• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What is Sin?

• Members

Okay Bible Scholars, Preachers and laymen alike, the question is simple - what is sin?

I learned from the Bible that sin is the transgression of the law and all unrighteousness is sin.

Now I am interested in learning what everyone elses' opinion is regarding what SIN is, what kinds of things are sin or are not sin, etc. I believe that too many preachers are way too soft on sin - and tend to sugar coat the Truth. All of this sugar is spoiling the congregations and when they found out that the Truth isn't sweet, they get real upset. I will not post this in the general forum, because I want to make this specific to the IFB community.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Well it occured to me that some people make distinctions between what is okay and what is sort of okay and then what is actually classified as a sin. So how is sin classified - how can we identify and name sin if we aren't sure what sin is and what it is supposed to mean? Is it all black and white, or are there "shades of gray" regarding sinful issues?

• Members

One thing is certain, where the Bible speaks clearly as to a particular sin, it's sin; such as homosexuality, murder, rape robbery.

Where the Bible is less clear then there is room for discussion. Scripture says women are to have long hair and men are to have short hair however there is no specific length or guideline give in Scripture for what constitutes long enough or short enough. This opens the door for what some would call "gray areas".

There are also things the Bible is totally silent on which we must attempt to apply biblical principles to in order to come to a conclusion. Are cards evil and to be avoided as sin or is playing a game of Go Fish an acceptable use of cards while using cards to gamble playing poker would be sin?

• Members

The Bible is written for all men thru the ages, within it you can find the principles to cover any sin, or sinful situation.

No, it does not say "Thou shall not watch XXX rated movies," but the principle is surely there.

Can you imagine all them gather around trying to figure out what XXX rated movies where back in the early days?

But of course when God inspired man to write the Bible He knew exactly what they were.

Of course many are not going to consider something a sin unless there is a shall not, but the truth is they don't care if they sin or not.

And yes, many pastor sugar coat sin in order to keep their job, but all sin is ugly, even the smallest sin.

Quite amazingly God even tells us to avoid even the appearance of evil.

And actually that should not be grievous to us. But many feel they have the liberty to do anything, even if it becomes a stumbling block for someone.

But truly, does it not prove just how much we love our Father and Savior by how we avoid even the appearance of evil?

1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Romans 12:1-2 (KJV)

How many of us really live our lives a living sacrifice as described in these verses from Romans?

Thinking about that, ought to make us all really appreciate the grace God offer us, and never use grace as an excuse like many of us do.

• Moderators

then there are the ones that most people want to downplay, excuse, justify, and not classify as sin - including,but not limited to : thoughts of foolishness, idle talk, worry. Seldom does a preacher come right out and say that it is sin, needs to be repented of and victory sought for.

• Members
then there are the ones that most people want to downplay' date=' excuse, justify, and not classify as sin - including,but not limited to : thoughts of foolishness, idle talk, worry. Seldom does a preacher come right out and say that it is sin, needs to be repented of and victory sought for.[/quote']

Some see to forget that it was quite a smile sin that threw man into this fallen state separate from God with the need of a Savior to die and suffer on the cross to save us from the depths of hell.
6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

7 And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.

Gen 3:6-7 (KJV)

• Members
The Bible is written for all men thru the ages, within it you can find the principles to cover any sin, or sinful situation.

No, it does not say "Thou shall not watch XXX rated movies," but the principle is surely there.

Can you imagine all them gather around trying to figure out what XXX rated movies where back in the early days?

But of course when God inspired man to write the Bible He knew exactly what they were.

Of course many are not going to consider something a sin unless there is a shall not, but the truth is they don't care if they sin or not.

And yes, many pastor sugar coat sin in order to keep their job, but all sin is ugly, even the smallest sin.

Quite amazingly God even tells us to avoid even the appearance of evil.

And actually that should not be grievous to us. But many feel they have the liberty to do anything, even if it becomes a stumbling block for someone.

But truly, does it not prove just how much we love our Father and Savior by how we avoid even the appearance of evil?

1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Romans 12:1-2 (KJV)

How many of us really live our lives a living sacrifice as described in these verses from Romans?

Thinking about that, ought to make us all really appreciate the grace God offer us, and never use grace as an excuse like many of us do.

:goodpost::amen::goodpost: :amen:

• Members

well, everyone seems to accept the verse "for all have sinned and come short of the glory of God." that is maybe what led them to become saved. but what about after that? once a person is saved, do they still need to try to walk the straight and narrow, or can they live however they want to live because now they have had all of their sins covered?

• Administrators

Janet, of course we can't live however we want to live (I'm sure you know that... :Green ). The Bible is clear that we are not our own, we are bought with the precious blood of Jesus, so we belong to God in body and in spirit.

We are told that we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works. That means, of course, that after we are saved, we are to do right. There are commands in the Bible we are to follow - that would be the black and white, no questions. Then there are principles in the Bible we are to follow. I believe that is also black and white, no questions. But many people don't. And other people's versions of black and white are often different.

That's where the problem comes in. Principles of scripture are to be applied to our lives under the guidance and teaching of the Holy Spirit. But too often people want to apply the principles after filtering them through the world. That doesn't work.

