• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is it ever right to lie?

• Members

One thing for sure, it takes faith to tell the truth, it takes no faith to lie.

Two quotes from last Sunday's Church Bulletin.

People say, “These days God does not want people to die for Him but to live for Him.” Find me the chapter and verse for that. If you follow Jesus, it is Calvary, Gethsemane, shame, reproach, first the cross, after a while the crown.

Today Christians praise the person that will do anything, including denying Jesus to save his life Them the man that will give His life for Christ we call him a fool. Read Matthew 10:33; Luke 12:9

:amen: That is so right!

I recall reading in what is now considered a classic, The Hiding Room, how one of Corrie Ten Boom's sisters refused to lie (on more than one occasion) saying if we obey God we can trust Him with what happens. In each case Corrie said she didn't have that much faith and thought her sister was wrong but in each case her sister was exactly right and God did what seemed humanly impossible.

Today much of what is preached about Christianity is a "comfortable Christianity". Forget about any idea of really suffering for Christ, it's often preached that we are to live our Christianity in such a non-offensive way that everyone will like us. Not at all what Scripture says!

In fact, Scripture says that those who actually follow Jesus WILL suffer persecution. Scripture says that trouble will come our way and that if we are truly following Christ a lot of people won't like us.

Today it is taught to hide the truths of Christianity in order not to upset somone or make them feel uncomfortable.

Billy Graham gave such advice to President Bush the Second. Early in his presidency, Bush the Second was asked by a Jew if he believed Jesus was the only Way and Bush answered "yes". Of course that caused an uproar and even many in his own family told him he shouldn't have said that and should never say it again. I think it was Bush the Second's mother who called Billy Graham and asked him to talk to the president about. Billy said that it was his OPINION that what the president said was true but since it was only an OPINION and Billy believed it was possible God might decided to save people of other "faiths" some other way, that President Bush the Second should not again say Jesus is the only Way, but rather he should ACKNOWLEDGE that other faiths lead to God as well!

• Members

One thing for sure, it takes faith to tell the truth, it takes no faith to lie.

Two quotes from last Sunday's Church Bulletin.

People say, “These days God does not want people to die for Him but to live for Him.” Find me the chapter and verse for that. If you follow Jesus, it is Calvary, Gethsemane, shame, reproach, first the cross, after a while the crown.

Today Christians praise the person that will do anything, including denying Jesus to save his life Them the man that will give His life for Christ we call him a fool. Read Matthew 10:33; Luke 12:9

I would say that He wants us to live for Him and be willing to die for Him any time that we need to. Certainly the Bible teaches us that we must be willing to give our lives for Him. Sadly too many don't understand that; sadly too many don't want to understand that.

• Members

Many feel s that Christian life is all about the 'Good Life,' 'Better Life,' without troubles, tribulations, sacrifices, and having everything that is nice and good.

And many from past generations have taught this to their children, and when that did not come, they dropped their faith in Jesus like a hot potato, some of them putting all their faith in self and joining up with a church that preaches and teaches the feel good message.

• Members

1Kings 22:18 And the king of Israel said unto Jehoshaphat, Did I not tell thee that he would prophesy no good concerning me, but evil?

19And he said, Hear thou therefore the word of the LORD: I saw the LORD sitting on his throne, and all the host of heaven standing by him on his right hand and on his left.

20And the LORD said, Who shall persuade Ahab, that he may go up and fall at Ramothgilead? And one said on this manner, and another said on that manner.

21And there came forth a spirit, and stood before the LORD, and said, I will persuade him.

22And the LORD said unto him, Wherewith? And he said, I will go forth, and I will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And he said, Thou shalt persuade him, and prevail also: go forth, and do so.

23Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil concerning thee.

2 Chronicles 18:18 Again he said, Therefore hear the word of the LORD; I saw the LORD sitting upon his throne, and all the host of heaven standing on his right hand and on his left.

19And the LORD said, Who shall entice Ahab king of Israel, that he may go up and fall at Ramothgilead? And one spake saying after this manner, and another saying after that manner.

20Then there came out a spirit, and stood before the LORD, and said, I will entice him. And the LORD said unto him, Wherewith?

21And he said, I will go out, and be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And the Lord said, Thou shalt entice him, and thou shalt also prevail: go out, and do even so.

22Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil against thee.

I think those of you that believe lying is always wrong should address these verses that Kleptes posted. Wouldn't sending a lying spirit go against God's character?

