• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Origins of Pre-Trib Rapture Teaching

• Members

In my studies I am always looking for resources for end times events. I have been looking for some writings regarding Pre-Trib rapture prior to the early 1800's. If any of you have any articles or reference to any commentary written regarding Pre-Trib rapture prior to the 1800's I would love a link, or name of a book. I realize some will say the Bible is where it is found so I thought I'd go ahead and say, o.k. to that, but please show me where some men of God in times past (prior to the 1800's) have made some record of comment thereto.

Thanks,
Bro. Ben

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I am reading a really good book on the rapture by Dr. Renald E. Showers. The name of this book is "Maranatha! Our Lord, Come!" The subtitle says "A Definitive Study of the Rapture of the Church". One of the chapters is called "Behold, The Bridegroom Comes!" It describes how the pre-tribulation rapture of the Church is analogous with Jewish marriage wedding customs...based on John 14:1-3.

Dr. Renald Showers is a professor and international conference speaker for The Friends of Israel Gospel Ministry, Inc., and a contributing editor for Israel My Glory magazine.

• Members

I appreciate you comments, Jerry, but I was looking for those who taught a pretrib rapture, clearly, unmistabably, prior to the 1800's. I have been reading the quotes on the (good) link Seth gave, but none of them are clear references to a pretrib rapture. Actually, they lend to a prewrath rapture.

Ben

• Members
I appreciate you comments, Jerry, but I was looking for those who taught a pretrib rapture, clearly, unmistabably, prior to the 1800's. I have been reading the quotes on the (good) link Seth gave, but none of them are clear references to a pretrib rapture. Actually, they lend to a prewrath rapture.

Ben

I know there are those who claim prior to the 1800's and or somewhere in that time period that pretrib rapture was not taught by no one.

That is their only defense in trying to get people to accept their view of when the rapture will take place. It does amaze me at the many people who will sallow such a flimsy defense hook line and sinker. Actually my point is, the Holy Bible does teach a pretrib rapture and this teaching was way before the 1800's, so their ploy does not hold water. Hope your not one who is falling for their ploys.

I know there are those who claim prior to the 1800's and or somewhere in that time period that pretrib rapture was not taught by no one.

That is their only defense in trying to get people to accept their view of when the rapture will take place. It does amaze me at the many people who will sallow such a flimsy defense hook line and sinker. Actually my point is, the Holy Bible does teach a pretrib rapture and this teaching was way before the 1800's, so their ploy does not hold water. Hope your not one who is falling for their ploys.

:goodpost::amen: Pastor Jerry! Yes..."ploys" is exactly what they are. :-(

PreacherBen...Ezekiel...Daniel...and Revelation. :-) Please let the Holy Spirit work on your heart with this...according to the KJV 1611 AV. :smile

Romans 3:4...God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, THAT THOU MIGHTEST BE JUSTIFIED IN THY SAYINGS, AND MIGHTEST OVERCOME WHEN THOU ART JUDGED. All Have Sinned KJV 1611 AV.

• Members

All the saints and elect of God are gathered together before the tribulation, which is to come, and are taken to the Lord, in order that they may not see at any time the confusion which overwhelms the world because of our sins.

-Pseudo-Ephraem (c. 374-627)

God bless,

Calvary

• Members

Check out this link and see what you find...

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

Search Book Catalog
Title Word(s): "Christianity"

I saw a book at this site called...

A History of American Christianity, Bacon, Leonard Woolsey, 1830-1907

I no nothing about the book or author.

• Members

[quote="1Tim115"]Check out this link and see what you find...

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

Search Book Catalog
Title Word(s): "Christianity"

I saw a book at this site called...

A History of American Christianity, Bacon, Leonard Woolsey, 1830-1907

I no nothing about the book or author.[/quote]

The following is a quote from his book, an eyewitness account of events at a camp meeting in Kty...

"There, on the edge of a prairie in Logan County, Kentucky,
the multitudes came together and continued a number of days
and nights encamped on the ground, during which time worship
was carried on in some part of the encampment. The scene was
new to me and passing strange. It baffled description. Many,
very many, fell down as men slain in battle, and continued for
hours together in an apparently breathless and motionless
state, sometimes for a few moments reviving and exhibiting
symptoms of life by a deep groan or piercing shriek, or by a
prayer for mercy fervently uttered. After lying there for
hours they obtained deliverance. The gloomy cloud that had
covered their faces seemed gradually and visibly to disappear,
and hope, in smiles, brightened into joy. They would rise,
shouting deliverance, and then would address the surrounding
multitude in language truly eloquent and impressive. With
astonishment did I hear men, women, and children declaring the
wonderful works of God and the glorious mysteries of the
gospel. Their appeals were solemn, heart-penetrating, bold,
and free. Under such circumstances many others would fall down
into the same state from which the speakers had just been
delivered.

"Two or three of my particular acquaintances from a distance
were struck down. I sat patiently by one of them, whom I knew
to be a careless sinner, for hours, and observed with critical
attention everything that passed, from the beginning to the
end. I noticed the momentary revivings as from death, the
humble confession of sins, the fervent prayer, and the
ultimate deliverance; then the solemn thanks and praise to
God, and affectionate exhortation to companions and to the
people around to repent and come to Jesus. I was astonished at
the knowledge of gospel truth displayed in the address. The
effect was that several sank down into the same appearance of
death. After attending to many such cases, my conviction was
complete that it was a good work--the work of God; nor has my
mind wavered since on the subject. Much did I see then, and
much have I seen since, that I consider to be fanaticism; but
this should not condemn the work. The devil has always tried
to ape the works of God, to bring them into disrepute; but
that cannot be a Satanic work which brings men to humble
confession, to forsaking of sin, to prayer, fervent praise and
thanksgiving, and a sincere and affectionate exhortation to
sinners to repent and come to Jesus the Saviour."

interesting account...

