• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How strongly would you try to dissuade a 17-year old from getting an eyebrow barbell?

• Administrators

If it were my son, there'd be no dissuading - there'd be just an outright no. =) And that no would stay in effect until the son moved out of the house to live on his own. But, I really have no fear of that being a problem. He's almost 24 and never shown an interest in any body piercings.

• Members

If it were my son, there'd be no dissuading - there'd be just an outright no. =) And that no would stay in effect until the son moved out of the house to live on his own. But, I really have no fear of that being a problem. He's almost 24 and never shown an interest in any body piercings.

Happy Christian:

Okay, ty.

Doesn't sound like a particularly good idea to me, an eyebrow barbell. (Maybe not as bad as some of the other piercings, but hardly a good idea. A case of where to draw the line for someone almost 18, who's likely to grow out of such a phase anyway.)

• Administrators

Even at almost 18, the person is still a minor, still under the parental roof. Saying no is a good place to draw the line. ;) And it isn't always just a phase. It's a fashion that I've seen people in their 60's succumb to, thinking it makes them look cool (not in the brow, though, rather in the ear).

• Members

Even at almost 18, the person is still a minor, still under the parental roof. Saying no is a good place to draw the line. ;) And it isn't always just a phase. It's a fashion that I've seen people in their 60's succumb to, thinking it makes them look cool (not in the brow, though, rather in the ear).

Happy Christian:

Yes, well, this is one way of dealing with it, I guess. Appreciate your comments, anyhow.

Some would say, wait until the 18th b-day and they will probably go do it anyway, with no control over how clean the needle is, etc.

Blessings. Edited by farouk

• Members

Well, as I said earlier, if the 18 year old still lived under my roof, there'd be no brow bar - clean needle or not. ;)

Happy Christian:

Okay, point taken. :)

In these days of diseases, would it be better if someone put it through that knew what they were doing. (Even though it might ideally be preferable if it wasn't done at all...)

These days they also seem to like it through the ear cartilage. (You mentioned earring, too) Maybe a cartilage one would be 'better', if this is the right word. Oh well. A live issue running through many, many households...

Blessings. Edited by farouk

• Members

First thing I wouldn't do would be to make a big deal out of it.

As the father of seven children, four of whom are teenagers, things like this come up all the time (not body piercing, thank goodness). I usually just pull out the ol' photo album and show them pictures of me with my bell bottoms, long hair, mullet, my earring, my vest (remember the early 90's when we decided that vests and bolo ties were a good idea?), my acid washed jeans, the leather pants, my wife's feathered hair, big hair, shoulder pads on ladies' dresses, etc. and I ask them how long they think those fads lasted. They usually laugh say something like, "That's so goofy looking. How could you possibly have thought that looked cool?" That's the part where I say, "BINGO!"

Take that for what it's worth but, so far, it's kept my daughters from looking like Lydia the Tattooed Lady and my sons from looking like my daughters.

That having been said, if they did get a piercing, it wouldn't really be a big deal. As long as I can resist the urge to stick refridgerator magnets to their face while they're asleep, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Just remember, the bigger deal you make out of something, the more children are going to want to do it.

Edited by Auburn88

• Members

First thing I wouldn't do would be to make a big deal out of it.

As the father of seven children, four of whom are teenagers, things like this come up all the time (not body piercing, thank goodness). I usually just pull out the ol' photo album and show them pictures of me with my bell bottoms, long hair, mullet, my earring, my vest (remember the early 90's when we decided that vests and bolo ties were a good idea?), my acid washed jeans, the leather pants, my wife's feathered hair, big hair, shoulder pads on ladies' dresses, etc. and I ask them how long they think those fads lasted. They usually laugh say something like, "That's so goofy looking. How could you possibly have thought that looked cool?" That's the part where I say, "BINGO!"

Take that for what it's worth but, so far, it's kept my daughters from looking like Lydia the Tattooed Lady and my sons from looking like my daughters.
That having been said, if they did get a piercing, it wouldn't really be a big deal. As long as I can resist the urge to stick refridgerator magnets to their face while they're asleep, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Just remember, the bigger deal you make out of something, the more children are going to want to do it.

Auburn88:

Ty.

it's the kind of thing that is very widespread, isn't it. My thing is, I guess, if there isn't a clear moral and spiritual issue at stake, then the focus may need to shift just a bit to disease and injury prevention.

i.e., getting a trained person to do it safely.

But I don't know. :unsure:

(The Lydia ref., above, is kind of another ball game, right? at least a ring can be removed months or years down the line....) Edited by farouk

• Members

Yes, from the perspective of Scripture.

John81:

What Happy Christian said was quite sensible and valid, though, re-reading the posts again, there weren't any specific, Scripture references.

There could also be a case put for an older, more mature person making sure that a young and naive person doesn't let a young and naive person use a not very clean needle, which could cause an disease or damage a nerve or artery, and instead quietly recommend the services of someone who knows what is what, to put the barbell in. (Not that I think it's a good idea, overall.) This is to look at the matter from a slightly different, though I trust, responsible also, perspective.

Auburn88 emphasized that the whole thing isn't such a big deal if it does happen, although I'm gathering that you think it would be.

Blessings.

• Members

John81:

What Happy Christian said was quite sensible and valid, though, re-reading the posts again, there weren't any specific, Scripture references.

There could also be a case put for an older, more mature person making sure that a young and naive person doesn't let a young and naive person use a not very clean needle, which could cause an disease or damage a nerve or artery, and instead quietly recommend the services of someone who knows what is what, to put the barbell in. (Not that I think it's a good idea, overall.) This is to look at the matter from a slightly different, though I trust, responsible also, perspective.

Auburn88 emphasized that the whole thing isn't such a big deal if it does happen, although I'm gathering that you think it would be.

Blessings.

LuAnne could have cited Scripture but what she put forth was based upon biblical principle. Scripture declares clearly that parents are to be obeyed by their children. If ones children are living under the roof of the parents they are to obey their parents.

Scripture is also clear it's the parents duty to raise their children right. That doesn't include telling them to do something the parent says not to do, or that is wrong or that is a sin, in a "more safe" manner.

Flirting with the world and embracing the world is sin.