• Members

I think those of you that believe lying is always wrong should address these verses that Kleptes posted. Wouldn't sending a lying spirit go against God's character?

Not any more than hardening Pharaoh's heart or allow the devil to kill Job's children and torment him.

The simple fact is that God makes it perfectly clear that lying is a sin. We should never put our faith in lies or our ability to lie rather than in God's ability to work wonders when we obey Him.

• Members

If God approved lying, them He would be approving of sin, God never approves sin, never! Remember, there was no sin found in Jesus, all it would have taken is one little white lies, them He would not have been sinless, them Jesus would not have been the perfect sacrifice.

1Pe 2:22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:

You cannot be Christ like by telling lies.

• Members

If God approved lying, them He would be approving of sin, God never approves sin, never! Remember, there was no sin found in Jesus, all it would have taken is one little white lies, them He would not have been sinless, them Jesus would not have been the perfect sacrifice.

1Pe 2:22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:

You cannot be Christ like by telling lies.

:amen: That's a fact most Christians don't want to even think about. Especially among American Christians it's popular to believe "we can do all things". The problem is, they leave out the key point of Phil. 4:13, "through Christ"! It's only through Christ that we can do all things. This needs to be coupled with Jesus' own words telling us that we can doing nothing apart from Him.

If we decide that our sinning will make things better or right and "help God", we have stopped walking with Christ and put our faith in ourselves and sin!

• Members

Not any more than hardening Pharaoh's heart or allow the devil to kill Job's children and torment him.

The simple fact is that God makes it perfectly clear that lying is a sin. We should never put our faith in lies or our ability to lie rather than in God's ability to work wonders when we obey Him.

Answer me this. Was God looking for someone to entice Ahab? When the spirit came forward and said i will do so, did God okay it? If God did not okay it, show me where He says no do not go. If God is asking for someone to entice/persuade Ahab that means He asking for a deceiver. If God say go and do it, It means he has approved it right? Jacob lied to his father for inheritance was he blessed? Was Jacob wrong in doing so? Yes, but he still got the blessing regarless.

• Members

:amen: That's a fact most Christians don't want to even think about. Especially among American Christians it's popular to believe "we can do all things". The problem is, they leave out the key point of Phil. 4:13, "through Christ"! It's only through Christ that we can do all things. This needs to be coupled with Jesus' own words telling us that we can doing nothing apart from Him.

If we decide that our sinning will make things better or right and "help God", we have stopped walking with Christ and put our faith in ourselves and sin!

Is that a fact? That most Christian don't want to think about? If so why are you calling them christian? Lying is wrong no two ways about it. Your last sentence. " If we decide that our sinning will make things better or right and "help God", we have stopped walking with Christ and put our faith in ourselves and sin!" Im confused on which sins. Because in another post it seems that last statement contradicts your argument on living in adultery then marrying that person and the marriage is approved of God.

• Members

Two more passages for consideration

"1 Samuel 16:1 And the LORD said unto Samuel, How long wilt thou mourn for Saul, seeing I have rejected him from reigning over Israel? fill thine horn with oil, and go, I will send thee to Jesse the Bethlehemite: for I have provided me a king among his sons.
2 And Samuel said, How can I go? if Saul hear it, he will kill me. And the LORD said, Take an heifer with thee, and say, I am come to sacrifice to the LORD.
3 And call Jesse to the sacrifice, and I will shew thee what thou shalt do: and thou shalt anoint unto me him whom I name unto thee."