On the other hand, there are people who aren't willing to see that something isn't violating a command or a principle, and therefore isn't sin. KWIM?

John brought up the issue of playing cards. We would all be in agreement that gambling is sin (at least, I'm assuming, by the polls Janet did). But would just the cards be sin? I personally don't believe that playing Go Fish is a sin. But if the conscience pricks, or if there is a Christian who has had trouble with gambling, then I think the cards should be avoided. Now, we don't play cards, FYI.

Playing cards doesn't give the appearance of evil, either, unless one is in an atmosphere that lends to it. If just sitting around the table gave that appearance, then Uno and other non-traditional card games would be wrong - 'cause how would anyone know what you're playing. Does that make sense?

In issues where scriptural principle or command are not obvious, then I believe that the head of the home is responsible for making the decision under the leadership of the Holy Spirit.

T.V. is another example. It is not in and of itself sinful (nor is the computer). But, oh, what horrid things can be seen on there, unleashed into our homes and our minds if we aren't careful. Some people handle that by not having a t.v. Some people moderate their viewing. We don't have a television, never have in almost 23 years of marriage. But we know people who do (as I know many on here do). Do we condemn them and say they aren't spiritually as mature as we are because of it? Of course not! The Bible doesn't say not to have one ( :duh duh!), nor does it teach in principle that the ownership of one is a sin...principle and command would teach that viewing certain things is, though.

then there are the ones that most people want to downplay' date=' excuse, justify, and not classify as sin - including,but not limited to : thoughts of foolishness, idle talk, worry. Seldom does a preacher come right out and say that it is sin, needs to be repented of and victory sought for.[/quote'] Amen! You'd love to hear our preacher preach! Last night's message was on going to a brother who's offended you, going to one you might have offended, not allowing hurt to become bitterness, not allowing bitterness to remain...He doesn't pull any punches on what a lot of people consider "little" sins.

• Members

I know for fact, many think that once they have been saved from hell, they can live anyway they chose, that it makes no difference.

They feel being as there is not a sin that will now send us to hell we're safe, so we are going to enjoy life to its fullest. I've heard this from people who attend church regularly and from those who only attend on special occasions.

My son-in-laws mother feels this way, she found her last 2 husbands in the barrooms. I might add, her and her husbands have always attended barrooms much more frequently than church services. You know, church services is not as exciting as the barroom are at nighttime.

• Members
One thing is certain, where the Bible speaks clearly as to a particular sin, it's sin; such as homosexuality, murder, rape robbery.

Where the Bible is less clear then there is room for discussion. Scripture says women are to have long hair and men are to have short hair however there is no specific length or guideline give in Scripture for what constitutes long enough or short enough. This opens the door for what some would call "gray areas".

There are also things the Bible is totally silent on which we must attempt to apply biblical principles to in order to come to a conclusion. Are cards evil and to be avoided as sin or is playing a game of Go Fish an acceptable use of cards while using cards to gamble playing poker would be sin?

if the bible says that God hates something, but a Christian chooses to do it anyway, is that a sin?

16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

by these verses does it mean that it is a sin to look proud? to tell a lie? to cause someone who is innocent to be harmed? (i am thinking a car accident , DUI, etc.)
sitting around and thinking up bad things to do to people? running down the street to get invovled in something that you know will led to trouble? saying false things against people? purposelly sowing anger and troublemaking among true Christ followers? (not truthfully attempting to bring someone into the light of the Gospel - which angers many sometimes!)

is it a sin to gossip - even though the word gossip is not specifically mentioned in the Bible? I have seen nothing but pure gossip bring a really good preacher down and tear a church apart...

Leviticus 19:16 Thou shalt not go up and down as a talebearer among thy people: neither shalt thou stand against the blood of thy neighbour: I am the LORD.
Proverbs 11:13 A talebearer

• Administrators

if the bible says that God hates something, but a Christian chooses to do it anyway, is that a sin? Ayup! Breaking God's law is sin...if God says He hates it we're to avoid it!

16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

by these verses does it mean that it is a sin to look proud? to tell a lie? to cause someone who is innocent to be harmed? (i am thinking a car accident , DUI, etc.) Ayup
sitting around and thinking up bad things to do to people? running down the street to get invovled in something that you know will led to trouble? saying false things against people? purposelly sowing anger and troublemaking among true Christ followers? (not truthfully attempting to bring someone into the light of the Gospel - which angers many sometimes!)

is it a sin to gossip - even though the word gossip is not specifically mentioned in the Bible? I have seen nothing but pure gossip bring a really good preacher down and tear a church apart...Ayup

Leviticus 19:16 Thou shalt not go up and down as a talebearer among thy people: neither shalt thou stand against the blood of thy neighbour: I am the LORD.
Proverbs 11:13 A talebearer

• Members
Janet, of course we can't live however we want to live (I'm sure you know that... :Green ). The Bible is clear that we are not our own, we are bought with the precious blood of Jesus, so we belong to God in body and in spirit.

