1 Pet. 4:6For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit. makes it clear - the gospel was preached to them that are dead." They are dead now, though their spirits live in "prison" because they rejected the Gospel preached while they lived.

• Members

"It is a free country." I used it simply to say that we are all free to believe whatever we want to (this is not to say that believing something contrary to the word of God does not have consequences to where we spend all of enternity.)

Who said he preached the Gospel? I know I sure did not.

• Members

What did he preach?

Scripture states that he preached "righteousness": 2 Peter 2
1But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
2And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.
3And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.
4For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;
5And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;
6And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly;
7And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked:
8(For that righteous man dwelling among them, in seeing and hearing, vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds;)
9The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:

The idea of preaching some special message to lost antediluvian sinners in hell is extraordinary.

Let us believe Scripture & keep to what Peter writes.

Why the antediluvians? Then there was Noah & the rest of the earth's population. After the flood (& Babel) the earth was divided into many disparate groups, & the Gospel was reserved for Abraham & his seed, until Christ.

Note specifically: Gen. 6:3And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

The Holy Spirit was there striving with mortal man - flesh not hybrid angels/women. Edited by Covenanter