• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Have you heard the cicada's?

• Members

No, but plenty of blackbirds challenging each other. I try to echo one & keep up a whistling challenge. Occasionally I win, & he flies away.

Our garden in Southampton was almost the last place where the cicada's relative, the mole cricket (gryllotalpa) made it's last stand in England. A cricket 2" long, with front feet designed like a mole's for burrowing. With a call to match.

• Members

Heard them last night, along with the crickets. The woods are about 40' from our back yard, but you can't hear them in the house. I love the sounds of the outdoors. When I was a kid, we once lived in a one room cabin next to a swamp. It just had 1" thick board walls and a tin roof with no ceiling and no insualtion. So I could lie there in my bunk and listen to the owls, crickets and a chorus of a million frogs coming out of that swamp. In the Spring, a little bird would come in through a hole near the roof and nest in one of the rafters. I would watch her come in and could hear her babies as she fed them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Don't have cicadas here. I miss them.

But on the other hand, there's nothing quite as nice as listening to the breeze blow through the corn on a summer evening. Last night was so nice that my dog and I took the golf cart up to one of the fields and just walked. He chased deer and one fox, while I walked along and listened.

It's very peaceful to hear the wind through the corn, just punctuated every few minutes by an owl calling his mate.

A team of wild horses couldn't drag me back to the city.

• Members

Yes, but the cicadas drown out the birds and frogs, and there is nothing pretty about the sounds they make..

U.S. states braced for invasion of cicadas as they hatch after 13 years underground

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1386233/US-states-braced-cicadas-invasion-hatch-13-years-underground.html#ixzz1OzzqFipD

• Members

They seem to have now played out, I know longer hear their song, and I am happy not hearing their song. I would just rather hear the birds, frogs, and such.

In my part of Arkansas its already feels like summer, and summer comes to us officially on the 21. Its hot, dry, with a warm wind blowing briskly, burn ban is in effect. I think our temp today hit just over 98Âş. Its on its way down now setting at 97.4Âş.