• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

New half-naked photos: Rep. Weiner calls a news conference

• Administrators

So are you confronting him with his sin, John? Is posting this on a forum truly confronting him with his sin?

I've not read the articles, and I won't. But, I must say that I truly believe this type of thing would be better placed in the men's forum. KWIM?

• Members

AMEN! Or no forum at all.

What can we do about it?
Why should it surprise us what the worldly politicians do?

Your preaching to the choir.

(the "specific" prayer that was spoken of is redundant, we pray for our leaders in all aspects.

It is the same as "national gossip"

Edited by irishman

• Members

It ought to show Christians not to have no trust in politicians, yet many do, supporting politicians with their vote, recommending them to their friends and others, and even some support them with their money who have done nothing but evil trying to gain that position of power in government. And so far, and it will continue in the future, with each generation of politicians this country will get even more corrupted. As stated in another topic on John Edwards, what the public knows about the politician is what their PR team wants you to know, and until they get caught as did Mr. Edwards, Mr. Weiner, and many others, you will never know the true person in the political office.

I feel so sorry for Mr. Weiner's wife, she did not deserve this. What little I've read about her she seems like a wonderful young woman and had no idea at all the type man she was marrying, and probably her friends did not either, nor her boss.

I might add those in politics seems to get a free pass by their fellow party members as well as their supporters. Just think of all the help Mr. Clinton had by his team to cover up his womanizing ways, along with Mr. Edwards. And with Mrs. Palin in recent days, her supporter willingly did all they could to try and change the truth written in history about Paul Revere's ride to protect her character.

In politics when you vote for and support the lesser of two evils you still support nothing but pure evil.

Our full undivided attention, and all of our faith and hope ought to be in only Jesus and not shared with any human beings or material things.

Politics, government, and those who run it, was something Jesus wanted no part of.

John 6:14 Then those men, when they had seen the miracle that Jesus did, said, This is of a truth that prophet that should come into the world.
John 6:15 ¶ When Jesus therefore perceived that they would come and take him by force, to make him a king, he departed again into a mountain himself alone.

Yet many did not understand His mission the least bit, not ever His disciples who spent so much time with Him during His earthly ministry. they kept thinking of Jesus setting up a worldly kingdom here on earth. In the above verses after Jesus had performed such a great miracle having fed the great multitude with five barley loaves, and two small fishes and after they all had been well fed there was still food left over.

The multitude seeing that He was the Messiah, with such astonishing powers wanted to by force, force Him to be their earthly king. As we know even His disciples who knew him so well kept thinking Jesus was going to set up and earthly kingdom and be their King. But Jesus by word and or reading everyone heart knew what they were up to. Not wanting to have nothing to do with the affairs of the government, not wanting to displace the evil government that was in place, He escaped to the mountains.

Which reminds me God's way is not mans way, His thoughts are not our thoughts.

Zechariah 4:6 Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.

And the mission God had sent His Son on, had nothing to do with this world, but it had everything to do with a spiritual kingdom, and at this time Jesus still had the main event ahead of Him, dying on the cross for our sins so there would be a Savior to save us from our sins.

Which reminds me, Jesus came on a mission, completed it, and the converting of sinful man is not by might, power, but by spirit, that is our undivided attention and ALL of our support should be in the Go, Teach, Baptize. while not getting caught up in the affairs of this world, for our citizenship is in heaven.

2Ti 2:4 No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Php 3:20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:

How many of us Christians rightly act like, live like, our conversation, our citizenship, is in heaven? How many of us act like all of our trust is in only Jesus? I believe many of us are getting way to comfortable, mixed up in, in love with, the affairs of this life, and those without, unbelievers, the atheist, the agnostic see though the act we live before them, and that hinders us from gaining more souls for that wonderful "Kingdom that is to come," which is our main mission in life.

The power is at the cross, and at the cross only, when ALL of our faith is placed there, that is when we truly walk under the power of God, not of self, and that is when we will have some success with the mission God has laid out before each of us while living this life.

2Co 4:7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

The only way we can give our children, our family members, our friends, and the lost a better life, is lead them to the cross, and that my friends is where we are suppose to put all of our resources. How many us are really doing that? It seems the early church members did this, and they had some pretty good success, but even them many refused, many hated them, and it will be the same for us if we truly put all of our eggs in one basket, that being Jesus and Jesus only, and we are open with it.