"The Methodist and Baptist preachers aided in the
work, and all appeared cordially united in it. They were of
one mind and soul: the salvation of sinners was the one
object."

• Members

Bro. Jerry, you said:

That is what I am researching. I don't know if anyone taught it prior to the 1800's, I am looking for valid writings.

That is their only defense in trying to get people to accept their view of when the rapture will take place.

That might be the only defense of "some," but that is a poor defense.

It does amaze me at the many people who will sallow such a flimsy defense hook line and sinker. Actually my point is, the Holy Bible does teach a pretrib rapture and this teaching was way before the 1800's, so their ploy does not hold water. Hope your not one who is falling for their ploys.

Many fall for flimsy theology simply because they refuse to do any personal research AT ALL. They rely souly on the writings and sermons of those that teach their favorite view of any topic. As far as saying the Holy Bible KJVO is the origin of any teaching is equally as shallow and flimsy. Many deviant groups claim teachings that are gross error, i.e., the Mormons etc., deriving it from, you guessed it, the KJVO.

I assure you, this is probably the farthest from any reason why I tend to believe other than a pretrib rapture.

Bro. Deputy Dog, you remarked:

The only reliable record that teaches pre trib rapture is the KJV 1611. Paul wrote about it. 1 Corinthians, and Thessalonians as well as others in both old and new testament as stated in the posts above.

Using the KJV 1611, compare the following passages and see if they look similar.

1Cr 15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

1Th 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
1Th 4:17 Then we which are alive [and] remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Rev 14:14 And I looked, and behold a white cloud, and upon the cloud [one] sat like unto the Son of man, having on his head a golden crown, and in his hand a sharp sickle.
Rev 14:15 And another angel came out of the temple, crying with a loud voice to him that sat on the cloud, Thrust in thy sickle, and reap: for the time is come for thee to reap; for the harvest of the earth is ripe.
Rev 14:16 And he that sat on the cloud thrust in his sickle on the earth; and the earth was reaped.

Don't confuse the events in Rev. 14:14-16 with the following events in vss. 17-20, that is the gathering of those on earth who are going to experience the wrath of God.

So, as you see, the very passages you brought up, go hand-in-hand with the events described in the Revelation after the seventh (last) trump.

Ben

Re: Pre-Tribulation Rapture Scripture?

Postby candlelight on July 14th, 2008, 3:40 pm

Here is another scripture to keep in mind. I thessalonians 4:16...For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trumph of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: KJV. I use the Bible both as a history book of the world...and, also for life application. That scripture appears prior to book of The Revelation of Jesus Christ. We are presently in The Epistle of Jude This Epistle (letter) is only one chapter. In this chapter Apostates are Predicted. That is why it is EVER so important to keep close to the word of God... the KJV, and be faithful and obedient to the Saviour of the world.

I am glad that you are serving the Lord again. :thumb :amen:

Also, I heard this one time...and, since I am more of a simple person...I guess this will always "stick" in my mind. "Before God destroyed the earth with the flood...he told Noah to come into the ark. Before the Lord destroyed the city of Sodom and Gomorrah...he told Lot to come out of the city...and, lastly for the "true" believer he will tell us to come up into the clouds". If a person is really saved, then...the Lord will protect His children from the devastation during the Pre-Tibulation period and the Great-Tribulation. Jesus takes care of His kids...ALL the time! :wave:

candlelight

• Members
Bro. Jerry, you said:

That is what I am researching. I don't know if anyone taught it prior to the 1800's, I am looking for valid writings.

That might be the only defense of "some," but that is a poor defense.

Many fall for flimsy theology simply because they refuse to do any personal research AT ALL. They rely souly on the writings and sermons of those that teach their favorite view of any topic. As far as saying the Holy Bible KJVO is the origin of any teaching is equally as shallow and flimsy. Many deviant groups claim teachings that are gross error, i.e., the Mormons etc., deriving it from, you guessed it, the KJVO.

I assure you, this is probably the farthest from any reason why I tend to believe other than a pretrib rapture.

Bro. Deputy Dog, you remarked:

Using the KJV 1611, compare the following passages and see if they look similar.

1Cr 15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

1Th 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
1Th 4:17 Then we which are alive [and] remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Rev 14:14 And I looked, and behold a white cloud, and upon the cloud [one] sat like unto the Son of man, having on his head a golden crown, and in his hand a sharp sickle.
Rev 14:15 And another angel came out of the temple, crying with a loud voice to him that sat on the cloud, Thrust in thy sickle, and reap: for the time is come for thee to reap; for the harvest of the earth is ripe.
Rev 14:16 And he that sat on the cloud thrust in his sickle on the earth; and the earth was reaped.

Don't confuse the events in Rev. 14:14-16 with the following events in vss. 17-20, that is the gathering of those on earth who are going to experience the wrath of God.

So, as you see, the very passages you brought up, go hand-in-hand with the events described in the Revelation after the seventh (last) trump.

Ben

Remember one thing, what the RCC did, they murdered many, burned their houses, burned their churches, burned them at the stake even, who would not throw in with them, plus they burned many records, trying to wipe out all traces of those who opposed them.

So not finding something, means nothing, especially being at the KJ Bible teaches pretrib rapture, that ought to be enough for anyone, after all its of God, those you are searching for are written my mere men. The KJ Bible and Jesus is enough.