• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Children of correctional officers tasered during "Take Your

• Members

I heard about this and thought no way. We just had a drug kingpin order a hit from jail with a cell phone he got smuggled in by correction guards, here in Baltimore. It sounds like criminals watching criminals.

• Members

Its stupid. I will say that shocking around a circle was done in "older days" as a party game...see the Laura Ingalls books actually....but in today's society its dumb to try it.

• Members

I used to be a correctional officer here in Virginia a let me tell you, except for one bad prison that was shut down, the prison system here is real tight. This isn't California or New Jersey where the inmates are allowed to have whatever they want when they want it. This is why the prison population is so low in Virginia compared to some other states. Nobody wants to go to jail.

• Members

Baltimore is horrible. They just found out that many of the guards are members of the same gang that rules the Baltimore and Hagerstown prisons and jails. I didn't mean to say all DOC's were bad just the ones around here.

• Members

Remember, this was "take your kid to work day". Parents were there and consented. And most officials who operate a taser must put themselves through the shock as part of their training. So in a way, they were just showing their kids exactly what their job duties consisted of. I don't think it's as bad as it sounds. They were also in a circle (40 kids?), so I doubt the effect was all that severe.

• Members
Remember' date=' this was "take your kid to work day". Parents were there and consented. And most officials who operate a taser must put themselves through the shock as part of their training. So in a way, they were just showing their kids exactly what their job duties consisted of. I don't think it's as bad as it sounds. They were also in a circle (40 kids?), so I doubt the effect was all that severe.[/quote']

When I read the above statement, I thought that perhaps not all of the parents consented. When my hubby has had take your child to work day, the kids move from activity station to activity station and they are not always right with the parent--especially if there are several siblings in differing age ranges who want to do different things. Oh, and when you say "not as bad as it sounds", what if a couple of law-enforcement officers who attended your church put on an activity booth at a one of your church functions demonstrating how tasers worked on children? You know what would happen to them--they'd be arrested for child abuse. It's all relative.

• Members

I just don't get it, before an officer of the law can use a taser on anyone, they have to have it used on them, why don't they start making them have to be shot with the gun they carry before they can shoot anyone with it? One makes just about as much sense as the other.

And it never makes sense to taser children, that's stupid.

• Members

I've been tasered three times and one time I had to do it to myself. It hurt but not as much as the media makes it out to be. Also, the more fat you have the less it will hurt but the more muscle the more it will hurt. This is why it was worse to some of the men in my class more than the women. We had one lady the barely showed any expression from it. Law Enforcement tasers never go over 50,000 volts but you can by tasers up to like 300,000 volts for personal defense. Those ones will cause the bad guy to mess himself and leave him unconscious for a while.

• Members

Anyone remember the guy from Poland that flew to a Canadian airport maybe a year ago or so and died because they tasered him? I wondered if this was just a strange occurrance, so I googled death from tasers in the USA.......you'd be surprised how many have died and the numbers are rising. So.........WHY would anybody risk it and taser a child?? It has been said that it hurts more on a person who is more lean--well, children are usually more lean. The people who tasered those children lack some common sense......those are weapons meant to be used on criminals who pose a threat. It makes about as much sense as "Here, let me demonstrate on you how I use my night stick during a vicious riot." :roll I'm not saying tasers themselves are bad, indeed, they may be a valuable asset in the apprehension of criminals who might have otherwise ended up shot, but they should not be used on children for "sport". (I am certain no 8yr. old or pre-teen would volunteer to experience such a thing if they knew ahead of time how much it hurt--just ask any child about getting immunizations!)

• Members
Anyone remember the guy from Poland that flew to a Canadian airport maybe a year ago or so and died because they tasered him? I wondered if this was just a strange occurrance' date=' so I googled death from tasers in the USA.......you'd be surprised how many have died and the numbers are rising. So.........WHY would anybody risk it and taser a child?? It has been said that it hurts more on a person who is more lean--well, children are usually more lean. The people who tasered those children lack some common sense......those are weapons meant to be used on criminals who pose a threat. It makes about as much sense as "Here, let me demonstrate on you how I use my night stick during a vicious riot." :roll I'm not saying tasers themselves are bad, indeed, they may be a valuable asset in the apprehension of criminals who might have otherwise ended up shot, but they should not be used on children for "sport". (I am certain no 8yr. old or pre-teen would volunteer to experience such a thing if they knew ahead of time how much it hurt--just ask any child about getting immunizations!)[/quote']

The taser cannot kill you unless you already have a bad heart. And even then I'm not sure it can. Most of the times folks are killed when being tasered it's because they where resisting arrest and ended up being suffocated by the police officers piling on him/her to get him/her to stop fighting. Ususally in this case they blame the stun gun. This is because liberals don't not want police to have any means whatsover to stop the bad guy. They can't use a guy (in Hagerstown, MD the cops could only carry one round in their gun) or club because they are lethal. So we get them tasers. Well, now they can't use them. They can't punch the bad guy oruse unauthorized judo moves to subdue the bad guy. It's crazy. If you don't want to die THEN DON'T RESIST.

• Members

I think everyone summed this up well. STUPID.

As for the Taser killing people, it doesnt. It has no effect on the heart or vital organs. It only affects the major muscle groups. Voltage is not dangerous. Amps is what is dangerous. The Amps in a Taser is under half and amp. A vaccum cleaner runs on 12 amps. The kids were not in danger, it is just a stupid thing for supposed professionals or any adult to do.

Wilchba summed it up. People who died usually have underlying health issues. There is a syndrome called medebolic acidosis (sp). These folks are druggers and are walking dead. They fight and get their BP up and when they come to rest their heart stops. This has occured for years from hands on to pepper spray, nothing new. Taser has never been found liable in a wrongful death suit because the autopsies prove the Taser had nothing to do with the death.

Yup, been Tased, was a Taser instructor. Made me scream like a girl then laugh when it was turned off. Personally these empolyees need to be fired asap.

DD