• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Did y'all know OB has a Wikipedia page?

• Members
I think that whoever wrote that did a pretty gob of explaining IFB! :clap:

I'd have to disagree, as I've already detailed on the other forum. These attributes might describe the "stereotypical" IFB church, but they sure don't describe mine, or any of the ones I've attended. I would not be a part of a church with all of these attributes, because I do not agree with a number of them.

IAM4given wrote:

No, the preference should go to whom the Holy Spirit leads. Not to whom we think that it should go to.

Look in Acts 1:15-26
15 And in those days Peter stood up in the midst of the disciples, and said, (the number of names together were about an hundred and twenty,)
16 Men and brethren, this scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake before concerning Judas, which was guide to them that took Jesus.
17 For he was numbered with us, and had obtained part of this ministry.
18 Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.
19 And it was known unto all the dwellers at Jerusalem; insomuch as that field is called in their proper tongue, Aceldama, that is to say, The field of blood.
20 For it is written in the book of Psalms, Let his habitation be desolate, and let no man dwell therein: and his bishoprick let another take.
21 Wherefore of these men which have companied with us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us,
22 Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of his resurrection.
23 And they appointed two, Joseph called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias.
24 And they prayed, and said, Thou, Lord, which knowest the hearts of all men, shew whether of these two thou hast chosen,
25 That he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place.
26 And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

Now, look at verse 24 especially, It says that they prayed to the Lord, that He would show whom He wanted.
When they cast their lots, (or as we do today in conducting church business....they voted) the Lord chose Matthias.
Just where do we as members of the church, think that we can elect someone to a church office, without following the Lord's leading?

If the Lord has led the church to elect a veteran to hold office then so be it. BUT, if the Lord leads to someone else being elected, and the church does contrary to the Lord's leading, then that church is not right with the Lord, and the Lord will hold the pastor accountable.

Great scripture postings, rwwilson. Very correct, when you are speaking of "cast their lots." :amen:

"Awarding war veterans with higher positions in the church, such as being deacons "

I think that Wiki doesn't know about all IFB churches in the country. One of my deacons is a "war veteran"---the other is not: however, we have plenty of "war veterans" from all the wars, in my IFB church. :thumb

A good article all in all, for me---though. :-)

• Moderators

I'd have to disagree that IFBs 'originated in the American South.' And their description of the music service sounds more like the 'praise bands' that we are supposedly shunning!

Candelelight, electric organs are the instruments used in most small churches nowadays that still have organs. They are the 'cheap' alternative to pipe organs, which are expensive and require huge amounts of space. Ragtime is an early 20th century music style (think Scott Joplin's 'The Entertainer) which was a precursor to jazz and is marked by its heavy syncompation. It's not rock music, and people that eschew rock might put up with ragtime. I would personally avoid attending a church that used that style music.

I find the heavy emphasis on 'IFBs use Southern Gospel music' in this article to be rather interesting -- and, from my perspective, incorrect!

Thanks, Saylan. I agree totally with your post. Neither of my IFB's (past or current) would promote this.

I know what "Jazz" is and I have heard it before. I have heard the name "Ragtime" but, if I have heard it in the past---it is gone from my brain.

• Members

Hey - I am not the one who wrote that wiki page, I just ran across it this morning and thought it was a very good article. If that is not your church and that is not how you do things, then maybe you are not IFB, I don't know? That is between you, your pastor and God. IFB is not a big broad spectrum of beliefs as some seem to think that it is. If anything it tends to be rather exclusive - ie it excludes those people who want to live like the world, such as those who believe drinking alcohol on social occassions is okay,or eating in restaurants that serve alcohol is okay, or women who insist on cross dressing as men wearing pants and chopping off their hair, etc. If you think that is too harsh and too judgemental, then perhaps you are not IFB? I happen to be an IFB Baptist - "yarn died and a mile wide" as my old preacher used to say - from the top of my head to the tips of my toes.

It does me good to see that there are still a few truly IFB members left on this board, but that number seems to be shrinking by the day!

Hey - I am not the one who wrote that wiki page' date=' I just ran across it this morning and thought it was a very good article.[/quote']

I know, Janet. I thought it was a VERY good article, all in all. :thumb

I just didn't know what the music was about.

• Members

I recall in the church I grew up in there was a plaque with a list of names of war veterans under it, both those who had been killed as well as those who had come home alive. I believe all it amounted to was recognizing those who served, living and dead, who fought for the freedoms we enjoy in America.

Actually today that be few that think of veterans, both living and dead, as they once did. Yes even respect for those who truly served their country is not there. Oh many do it with their lips, but few do so with their hearts and deeds, we all know about lip service when there is nothing behind it.

I think most any community will have at least one veteran, maybe more, that the war took a bad toll on and they can not function in society. Just take a look at how he is treated and or talked about and you can get a good idea of what I'm referring to.

There is something about the horrors of war, seeing you best friends and or even enemies killed, laying on the ground dead, maybe with their bodies torn to pieces, that leaves the minds of some where they cannot function. I know of about 3 or 4 Vietnam veterans that if this group. Most people look down on them and say, they ought to get their act together, they have no right to be that may, after all there is those in our mist who suffered the same things and they're seem to be alright. I promise you, even those veterans that seem OK, if you can get them to open up you will find that life for them is hard to deal with because of those wars days and the nightmares they live with.

