• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Extreme heat warning up here

• Members

Well, up here in this part of Canada there is going to be an extreme heat warning tomorrow, apparently.

(You guys that go to Key West won't be impressed, mind....)

I lived in Key West for about two years. The joke was always that the bars were always packed, but nobody drank. They just went there for the air conditioning.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I lived in Key West for about two years. The joke was always that the bars were always packed, but nobody drank. They just went there for the air conditioning.

Auburn88: A bit like the trick of playing complete silence on a juke box....

The past day or so it's been just a teeny bit cooler up here, anyway....

• Members

It's actually been warmer at home in SW MO for the past few days than where I'm working down in Amarillo.

Well I guess that some of TX is a bit higher than the lowlands of MO (but what do I know?) Still, near the Gulf coast, you would have thought that the heat would have been greater.

• Members

Amarillo is up in the panhandle near OK & NM. The locals say they've had "maybe" 1 inch of rain here all year. Been hot and dry here (unlike hot and muggy in SW MO).

My wife is from in and around Amarillo and I've spent time around San Antonio. Very different heat there than what is in Missouri!

• Members

My wife is from in and around Amarillo and I've spent time around San Antonio. Very different heat there than what is in Missouri!

Most definitely. SW MO is more like what I grew up with back in suburban Chicago.
My first job with my new company had me traveling to AZ, just south of Bullhead City. Was there in May and I don't recall too many days then when the high was lower than 100.....but it was a dry heat. Got up to 112 while I was there, and according to a pastor I met at a church that I attended while I worked out there, they had a run of 115-120's this month. Just seemed odd that each time I left there at 4am to drive to the Las Vegas airport to come home it was in the low 90's.

• Members

Most definitely. SW MO is more like what I grew up with back in suburban Chicago.
My first job with my new company had me traveling to AZ, just south of Bullhead City. Was there in May and I don't recall too many days then when the high was lower than 100.....but it was a dry heat. Got up to 112 while I was there, and according to a pastor I met at a church that I attended while I worked out there, they had a run of 115-120's this month. Just seemed odd that each time I left there at 4am to drive to the Las Vegas airport to come home it was in the low 90's.

You have a job that takes you to Vegas airport at 4AM?

I guess you are very determined, heat or no heat.....

• Members

You have a job that takes you to Vegas airport at 4AM?

I guess you are very determined, heat or no heat.....

My job has me away from home for 8-10 days at a time. When I was working in AZ, my flights out of Vegas were at 7am, and it was a 2 hour drive to get there, so I didn't have much of a choice, lol. Just a long drive through the desert...

I've been in Amarillo since early June (home every 8 days), and will be on this assignment through August. Hoping I'll be set up to work from home in September (or at least maybe a different assignment/location).

• Members

My job has me away from home for 8-10 days at a time. When I was working in AZ, my flights out of Vegas were at 7am, and it was a 2 hour drive to get there, so I didn't have much of a choice, lol. Just a long drive through the desert...

I've been in Amarillo since early June (home every 8 days), and will be on this assignment through August. Hoping I'll be set up to work from home in September (or at least maybe a different assignment/location).

cubfan1969:

So (pardon my asking), what did you do for fellowship in a place like Vegas? Like, I know there are good hotel deals there, and if my wife and I went there for vacation to make trips into the mountains, see the Hoover Dam, etc., it might be a possibility.

But Vegas as a place seems in some ways a bit, shall we say, inhospitable from the spiritual point of view?

(I guess I wouldn't refuse to work there if there was a job there.) Edited by farouk

• Members

cubfan1969:

So (pardon my asking), what did you do for fellowship in a place like Vegas? Like, I know there are good hotel deals there, and if my wife and I went there for vacation to make trips into the mountains, see the Hoover Dam, etc., it might be a possibility.

But Vegas as a place seems in some ways a bit, shall we say, inhospitable from the spiritual point of view?

(I guess I wouldn't refuse to work there if there was a job there.)

I was only in Vegas long enough to fly in/out, never strayed outside of the airport. My job/assignment was down in Fort Mohave, AZ, about a 2-hour drive south of Vegas. Found a good little IFB church while I worked in AZ, and it happened to be right across the street from where I was working. Good church, good people, good preaching.

• Members

I was only in Vegas long enough to fly in/out, never strayed outside of the airport. My job/assignment was down in Fort Mohave, AZ, about a 2-hour drive south of Vegas. Found a good little IFB church while I worked in AZ, and it happened to be right across the street from where I was working. Good church, good people, good preaching.

cubfan1969:

Just goes to show that one should never be prejudiced by places, or by the impression of places that the media gives, right?

I'm not sure how much I could endure the desert for a long time, especially in the summer, if there was no strong reason to be there, though.

Blessings.

• Members

The desert is pretty when your just passing though, I crossed it many times in my truck driving days on both the southern and northern route.

I recall one time this side of El Paso my truck got hot, that was in the late 70's I believe, and there was only one service station out in the middle of nowhere. They charged me $5.00 for water to go in my radiator. I was glad to pay it, there was no other place to get water. That was my 1st time to ever pay for water.

• Members

The desert is pretty when your just passing though, I crossed it many times in my truck driving days on both the southern and northern route.

I recall one time this side of El Paso my truck got hot, that was in the late 70's I believe, and there was only one service station out in the middle of nowhere. They charged me $5.00 for water to go in my radiator. I was glad to pay it, there was no other place to get water. That was my 1st time to ever pay for water.

I guess water in the middle of the desert is as valuable as oil...

(Not sure I would want to be a pedestrian crossing from El Paso to Ciudad Juarez, though.....)