• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

I got a poem about the Lord's coming

• Members

Here it is:

"Perhaps today"

'Perhaps today, from every clime and nation
Shall souls redeemed ascend to meet their Lord.
To suffering ones, great, glad emancipation,
To those who toil for Him, a sure reward.

We look not down a track of unknown years,
It may be that today our Lord appears.'

(Not sure who wrote it.)

• Members
This poem was written in the late 1800's. The last verse describes conditions on this earth. Has anything changed?? I don't think so!

Perhaps Today!

Perhaps today! shall sound the mystic summons,
The shout, the voice, the trump, not by all heard;
And, from their scattered silent resting places,
The dead in Christ will rise to meet the Lord;
While we, the ransomed living, in a moment
Shall be caught up--according to His Word.

Perhaps today! from every clime and nation,
Shall souls redeemed ascend to meet the Lord;
To suffering ones--great, glad emancipation;
We look not down a track of unknown years;
It may be that today our Lord appears.

Perhaps today! with problems fresh outbreaking,
With growing evils rampant o'er the earth,
When sore distress, nigh every land is shaking--
Perhaps today! the Saviour may come forth.
Earth's leaders fail; the forces are too great;
But, lift your heads, the Lord is at the gate!
--Selected

This poem was written in the late 1800's. The last verse describes conditions on this earth. Has anything changed?? I don't think so!

I'm trying to locate the source.

• Members

Perhaps Today!

Perhaps today! shall sound the mystic summons,
The shout, the voice, the trump, not by all heard;
And, from their scattered silent resting places,
The dead in Christ will rise to meet the Lord;
While we, the ransomed living, in a moment
Shall be caught up--according to His Word.

Perhaps today! from every clime and nation,
Shall souls redeemed ascend to meet the Lord;
To suffering ones--great, glad emancipation;
We look not down a track of unknown years;
It may be that today our Lord appears.

Perhaps today! with problems fresh outbreaking,
With growing evils rampant o'er the earth,
When sore distress, nigh every land is shaking--
Perhaps today! the Saviour may come forth.
Earth's leaders fail; the forces are too great;
But, lift your heads, the Lord is at the gate!
--Selected

I'm trying to locate the source.

Hey thanks, Mr or Ms C!!!! I didn't know that there were other verses, too.

Appreciate it very much!!! :)

(I learn something every day...) Edited by farouk

• Members

I've known one of those verses for years anyway and I first saw it on an old frame, which when I think about it must have witnessed all sorts of events. We need to keep looking above. We don't need to get bogged down in 'newspaper exegesis' and take our eyes of the Lord. 'Perhaps today'!

• Members

We agree - there will be no specific signs to indicate the Lord's return. We are commanded Mar 13:33 Take ye heed, watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is. The signs of Mat.24, Mark 13 & Luke 21 were to prepare the Jerusalem Christians for their flight before the AD 70 destruction.

Mat 24:35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
36 ¶ But of that day and hour knoweth no [man], no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

Luk 21:20 ¶ And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.
21 Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.
22 For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.

Whatever we may see as signs of his immanent return, we cannot flee to the mountains - we are commanded to live as faithful servants of our Lord, always ready.

• Members

Invicta:

Are you talking about the secret Rapture (1 Thess. 4)? or the Lord's coming in power and glory?

Quite right, Invicta, there is no "secret rapture" in Scripture in the sense the disps use it.

We could think of the Christian's death as a kind of secret rapture into our Lord's presence in glory, or the rapture of communion with our Lord in secret prayer, but Paul in Thessalonians teaches the resurrection as believers are raised for glory & unbelievers raised for judgment when our Lord comes again.

• Members

Actually there is a clear emphasis in Scripture between the aspect of the Lord's coming which is in power and glory, and the aspect which relates to the church, raptures to His presence. So you could say that these are sound, dispensational distinctions.

• Members

Actually there is a clear emphasis in Scripture between the aspect of the Lord's coming which is in power and glory, and the aspect which relates to the church, raptures to His presence. So you could say that these are sound, dispensational distinctions.

I know dispensationalists make such a distinction, but I have asked for the "clear Scriptures" many times on this & other forums. If you know of any, I would be delighted to consider them.

• Members

I know dispensationalists make such a distinction, but I have asked for the "clear Scriptures" many times on this & other forums. If you know of any, I would be delighted to consider them.

C:

Questions to ask: Who is in view? the church or the world or Israel? What are heavenly blessings? what are earthly blessings (they don't always exclude each other but there are distinctions). 1 Thess. 4 isn't talking about unbelievers under judgment, or Israel in the land. It's talking about a heavenly people to be rapture to Christ.