The Vietnam Days forever change the outlook of which America has on those who served our country in the armed service and there be few that are truly thankful for the great sacrifices they made and show it in their deeds.

• Moderators
Hey - I am not the one who wrote that wiki page, I just ran across it this morning and thought it was a very good article. If that is not your church and that is not how you do things, then maybe you are not IFB, I don't know? That is between you, your pastor and God. IFB is not a big broad spectrum of beliefs as some seem to think that it is. If anything it tends to be rather exclusive - ie it excludes those people who want to live like the world, such as those who believe drinking alcohol on social occassions is okay,or eating in restaurants that serve alcohol is okay, or women who insist on cross dressing as men wearing pants and chopping off their hair, etc. If you think that is too harsh and too judgemental, then perhaps you are not IFB? I happen to be an IFB Baptist - "yarn died and a mile wide" as my old preacher used to say - from the top of my head to the tips of my toes.

It does me good to see that there are still a few truly IFB members left on this board, but that number seems to be shrinking by the day!

Who are you responding to? That article is one person's description of one church. Not concurring precisely with all aspects of that description does not make one cease to be an IFB. My church agrees with all the Biblical doctrines espoused in that article, and we practice standards of Biblical separation. Our standards are in some ways stricter than those described in this article; however, we do not practice congregational silent prayer, we do not have a choir and we do not use Southern Gospel in our worship services. In other words, we do not 'do things' exactly as this aricle demands. Does this disqualify us from calling ourselves an IFB church?

Independent -- Individual churches governed by God's Word and congregational vote that shun hierarchical authority outside
the local church.
Fundamental -- Holding to the fundamental doctrines of the Christian faith as described by a literal application of the Bible
Baptist -- Practicing church distinctives historically held by groups of Christian believers calling themselves Baptists.
B -- Bible as sole authority
A -- Autonomy of the local church
P -- Priesthood of every believer
T -- Two church officers: pastor/bishop and deacon
I -- Individual soul liberty
S -- Separation: individual, congregationally, and church/state
T -- Two church ordinances (as opposed to sacraments): believer's baptism by immersion and the Lord's Supper

Disclaimer: this list is only a man's description of the Biblical church and may be fallible. Run all points by Scripture before agreeing/disagreeing. (Sorry, I don't have my Bible with me right now.)

I recall in the church I grew up in there was a plaque with a list of names of war veterans under it, both those who had been killed as well as those who had come home alive. I believe all it amounted to was recognizing those who served, living and dead, who fought for the freedoms we enjoy in America.

Actually today that be few that think of veterans, both living and dead, as they once did. Yes even respect for those who truly served their country is not there. Oh many do it with their lips, but few do so with their hearts and deeds, we all know about lip service when there is nothing behind it.

I think most any community will have at least one veteran, maybe more, that the war took a bad toll on and they can not function in society. Just take a look at how he is treated and or talked about and you can get a good idea of what I'm referring to.

There is something about the horrors of war, seeing you best friends and or even enemies killed, laying on the ground dead, maybe with their bodies torn to pieces, that leaves the minds of some where they cannot function. I know of about 3 or 4 Vietnam veterans that if this group. Most people look down on them and say, they ought to get their act together, they have no right to be that may, after all there is those in our mist who suffered the same things and they're seem to be alright. I promise you, even those veterans that seem OK, if you can get them to open up you will find that life for them is hard to deal with because of those wars days and the nightmares they live with.

The Vietnam Days forever change the outlook of which America has on those who served our country in the armed service and there be few that are truly thankful for the great sacrifices they made and show it in their deeds.

Great post, Pastor Jerry! :amen:

• Members

I know what you mean Bro. Jerry - Vietnam Vets have really been treated badly - mostly because of the harsh liberal media and Communists such as JAne Fonda who called them "baby killers" and worse! The men in those days were drafted into the military - they had no choice but to go and fight- and they fought very hard for the freedoms we have in America today. However, it seems that people and politicians are willingly giving up their freedoms and constitutional rights for the sake of "change" - so sometimes I wonder what our Military are fighting for anyways? I still say that all things equal Miitary personell and Vets deserve to be given preference - and if a church really prays about it I am sure God would lead them in that direction as well. Like that old hymn says "Onward Christian Soldiers, marching off to war..."

• Administrators

Interesting article. It's not 100% accurate, but it's Wiki! :Green

The emphasis on Southern Gospel music got me, too. Offerings are taken to the playing of southern gospel hymns? Not in our church. We don't use Southern Gospel. There are some songs that could be labeled as such in their origin, but we don't play them or sing them in that way. We use mainly the old hymns as well, even in our choir. Don't get me wrong - if someone wants to have that in their church, that's their business. We just don't in ours. I don't care for most of it.

Our deacons aren't the only ones who take the offering, either. Our ushers do, and they are not all deacons.

I agree with rwilson about the vet issue, too. I think we do not honor vets enough in this country. But that alone is not a reason to award them with any position in the church.

And there are no bongo drums or praise bands in our church. Just a lovely orchestra that anyone on here would enjoy!