We are told that we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works. That means, of course, that after we are saved, we are to do right. There are commands in the Bible we are to follow - that would be the black and white, no questions. Then there are principles in the Bible we are to follow. I believe that is also black and white, no questions. But many people don't. And other people's versions of black and white are often different.

That's where the problem comes in. Principles of scripture are to be applied to our lives under the guidance and teaching of the Holy Spirit. But too often people want to apply the principles after filtering them through the world. That doesn't work.

On the other hand, there are people who aren't willing to see that something isn't violating a command or a principle, and therefore isn't sin. KWIM?

John brought up the issue of playing cards. We would all be in agreement that gambling is sin (at least, I'm assuming, by the polls Janet did). But would just the cards be sin? I personally don't believe that playing Go Fish is a sin. But if the conscience pricks, or if there is a Christian who has had trouble with gambling, then I think the cards should be avoided. Now, we don't play cards, FYI.

Playing cards doesn't give the appearance of evil, either, unless one is in an atmosphere that lends to it. If just sitting around the table gave that appearance, then Uno and other non-traditional card games would be wrong - 'cause how would anyone know what you're playing. Does that make sense?

In issues where scriptural principle or command are not obvious, then I believe that the head of the home is responsible for making the decision under the leadership of the Holy Spirit.

T.V. is another example. It is not in and of itself sinful (nor is the computer). But, oh, what horrid things can be seen on there, unleashed into our homes and our minds if we aren't careful. Some people handle that by not having a t.v. Some people moderate their viewing. We don't have a television, never have in almost 23 years of marriage. But we know people who do (as I know many on here do). Do we condemn them and say they aren't spiritually as mature as we are because of it? Of course not! The Bible doesn't say not to have one ( :duh duh!), nor does it teach in principle that the ownership of one is a sin...principle and command would teach that viewing certain things is, though.

I think understand wat you mean :goodpost::amen:

Suppose you have someone in your family who likes to cheat - no matter what game you try to play with them, they try to cheat - be it cards, checkers or whatever. Then it would be best not to play these games when they are around, because it might cause them to stumble, right? Or if you have a television and someone is addicted to all the naughtiness, or to fooball games, etc., then you would not have a tv around to feed that addiction.

I grew up withou tv, but nowdays people think you are some kind if freak if you do not have tv.

• Members

what about this verse:

1 Corinthians 5:11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.

Am I to assume that if someone is insisting on particpating in these things, even though it is contrary to scriptures, that I am not to associate myself with them? That seems really harsh, don't you think? What if I just say to myself, its okay for other people to do these things, but that doesn't mean I have to. Would it be a sin for me to continue to have company with these sorts of "friends?"
[quote]
[b]fornicator[/b]
FORN'ICATOR, n.
1. An unmarried person, male or female, who has criminal conversation with the other sex; also, a married man who has sexual commerce with an unmarried woman. [See Adultery.]

2. A lewd person.

3. An idolater.
[b]
covetous[/b]
COVETOUS, a.
1. Very desirous; eager to obtain; in a good sense; as covetous of wisdom, virtue or learning.
2. Inordinately desirous; excessively eager to obtain and possess; directed to money or goods, avaricious.
A bishop must not be covetous. 1 Timothy 3.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
covetously
COVETOUSLY, adv. With a strong or inordinate desire to obtain and possess; eagerly; avariciously.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
covetousness
COVETOUSNESS, n.
1. A strong or inordinate desire of obtaining and possessing some supposed good; usually in a bad sense, and applied to an inordinate desire of wealth or avarice.
Out of the heart proceedeth covetousness. Mark 7.
Mortify your members--and covetousness which is idolatry. Colossians 3.
2. Strong desire; eagerness.

[b]idolater[/b]
IDOL'ATER, n. [L. idololatra. See Idolatry.]
1. A worshiper of idols; one who pays divine honors to images, statues, or representations of any thing made by hands; one who worships as a deity that which is not God; a pagan.
2. An adorer; a great admirer

[b]railer[/b]
RA'ILER, n. One who scoffs, insults, censures or reproaches with [u]opprobriou[/u]s language.
(edited to add this word - I had to look that up too! :coffee )
[b]opprobrious[/b]
OPPRO'BRIOUS, a. [See Opprobrium.]
1. Reproachful and contemptuous; scurrilous; as opprobrious language; opprobrious words or terms.
2. Blasted with infamy; despised; rendered hateful; as an opprobrious name.

[b]drunkard[/b]
DRUNKARD, n. One given to ebriety or an excessive used of strong liquor; a person who habitually or frequently is drunk.
A drunkard and a glutton shall come to poverty. Proverbs 23.

[b]extortion[/b]
EXTOR'TION, n. The act of extorting; the act or practice of wresting any thing from a person by force,duress, menaces, authority,or by any undue exercise of power; illegal exaction; illegal compulsion to pay money, or to do some other act. Extortion is an offense punishable at common law.
1. Force or illegal compulsion by which any thing is taken from a person.
[b]extortioner[/b]
EXTOR'TIONER, n. One who practices extortion.
Extortioners shall not inherit the kingdom of God. 1 Cor.6 [/quote]