• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Flouride in the Water?

• Members
Gideon Forman
The Hamilton Spectator
executive director
Canadian Association of Physicians for the Environment
(Nov 18, 2008)

Re: 'Halton might pull plug on fluoridated water' (Nov. 14)

On behalf of the 3,500 members of the Canadian Association of Physicians for the Environment, I'm writing to support the proposed ban on fluoride in Halton's drinking water.

The decline in caries (cavities) in communities that are fluoridated has been significant -- but so is the decline in communities that are not fluoridated. For example, B.C. drinking water is 95 per cent nonfluoridated, whereas drinking water in Alberta is 75 per cent fluoridated; yet the two provinces have similar rates of caries.

Fluoridation comes with significant risks. Animal studies have shown the chemical is a potential immunotoxin, embryotoxin and neurotoxin. Because fluoridation is unlikely to be the cause of caries decline in North America and because the potential for adverse effects is real, we believe fluoridation of drinking water is scientifically untenable.
http://www.thespec.com/Opinions/Lettert ... cle/468215

1) According to the National Toxicology Program, "the preponderance of evidence" from laboratory 'in vitro' studies indicate that fluoride is a mutagenic compound.

2) Many substances which are mutagens, are also carcinogens (i.e. they can cause cancer).

3) While the concentrations of fluoride causing mutagenic damage in the in vitro studies is higher than the concentrations found in human blood, there are certain "microenvironments" in the body (e.g. the bones) where the concentrations of fluoride can accumulate to levels comparable to, or in excess of, those causing mutagenic effects in the laboratory.

4) A study comparing fluoride's ability to cause mutagenic damage in cells from apes and humans versus cells from rodents, found that the cells from apes and human were much more sensitive to fluoride's mutagenic effects

5) Five studies on fluoride-exposed humans, published since 1994, have reported an increased incidence of mutagenic damage when compared to comparable controls. Two studies conducted during this period did not find this effect. The primary type of mutagenic damage found in fluoride-exposed humans was sister chromatid exchange. http://www.fluoridealert.org/health/cancer/mutagen.html

And we just love to put it in our water.

• Members

I hate city water, I can smell it before I ever put it to my lips. We've been on well water for years. If you are on a private well, you probably already know what I am talking about, for those who are on city water, here's a little suggestion for an experiment: Drink nothing but plain flavorless seltzer water for a week, have no contact with bottled water or tap water. After a week run a glass of cold tap water and smell it, you won't even need to taste it to know how nasty it is.

C

• Members

The best water I've ever tasted in my life was from our old well in the old house we lived in until I was 10. That water was always cold and tasted wonderful. I really don't care for tap water and in some places it's so bad I can't hardly believe people pay for it.

• Members

We have a refrigerator with water in the door. We have a changeable filter on the water line itself in the basement and then the "frig" has a changeable filter on-board, giving us twice filtered water. We absolutely love its taste and absence of any odor whatsoever.