• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

New half-naked photos: Rep. Weiner calls a news conference

• Members
Weiner Admits He Lied, But Won't Resign

And to think how hateful he was to the news media, and he is not going to give up his seat of power, he loves his position. They ought to throw his out, but they fear doing that, if they did others might get thrown out to.

Its a special gentlemen's club, and they take care of one another much like police do.

• Members

Weiner Admits He Lied, But Won't Resign

And to think how hateful he was to the news media, and he is not going to give up his seat of power, he loves his position. They ought to throw his out, but they fear doing that, if they did others might get thrown out to.

Its a special gentlemen's club, and they take care of one another much like police do.

When the government is full of dirty politicians they each try to cover for one another to help keep their sins hidden. I've always wondered if Newt hadn't been having an affair at the time, would he have pressed the Clinton impeachment harder.

• Members

Information, warning, prayer, discussion, etc.

John I understand your answer, but it does not answer "Why?"
Information is easy to get from the newspapers and media;
Warning? Any one of them has a bad record, and yet we vote for them (politicians--assuming he is a politician!)
Prayer? We ought to be praying regardless. Do we have to remind God of why we pray for him?
discussion--what good is done ion it? What changes? Where is the glory of it?
Many of these news type articles fall under the same scrutiny--why not watch Fox news instead?

• Members

John I understand your answer, but it does not answer "Why?"
Information is easy to get from the newspapers and media;
Warning? Any one of them has a bad record, and yet we vote for them (politicians--assuming he is a politician!)
Prayer? We ought to be praying regardless. Do we have to remind God of why we pray for him?
discussion--what good is done ion it? What changes? Where is the glory of it?
Many of these news type articles fall under the same scrutiny--why not watch Fox news instead?

I suppose it's a matter of perspective. Some folks like news postings, some don't. Some folks get their news from the internet, some from TV or radio, some from talking with others.

There is a difference between general prayer and specific prayer. I can say a general prayer for congress, for instance, but when I have a name and something specific to pray about then that's a different sort of prayer. As for Rep. Weiner, I had never heard of him before. Now I know who he is and I know some specific concerns/issues in his life.

For some, discussing this or considering it may do them no good. For others, it may serve as a warning, a reminder to be vigilant, to guard our hearts, to flee youthful lust.

• Members

I like news postings, but not this kind.

I wish these kind were not a factor and they do bother me but they are a reality we have to face.

Sexual sin is rampant and becoming more acceptable, or at least tolerated, especially if the "spin" is right.

We are near the same age so I know you remember the scandal of Gary Hart and the picture of "another woman" sitting on his lap (both were dressed and it was an outdoor photo). This ended his chance of becoming president.

Not many years later we have Bill Clinton with all sorts of torrid tales dogging him throughout his election campaign, and he was elected president! While president he continued his adulterous ways and much of the country thought him some sort of hero!

I really don't want to think about the sins of Barney Frank, but they were many (as you probably recall) and yet he's still in office.

Unfortunately, nearly the entire country has been ill effected by the sexual sins of various politicians. Do you recall how many actually declared that what Clinton did was actually a good thing because more teens were now having "safer sex"! :(

I agree with you, I don't like these news stories but if we fail to acknowledge them or address them, things only get worse. As I mentioned earlier, I wasn't aware of what this story was until I read it here.

How sad it is that millions of teens, and even pre-teens now, engage in sexting and sending immodest or even nude photos of themselves across cell phones and the internet. I would that Christian parents and the churches would do more to prepare and protect our children against such.

• Members

But they aren't something we "have to face" on a Christian forum. We all know evil is out there, but it doesn't have to be part of our conversations.

As I said, I wasn't even aware of this story until it was posted here.

That said, I can understand why some may choose to avoid such topics, just as some choose to avoid other topics.

• Members

But they aren't something we "have to face" on a Christian forum. We all know evil is out there, but it doesn't have to be part of our conversations.

Possibly this passage applies.

"Ephesians 5:11-12 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them. For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret."

• Members

Possibly this passage applies.

"Ephesians 5:11-12 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them. For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret."

As I've heard this preached upon, we must confront the sins in order to reprove them. What is "a shame even to speak of" is speaking of the "unfruitful works of darkness" in a positive manner, or in a gossiping manner.

John the Baptist called out Herod for his adultery, he "spoke" of the sin but he didn't in any way glorify or minimize the sin or talk about it in a manner to tantalize a crowd.