And I see that none see this side of the issue, but bicker post after post about this should not be on here. It would be nice if it would open the eyes of those that throw so much support behind the political system, and not all of their support behind the spiritual Kingdom as Jesus did.

And this can be picked to pieces I'm sure, but hopefully someone will take it to heart and understand its all about Jesus, and His way.

• Administrators

Jerry8, why is it that you can present your opinions, but if someone presents one contrary to yours - and even has scriptural backing - they are bickering? Pot calling kettle black, maybe?

As to the man's wife: actually, she knew quite well the kind of man she was marrying. He warned her, and instead of being wise and waiting until she was sure he could handle being faithful, she married him. She's one of Hillary's aides, so maybe it didn't really matter to her...

And Sarah Palin actually was correct. Revere did warn the British that they would not win...

Anyone with any brains knows that all politicians are not trustworthy. But to lump all people who run for office together is rather dishonest. There are some who are running who are what they present themselves to be. If you don't want to vote, that's your prerogative. Don't vote, but sit there and gripe about the results. That's fine. You have that right. But, so too do people have the right to vote. And you are wrong trying to make those who do feel wrong. After all, government is ordained of God. And the form of government we have was allowed for us by God. So, if we aren't to have any part of it, why did God ordain it? That's just a ridiculous thought, Jerry8. And a total cop-out (yes, you knew I'd respond, didn't you :icon_mrgreen:).

The problem with this thread and threads like them is not that Christians need to realize that politicians are wicked. As I said, anyone with brains is aware of that. The problem is that it isn't an appropriate subject for the main forum. We have ladies on here, we have teens on here. If you want to post this kind of stuff for, uh, edification, then please do it in the men's forum. Not political stuff - that's not a problem. But this junk with this guy is beyond the pale of decency.

• Members

Jerry8, why is it that you can present your opinions, but if someone presents one contrary to yours - and even has scriptural backing - they are bickering? Pot calling kettle black, maybe?

As to the man's wife: actually, she knew quite well the kind of man she was marrying. He warned her, and instead of being wise and waiting until she was sure he could handle being faithful, she married him. She's one of Hillary's aides, so maybe it didn't really matter to her...

And Sarah Palin actually was correct. Revere did warn the British that they would not win...

Anyone with any brains knows that all politicians are not trustworthy. But to lump all people who run for office together is rather dishonest. There are some who are running who are what they present themselves to be. If you don't want to vote, that's your prerogative. Don't vote, but sit there and gripe about the results. That's fine. You have that right. But, so too do people have the right to vote. And you are wrong trying to make those who do feel wrong. After all, government is ordained of God. And the form of government we have was allowed for us by God. So, if we aren't to have any part of it, why did God ordain it? That's just a ridiculous thought, Jerry8. And a total cop-out (yes, you knew I'd respond, didn't you :icon_mrgreen:).

The problem with this thread and threads like them is not that Christians need to realize that politicians are wicked. As I said, anyone with brains is aware of that. The problem is that it isn't an appropriate subject for the main forum. We have ladies on here, we have teens on here. If you want to post this kind of stuff for, uh, edification, then please do it in the men's forum. Not political stuff - that's not a problem. But this junk with this guy is beyond the pale of decency.

It's inappropriate and wrong for you to speak to an elder and a pastor as you are.

This is a forum, not a kitchen table where everyone sitting around must hear what is said. Just as none of us are forced to watch any particular TV show, none of us are forced to read a thread or participate in one.

• Members

It's inappropriate and wrong for you to speak to an elder and a pastor as you are.

This is a forum, not a kitchen table where everyone sitting around must hear what is said. Just as none of us are forced to watch any particular TV show, none of us are forced to read a thread or participate in one.