"Jeremiah 38:14 Then Zedekiah the king sent, and took Jeremiah the prophet unto him into the third entry that is in the house of the LORD: and the king said unto Jeremiah, I will ask thee a thing; hide nothing from me.
15 Then Jeremiah said unto Zedekiah, If I declare it unto thee, wilt thou not surely put me to death? and if I give thee counsel, wilt thou not hearken unto me?
16 So Zedekiah the king sware secretly unto Jeremiah, saying, As the LORD liveth, that made us this soul, I will not put thee to death, neither will I give thee into the hand of these men that seek thy life.
17 Then said Jeremiah unto Zedekiah, Thus saith the LORD, the God of hosts, the God of Israel; If thou wilt assuredly go forth unto the king of Babylon's princes, then thy soul shall live, and this city shall not be burned with fire; and thou shalt live, and thine house:
18 But if thou wilt not go forth to the king of Babylon's princes, then shall this city be given into the hand of the Chaldeans, and they shall burn it with fire, and thou shalt not escape out of their hand.
19 And Zedekiah the king said unto Jeremiah, I am afraid of the Jews that are fallen to the Chaldeans, lest they deliver me into their hand, and they mock me.
20 But Jeremiah said, They shall not deliver thee. Obey, I beseech thee, the voice of the LORD, which I speak unto thee: so it shall be well unto thee, and thy soul shall live.
21 But if thou refuse to go forth, this is the word that the LORD hath shewed me:
22 And, behold, all the women that are left in the king of Judah's house shall be brought forth to the king of Babylon's princes, and those women shall say, Thy friends have set thee on, and have prevailed against thee: thy feet are sunk in the mire, and they are turned away back.
23 So they shall bring out all thy wives and thy children to the Chaldeans: and thou shalt not escape out of their hand, but shalt be taken by the hand of the king of Babylon: and thou shalt cause this city to be burned with fire.
24 Then said Zedekiah unto Jeremiah, Let no man know of these words, and thou shalt not die.
25 But if the princes hear that I have talked with thee, and they come unto thee, and say unto thee, Declare unto us now what thou hast said unto the king, hide it not from us, and we will not put thee to death; also what the king said unto thee:
26 Then thou shalt say unto them, I presented my supplication before the king, that he would not cause me to return to Jonathan's house, to die there.
27 Then came all the princes unto Jeremiah, and asked him: and he told them according to all these words that the king had commanded. So they left off speaking with him; for the matter was not perceived. "

Concerning the latter passage, Jeremiah had already been in and out of prison for speaking the word of the Lord and I doubt he would have done as the king instructed him to do if it was wrong to do so.

• Members

Are some of you saying you believe God wants us to lie (sin), at certain times? That would contradict every passage of Scripture (and there are many) which condemn lies and liars. Is God double-minded?

Saying that someone committed a particular sin but was yet blessed in no way condones the sin or makes the committing of that sin right. King David committed adultery, murder and other sins and yet was blessed. Was he blessed because he sinned? NO! He was blessed in spite of his sins.

Did Jacob eventually receive the blessings God had already promised to him? Yes. However, look at the terrible price his sin caused and consider the great glory of God that was not allowed to show forth because he failed to simply trust God to provide what He had promised.

Many other stories show the great cost of trying to help God through sinning rather than trusting in God to perform that which He has declared. The life of Abraham is full of lessons on this.

God is Almighty. He can and does work even through the wicked and disobedient. God can use that which was sinfully done to bring about His will, but in no way does he want us to sin. Far better, and in accord with His Word, if we obey God in all things and trust in Him for the outcome.

• Members

Proverbs 26:28 A lying tongue hateth those that are afflicted by it; and a flattering mouth worketh ruin.

Test and see if this verse doesn't apply to each of the examples of lying which have been posted so far, except maybe for the "lying spirit" passage.

• Members

Ps 119:163 I hate and abhor lying: but thy law do I love.

Pr 6:16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
Pr 6:17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
Pr 6:18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
Pr 6:19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.
Pr 6:20 ¶ My son, keep thy father's commandment, and forsake not the law of thy mother:

Pr 12:19 The lip of truth shall be established for ever: but a lying tongue is but for a moment.

Pr 13:5 A righteous man hateth lying: but a wicked man is loathsome, and cometh to shame.

Pr 21:6 The getting of treasures by a lying tongue is a vanity tossed to and fro of them that seek death.

Isa 30:9 That this is a rebellious people, lying children, children that will not hear the law of the LORD:

Joh 8:44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

Go ahead and believe God will support lying, but be assured your following the old lying devil, not God.

• Members

Ps 119:163 I hate and abhor lying: but thy law do I love.

Pr 6:16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
Pr 6:17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
Pr 6:18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
Pr 6:19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.
Pr 6:20 ¶ My son, keep thy father's commandment, and forsake not the law of thy mother:

Pr 12:19 The lip of truth shall be established for ever: but a lying tongue is but for a moment.

Pr 13:5 A righteous man hateth lying: but a wicked man is loathsome, and cometh to shame.

Pr 21:6 The getting of treasures by a lying tongue is a vanity tossed to and fro of them that seek death.

Isa 30:9 That this is a rebellious people, lying children, children that will not hear the law of the LORD:

Joh 8:44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

Go ahead and believe God will support lying, but be assured your following the old lying devil, not God.

Who said they believed this?