Online Baptist

What is Sin?

:goodpost::amen: and I might add that if anyone ELSE wants to start a new thread about women wearing the pants in their family, or chopping their hair off short, then by all means go ahead and do so! Just do not attempt to hijack another thread for that purpose. Just don't expect me to post my opinions on there, because everyone here knows where I stand on the issue. I will not be drawn into a purposefully picked fight. That is why I do not post on the Fighting Fundamentals board - it is silly to me!

I have done my best to abide by the prinicples of Titus 2

Titus 2

1 But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine:
2 That the aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience.
3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;
4 That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,
5 To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.
6 Young men likewise exhort to be sober minded.
7 In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity,
8 Sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you.
9 Exhort servants to be obedient unto their own masters, and to please them well in all things; not answering again;
10 Not purloining, but shewing all good fidelity; that they may adorn the doctrine of God our Saviour in all things.
11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly
  • Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Advanced Member

I once told my son to put some trash in the back of the truck to be hauled to the dump. So he picked up all the "loose" trash, papers, debris, and junk from a clean-up we were doing and put that into the bed of the truck, not in bags, nor secured, just thrown in. Of course, it doesn't take rocket science to realize that doing so meant that as soon as we go down the road, trash, debris and garbage will be blown all over the place, not to mention making a mess in the truck bed.

When I saw it, I thought....now there's evidence of cerebellum jelly roll material. I point out the problem to my son who argued that he'd done as he was told. I said yes...but there is more to it than merely the letter, "I expected you to realize you'd have to go even beyond what I said in order to do what I said".

I think many times this is the case with scripture requirements for Godly living....some things, many I suspect, require that we go even further than is stated. Several verses allude to this I believe as well.... it may sometimes be a matter of "spiritual common sense".

• Independent Fundamental Baptist
I once told my son to put some trash in the back of the truck to be hauled to the dump. So he picked up all the "loose" trash, papers, debris, and junk from a clean-up we were doing and put that into the bed of the truck, not in bags, nor secured, just thrown in. Of course, it doesn't take rocket science to realize that doing so meant that as soon as we go down the road, trash, debris and garbage will be blown all over the place, not to mention making a mess in the truck bed.

When I saw it, I thought....now there's evidence of cerebellum jelly roll material. I point out the problem to my son who argued that he'd done as he was told. I said yes...but there is more to it than merely the letter, "I expected you to realize you'd have to go even beyond what I said in order to do what I said".

I think many times this is the case with scripture requirements for Godly living....some things, many I suspect, require that we go even further than is stated. Several verses allude to this I believe as well.... it may sometimes be a matter of "spiritual common sense".

Well said, but we don't like making that extra effort, or going beyond the call of duty, nor making any sacrifices.

Do we have tunnel vision?
  • Independent Fundamental Baptist

I guess to an extent we all do.....me for sure.

I know I do. And Paul seemed to recognize that he had a problem with this.

Just last week I told our congregation, there is so many times that I know to do certain things, them after the opportunity is past, I see what I just did and or missed doing.

I feel we all have this problem, some worse than others. But I think it is a problem within us that can be worked on, improved. The point here would be, do we recognize we have this problem, are we are improving, doing better today than we did yesterday, do better tomorrow than we did today, God's grace covers it, but I don't feel that God likes it at all if we use His grace as an excuse not to improve and grow in all areas of our life..

Archived