• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Did y'all know OB has a Wikipedia page?

• Members

Independent, Fundamental, Premellinial, Militant, Baptists ???

Is that what I've attached myself to?

Great! I like that in a fellowship.

Ian Paisley, once said with some sincerity, "FunnyMentalPeople."

I believe it was Billy Kelly or Rod Bell who said, "The main stream religions just pass us by."

• Members

I'll have to disagree with this line.
"Awarding war veterans with higher positions in the church, such as being deacons "
I don't recall anything in my KJV 1611 Bible of the qualifacations of a deacon to be a war veteran.

Other than that I think that they did a pretty good job.

Bob

• Members
I'll have to disagree with this line.
"Awarding war veterans with higher positions in the church, such as being deacons "
I don't recall anything in my KJV 1611 Bible of the qualifacations of a deacon to be a war veteran.

Other than that I think that they did a pretty good job.

Bob

Hmm seems like a standard practice to me - after all War Veterans worked hard to preserve our religious freedom, did they not? I don't think it is so much as as a "qualification" as it is an honor bestowed upon them , a way of saying thank you for the sacrafices that the soldiers have made.

• Members

Hmm seems like a standard practice to me - after all War Veterans worked hard to preserve our religious freedom, did they not? I don't think it is so much as as a "qualification" as it is an honor bestowed upon them , a way of saying thank you for the sacrafices that the soldiers have made.

As long as they meet the qualifications in the pastoral epistles, I have no problem with honoring them in this way. I don't believe I would ask my pastor to wait until one was available if we needed a replacement/addition. :smile

• Members

I agree that being a deacon is an honor, but not just beacause that he is a war veteran. As long as the man that is being nominated for the position is qualified by what the Bible says are the requirements of a deacon, then it doesn't make any difference if he's a war veteran or not. You can't just elect a man to an office in the church just because you want to say "thank you" for defending our faith and our country. That is unbiblical.
Whether it's common practice or not, any church that does not adhere to what the Bible says are the requirements of church office is not a true Bible believing church. The Bible is vey plain in what the requirements are for pastors and deacons should be. They are very serious and important offices to hold.

Bob

• Members
I agree that being a deacon is an honor, but not just beacause that he is a war veteran. As long as the man that is being nominated for the position is qualified by what the Bible says are the requirements of a deacon, then it doesn't make any difference if he's a war veteran or not. You can't just elect a man to an office in the church just because you want to say "thank you" for defending our faith and our country. That is unbiblical.
Whether it's common practice or not, any church that does not adhere to what the Bible says are the requirements of church office is not a true Bible believing church. The Bible is vey plain in what the requirements are for pastors and deacons should be. They are very serious and important offices to hold.

Bob

okay I agree with you on that - if two men are equally qualified by Biblical standards to be a deacon and one is a veteran and one is not a veteran - then I think the preference ought to go to the one who is a veteran. I do not think just being a veteran is enough to qualify for the position. Maybe you ought to modify the wikipage to clarify that point. :amen:

It is sad to say, but most churches now days are predominately women and children, and it is tough to find enough men to fill the roles as deacon, period. :pray

Great article on the IFB's from Wiki. Thanks, Janet! :thumb

I have a question, though, pertaining to music. What is ragtime? And, what are the organs that they are talking about? Also, they mentioned some other things that I have never heard. I guess my church is not in favor of Southern Gospel to that extent. LOL.

P.S. ~ I also agree with the other point that was brought up. Good explanations, folks! :-)

• Members

This was one of the links that was given as an example of Gospel music found in most IFB churches -my church has wonderful music such as this
(please also note the absence of bongo drums :cool )

[tube]M0njsHgAGBA[/tube]

and another!

[tube]XzsI5y9rbTI[/tube]

For some reason I cannot see the link--- IM. My PC system does this sometimes. I dunno? It is the same way with U-Tube videos---I can't see them, either. :lol:

BTW, I can't stand "Bongo drums." LOL.

P.S. ~ I don't question that it is wrong, at all. I just really don't know what it is. :lol

• Members

IAM4given wrote:

if two men are equally qualified by Biblical standards to be a deacon and one is a veteran and one is not a veteran - then I think the preference ought to go to the one who is a veteran.

No, the preference should go to whom the Holy Spirit leads. Not to whom we think that it should go to.

Look in Acts 1:15-26
15 And in those days Peter stood up in the midst of the disciples, and said, (the number of names together were about an hundred and twenty,)
16 Men and brethren, this scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake before concerning Judas, which was guide to them that took Jesus.
17 For he was numbered with us, and had obtained part of this ministry.
18 Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.
19 And it was known unto all the dwellers at Jerusalem; insomuch as that field is called in their proper tongue, Aceldama, that is to say, The field of blood.
20 For it is written in the book of Psalms, Let his habitation be desolate, and let no man dwell therein: and his bishoprick let another take.
21 Wherefore of these men which have companied with us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us,
22 Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of his resurrection.
23 And they appointed two, Joseph called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias.
24 And they prayed, and said, Thou, Lord, which knowest the hearts of all men, shew whether of these two thou hast chosen,
25 That he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place.
26 And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

Now, look at verse 24 especially, It says that they prayed to the Lord, that He would show whom He wanted.
When they cast their lots, (or as we do today in conducting church business....they voted) the Lord chose Matthias.
Just where do we as members of the church, think that we can elect someone to a church office, without following the Lord's leading?

If the Lord has led the church to elect a veteran to hold office then so be it. BUT, if the Lord leads to someone else being elected, and the church does contrary to the Lord's leading, then that church is not right with the Lord, and the Lord will hold the pastor accountable.