Ok John, if you think it is wrong I will be the second witness to the substance of the statement per 1 Timothy 5:19. I am sure we can find more witnesses to attest to it if necessary. Doesn't mean Jerry isn't a useful addition to the forum but we all have our flaws and that statement is just a fact. Also while it is true that no one is forced to read these threads I think in general most don't really want to hear about such things any more than we have to. I only clicked on it because of all the responses. If it had none I would not have bothered opening it. The world is full of enough such things as it is and your not going to find anyone on this forum defending or agreeing with his actions. Such things once were the focus of tabloids but now they are accepted as somehow highly news and discussion worthy. Edited by Seth-Doty

• Members

Ok John, if you think it is wrong I will be the second witness to the substance of the statement per 1 Timothy 5:19. I am sure we can find more witnesses to attest to it if necessary. Doesn't mean Jerry isn't a useful addition to the forum but we all have our flaws and that statement is just a fact. Also while it is true that no one is forced to read these threads I think in general most don't really want to hear about such things any more than we have to. I only clicked on it because of all the responses. If it had none I would not have bothered opening it. The world is full of enough such things as it is and your not going to find anyone on this forum defending or agreeing with his actions. Such things once were the focus of tabloids but now they are accepted as somehow highly news and discussion worthy.

I've tried to avoid the personal aspects here, not really sure why so many Christians want to make things personal. All I've pointed out is there are many topics some don't want to hear about and that's fine. For some, this story might prompt them to renew their efforts to guard their hearts, for some such a story might bring them to be more mindful of the potential dangers with some things, for some, such a story might do them no good. I don't think any of us participate in every thread and the reasons for this vary but it's clear any of us can choose to not read or participate in any particular thread.

Since this thread was posted I've heard preachers referencing this story, just as I once heard many preachers talking about Clinton and Monika. Apparently more than a few preachers have read of this news story and found cause or leading to speak to it.

Myself, I missed this story until it was posted here. I'm more concerned with how the media, politicians and the public in general have reacted. To me, that's the real story because there will always be sin and sinners abounding in this world, what changes is how such are viewed and dealt with. It saddens me that what happened isn't viewed or addressed for what it is (sin), but is first viewed in light of what is politically expedient. Worldly ideology and agendas are consulted rather than what is right or wrong, and certainly rather than what the Word of God says.

Like the war in Libya, this thread would have came to an end long ago had it not been turned into another matter.

May we bury self and not allow it to lead us where we ought not to go with one another.

• Members

To cloak posting something like this in the idea of hoping to raise Christian consciousness is what is wrong and inappropriate.

It is amazing to me that some Christian men cannot see that.

I see on the news today that he has resigned, having said he made a mistake. Our preacher recently said that public figures caught with their trousers down, said they had made a mistake whern they should have said they sinned. Their mistake was being found out.

Psalm 51: 1 ¶ «To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David, when Nathan the prophet came unto him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba.» Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.
2 Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.
3 For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.
4 Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest.
5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.
6 Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom.
7 ¶ Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
8 Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.
9 Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.
12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.
13 Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee.
14 ¶ Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, thou God of my salvation: and my tongue shall sing aloud of thy righteousness.
15 O Lord, open thou my lips; and my mouth shall shew forth thy praise.
16 For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering.
17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.
18 Do good in thy good pleasure unto Zion: build thou the walls of Jerusalem.
19 Then shalt thou be pleased with the sacrifices of righteousness, with burnt offering and whole burnt offering: then shall they offer bullocks upon thine altar.

• Members

I see on the news today that he has resigned, having said he made a mistake. Our preacher recently said that public figures caught with their trousers down, said they had made a mistake whern they should have said they sinned. Their mistake was being found out.

Psalm 51: 1 ¶ «To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David, when Nathan the prophet came unto him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba.» Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.
2 Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.
3 For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.
4 Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest.
5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.
6 Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom.
7 ¶ Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
8 Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.
9 Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.
12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.
13 Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee.
14 ¶ Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, thou God of my salvation: and my tongue shall sing aloud of thy righteousness.
15 O Lord, open thou my lips; and my mouth shall shew forth thy praise.
16 For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering.
17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.
18 Do good in thy good pleasure unto Zion: build thou the walls of Jerusalem.
19 Then shalt thou be pleased with the sacrifices of righteousness, with burnt offering and whole burnt offering: then shall they offer bullocks upon thine altar.

Today sin is ignored or disbelieved. When folks sin they simply "made a mistake" or "it was an accident". Prior to resigning, as part of his effort to hold onto his position, he said he was seeking "treatment" for whatever "caused" him to do those things. Again, denial of sin and denial of personal responsibility.

Hopefully this story will now go away.